• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level

First time build shopping, would like some insight

This is the first time I'll be building and shopping for parts, all the previous computers I've had were hand-me-downs from the sisters. Naturally, I dunno wtf to do but if people insist that building is as simple as legos, I'll try. Budget is $1000 max including shipping, not looking for monitors/speakers at the moment. I'll be mainly using this for games and a shitton of music.

So far, this is what I've been recommended:

I was looking at this instead of the HDD listed, some other guy suggested an HD 4850 rather than the 9800. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Personally, I'm a fan of having more than one HDD. I would argue that you don't really need a single 1TB guide unless you are positive you'll use that space often, and if you need more room later on, you can always get another one. It's always a bummer when a HDD dies/has problems and you have no potential backup/replacement.

There are other reasons to stick with something smaller, but the 640GB also has SATA 3.0GB/s, same RPM, etc. -- I don't believe you truly have to "upgrade." Buying another HDD later if you really feel you need it (or want to get into RAID) would be fine.

Aside from that, it looks pretty good to me, but I'd wait for a few more people to throw in their opinions. The switch to Radeon definitely won't hurt you, but EVGA provides excellent customer support if you stick with that card. They are very helpful, and they're generous if you ever need a replacement.

Also, "Mischief Makers" is groovy.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Might want some thermal grease for in between the cpu and heatsink. Can't remember if Intel has back packing some in with the cpu or not. Everything looks ok to me, nice bang for the buck setup. I'm not a fan of Antec cases, but that one looks good, power supply mounting on the bottom is something I will probably look for in my next case. Have fun putting it together!

I have a HD4850, I fucking love it. Plays any MMO I've tried on max settings.

Also, I'd suggest you buy an E8400 or E8500 over that Q6600, they're pretty damn sexy.

I'd also suggest some extra cooling, in my opinion hardware is at the stage where it's much more likely that your CPU will be obsolete before the strain of a moderate over-clock will burn it out. The Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro-7 is an excellent choice, decent performance at very low cost. I'm running an E8400 with that cooling on there, and it's clocked at 3.6Ghz, and I'm certain it could do more, but I'm happy with a nice 20% boost.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
    Item #:N82E16811146047
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$10.00 Instant
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $119.99
    $109.99

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    Item #:N82E16822136319
    Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy
    $84.99

HIPER Type M II HPU-5M730 730W Continuous @ 40°C (Maximum Continuous Peak: 930W) Power Supply
    Item #:N82E16817128021
    Return Policy: Manufacturer Warranty
    -$30.00 Instant
    $139.99
    $109.99

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q
    Item #:N82E16827151173
    $27.99

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 100257L Video Card
    Item #:N82E16814102797
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$30.00 Instant
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $259.99
    $229.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Item #:N82E16820231166
    Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy
    -$5.00 Instant
    $64.99
    $59.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    Item #: N82E16819115037
    Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

ASUS P5Q Pro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Item #: N82E16813131299
    -$15.00 Instant
    -$30.00 Combo
    $15.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $294.98
    $249.98

Total: $872.92
    MIR : $55

Grand Total: 817.92

That's basically what I've been eyeing for myself (though I might end up going with the 1gb GPU)

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

For the uses you gave, I would echo the suggestion for a faster Dual Core versus the Quad. The Q6600 is a nice CPU, but the higher clockspeed on an E8400/E8500 for similar money will serve you better for most games.

Also echo the notion for main/data drives and all that.

I went with a 4850 as well, and it's been nice. 9800GTX+ should be good too though.

E. Body
    BG Level

Alright, here's what I got so far. These are the right parts/anything else to add?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Since they're OEM, cabling for the HDD and DVD-ROM (if the motherboard doesn't come with some)? Maybe some twist ties if you don't already have any (and they're cheap enough on NewEgg) so you can keep the cabling neat inside.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Since they're OEM, cabling for the HDD and DVD-ROM (if the motherboard doesn't come with some)? Maybe some twist ties if you don't already have any (and they're cheap enough on NewEgg) so you can keep the cabling neat inside.
    I have no idea what that means, mind explaining and pointing out some products on Newegg?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Kais View Post
    I have no idea what that means, mind explaining and pointing out some products on Newegg?

He means the SATA cables from the dvd burner and hard drive <-> motherboard. OEM are parts that don't come in consumer type packaging. "original equipment manufacturer" It's product packaged the way say Dell would recieve a shipment of Sony DVD burners that they're going to put in their computers. You don't get all the extra stuff. If you buy an OEM CPU you may not get the heatsink with it, but you will if you buy the retail version. You should get some with your motherboard seeing as it is the retail version.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Motherboard normally includes those cables.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

As they mentioned, retail motherboard packages usually come with cabling. I didn't know if this one would have enough, and I was too lazy to check earlier. Since then, though, I checked out that mobo's retail package on NewEgg, and it appears to have two SATA cables, which is exactly what you need.

Twist ties are definitely good to have. Always helps to be tidy, and neat cables means better airflow. Since this is your first time, keeping your cabling organized is a good practice to get into. When you're done, just double-check things to make sure no wiring, twist tie edges, etc., are going to come in contact with your fans (taking gravity into account too, since you'll be working on the machine on its side, and will be operating it later in the upright position).

E. Body
    BG Level

Gotcha, thanks

Friend directed me to this, how does it stack up to the G.Skill? And is the video card alright?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Mushkin memory is fine too, and that's a good card, so I believe you'll be fine. You can keep the G Skill, unless you really want to change. The Mushkin is naturally faster just because it's a higher rated memory, but you aren't overclocking or anything so you don't really need to nitpick every last thing.

E. Body
    BG Level

Alright, one last thing before I get ready to order, do I need a sound card at all considering I'm using this for music? Also, if I buy another HDD, considering the Western Digital is OEM, would I need another cable or would the mobo provide the cables for the two?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Motherboards I've seen recently have included several SATA cables, so you should be set as far as that goes.

You don't -need- a sound card. Depending on the integrated sound, and your preference, you may -want- one, but I'd certainly try the built-in stuff first unless you're sure it won't cut it.

I haven't bought a sound card since my Soundblaster 16.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Honestly you may as well overclock some. With that CPU/MB combo, along with most any 3rd party hsf, you can get 3.4-3.6 very easily.

Personally I'd look at the asus 4850 it's slightly oc'd out of the box and only $5 more. Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

May consider the WD black series. It's normally about $10 more, but has double the cache and longer warranty.

just a few personal preferences... I don't see any glaring issues. looks like a decent build.

RAM choice isn't huge g-skill would be fine though if it's cheaper. even with a mild overclock pc6400 is fine.

and don't spend anything on a soundcard now. not until you try the onboard first.