Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    You fall, we haul. Saving your Ass is my business
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Is conserve mp worth it on blu?

AS title state i just got zephry mantle, so is it worth it to set conserve mp or just say screw it and set DD spells instead..66blu btw if that changes anything

Maybe at 66 since you don't have more useful spells, but at 75 I don't set any of the 4 spells on most occasions to get conserve MP. Most BLU spells aren't that high of an MP cost either, so what you're saving MP on would be minimal anyways.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I have Chaotic Eye + Zephyr Mantle equipped 99.9% of the time. It's only 4 points, and while I can't say I could even eyeball how often the Conserve MP proc's, it just makes sense to have it on for such a little cost. I'd much rather have that than, say, a spell that's equipped just for STR+1 or something.

Maybe if I finished up my assimilation merits (1/5 :[) I could do it, but for limbus/assault/nyzul my setup is generally:

Head Butt
    Frenetic Rip
    Hysteric Barrage
    Disseverment
    Cannonball
    Refueling
    Magic Fruit
    Plasma Charge
    Actinic Burst
    Healing Breeze
    Cocoon
    Sheep Song
    Diamondhide

I think that's about it. Gets the job done with auto-regen/refresh/acc bonus (not sure of what else off the top of my head) and allows me to stoneskin my party, curaga2 my party, sleep mobs that may be resistant to dark based sleep, and make distortion/light skill chains. Works very nicely with my low man limbus group.

conserve MP is random ofcourse, but assuming you spend enough MP over time, it often compares to having auto-refresh over a long time, and can even save more MP then another 1mp a tick would give you over the long term.

alot of the BLUs I know tend to set it. and if I was a blu, I'd probably set it aswell.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Why not just take Hysteric Barrage out Tormentor? I guess if you're in Limbus and need Blunt.

But Conserve MP is one of the best things us BLU can set. 7% more spells {Yes, Please}. Especially if you're exp'ing where you won't have as many breaks to rest MP as in events.

If I need more versatility then I'll maybe throw it under the bus, altho with pangs in my heart.

With refresh, af2 body and auto-refresh, I always seem pretty good on MP. I liked having HB as another quick damage if needed, or on some mobs where I can't DoT them.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Tormentormike View Post
    Maybe if I finished up my assimilation merits (1/5 :[) I could do it, but for limbus/assault/nyzul my setup is generally:

Head Butt
    Frenetic Rip
    Hysteric Barrage
    Disseverment
    Cannonball
    Refueling
    Magic Fruit
    Plasma Charge
    Actinic Burst
    Healing Breeze
    Cocoon
    Sheep Song
    Diamondhide

I think that's about it. Gets the job done with auto-regen/refresh/acc bonus (not sure of what else off the top of my head) and allows me to stoneskin my party, curaga2 my party, sleep mobs that may be resistant to dark based sleep, and make distortion/light skill chains. Works very nicely with my low man limbus group.
    Unless I need specific spells, I tend to set the following spells:

Bludgeon (Good to finish off mobs)
    Cocoon (Cause it's nice to have incase)
    Head Butt
    Chaotic Eye (Silence + Conserve MP)
    Refueling
    Hysteric Barrage
    Frenetic Rip
    Disseverment
    Plasma Charge
    AB
    Frost Breath (Magic DMG spell and Conserve MP)

After this I have a few points to modify as needed. For example, I might want Blank Gaze and Sheep Song for Nyzul Isle. Conserve MP > Auto-Regen imo.

Yeah, no doubt conserve mp is more useful than auto regen, but I keep sheep song on as my light based sleep, and healing breeze to help out with healing/capping off members HP.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Tormentormike View Post
    With refresh, af2 body and auto-refresh, I always seem pretty good on MP. I liked having HB as another quick damage if needed, or on some mobs where I can't DoT them.
    Sorry for the de-rail, but I'm just curious--in what order do you prefer the big 3? Like which do you use most? For me it'd probably go Diss>FR>>>HB. I don't know why but I've never been a huge fan of hysteric barrage. I'm sure part of it is that I hate my hands for it--Alky's are in my normal spellset. Also, my dissapointment in the spell compared to FR when I first tried it it out--pretty much as strong as FR.

Dissverment first, then either or really. I get some random wtf damage from HB some of the time, then I try again and get disappointed :[

A. Body
    BG Level

Conserve MP isn't hard to set and the spells that set it the cheapest can be pretty useful.

Go for the trait, but I personally don't try to force it on gear.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Personally I set firespit and zephyr mantle 3 STR and conserve mp. I also have magnetic earring / suppa set for spell casting. I find i usually have 1 or 2 blu points left laying around when I use chaotic eye/zephyr anyhow.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Yes, you should always set Conserve MP. As someone else mentioned, it comes out to averaging 7% less mp used for each cast, so if you have 600 mp, you effectively have 642. Most of us are going to equip Firespit anyway for the 3 str, so just ask yourself this: If there was a spell that cost 2 set points and gave you 42 mp and did nothing else, would you set it? Personally, I would, since that's such a nice upgrade for a cheap cost.