+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Jailer of Love strategy help

Hey all,

I did this fight a long time ago with about 32-35 ppl and it was pretty easy. We have nowhere near the manpower as i had awhile back, im thinking we can get about 20-22 ppl for this fight. Would this be sufficient? I heard JOL was weakened from when i fought him 3 years ago. We can probably get about 5 blm for this fight. Should i have just 3 tanks pull each add back and have 3-4 blm just Ga them down then rest until his high regen is broken? How should the DD go as well? I know he wont melee the tank if they stand a certain distance from him, but he will melee anyone who gets near him. I was thinking of having a pld/rdm or pld/nin with magic def gear just spam flash and other spells on him for hate and have a few sams SC then back away as a few blm magic burst. Would this a decent strategy for how low of numbers we have? Any helps appreciated.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Only done this once, post patch, but here's my 2 cents.

We had 2 RDM/NIN tank him out of melee range (but not far enough away to get drawn in). People use PLD/RDM, PLD/DRK, PLD/NIN, doesnt really matter, anyone that can spam spells for hate and have a decent MDB build can tank him easily.

We had a RDM/NIN Diaga the summons and 5 BLM -aga them down. If we got a resist or an AFK BLM, melee ran over and helped kill them.

Once regen is broken we just threw a KC DRK and Fort Axe DRK at it, with other DDs coming in to spam WS until SE was up, and it took us about 20 minutes on our first attempt to kill him. (After regen was broken) BLMs never really did anything to Love, just had them focused on summons, but I'm sure nuking would speed it up.

Total fight time was under an hour, first time doing it for most of us, and we had about 23 people there.

Alliance setup was:

RDM/NIN, RDM/NIN, BRD/WHM, WHM/SCH, RDM/BLM, PLD/RDM (In case a RDM died)

RDM/NIN, 5 BLM/RDM

WHM/SCH, BRD/WHM, DRK with SE ready, DD DD DD (Rotated whoever had TP to run in and WS)

Oh yeah, cure the DRKs if you're gonna use SE, don't waste two hours though, not needed.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There is no reason you should ever wait to put damage on it, or have melee for "Souleater only" or even rotated for TP purposes. We've killed it in 15 minutes, maybe even faster, without resorting to silly things like KC DRK. Throw your melee on full time from the very beginning, and make sure you give them a bard.

JoL 101:

Allaince Setup:

Party 1
    Tank (PLD/RDM, RDM/xxx, Anything that can make hate and take a hit)
    Tank ""
    BRD
    WHM
    RDM
    ____

Party 2
    DRG/nin (Angon #1)
    DD/thf
    DD
    BRD
    COR
    ___

Party 3
    DRG (Angon #2)
    DD/THF
    BRD
    COR
    ___
    ___

Outside allaince:

BLM x5+

one of the ___ should be a TH3 or 4

Party 3 is optional.

The above party takes JoL down in 15~ mins.

Postion so that the Tanks are outside the mouth of the den. BLM off to the side just in range of targeting tanks.

When JoL Summons, adds move towards tanks, blms -ga3 them they die, cake.

For damage, as soon as tanks have JoL postioned. DDs can start damage, since he has rather high regen untill 1 set of summons now, you wont see him go down fast to start, but it will start to move very quick after 2-3 sets. Usually he is dead by 5-6. This is without 2hrs. We did 4 JoLs, then another night did 3. So we didnt use 2hours.

Angon on full time will DRASTCLY increase kill time. 2 DRGs rotating this is awesome.
    Dia III - Duh.

DRGs dont have to sub war, but its nice to have them as trick buddies for your DD/THF so that you can SATA on the DRG, DRG super jumps, no hate.

WHM in tank party will be bored, but needs to be quick on d-na spells. and learn range so they dont get hit by breakga.

JoL was nerfed on Def, HP, etc, but his offensive output is the same, so he will tend to one shot DDs that pull hate. His magic still tickles if your not in any sort of MDB gear set, and no Shellra5/Aegis

You probably could do this with 12~ if you have the time. If your BLMs in the adds kill party are lazy or not paying attention, you can have a mess really quick.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

How will the tank who is standing out of melee range hold hate if melee are on it full time like that? Wont JOL start meleeing whoever is range that is hitting it then? We have very low numbers so if we try it that style and he kills a few ppl quickly, it will cause us more downtime.

PLD/rdm, RDM/nin, RDM/blu, RDM/war, PLD/drk.

All those can tank it just fine without bein in melee range.

Just cast spells.

thats .. about... it.

If your tanks stand in melee range, they will be anihilated in a few seconds, JoL hits like a 10 ton nuke.

If your PLDs or RDMs arent use to this type of tanking, you may want them to read the newbie section, there are quite a few good posts on it, and belkin i think has a live journal with a ton of good info on the tanking style in it.

edit:

As long as your Melee dont act like retards, they wont pull hate off the tanks. (unless your tanks are doing it wrong, or your whm is over curing the tanks).
    SAMs tend to get hate at some point, which is easily fixed via JoL punching them in the face, they die, hate reset. keep your BLMS on the adds to -ga burn. Adds not getting killed is the #1 way to mess up JoL. Outside the adds, this fight is a total zzzz fest.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmoon View Post
    PLD/rdm, RDM/nin, RDM/blu, RDM/war, PLD/drk.

All those can tank it just fine without bein in melee range.

Just cast spells.

thats .. about... it.

If your tanks stand in melee range, they will be anihilated in a few seconds, JoL hits like a 10 ton nuke.

If your PLDs or RDMs arent use to this type of tanking, you may want them to read the newbie section, there are quite a few good posts on it, and belkin i think has a live journal with a ton of good info on the tanking style in it.

edit:

As long as your Melee dont act like retards, they wont pull hate off the tanks. (unless your tanks are doing it wrong, or your whm is over curing the tanks).
    SAMs tend to get hate at some point, which is easily fixed via JoL punching them in the face, they die, hate reset. keep your BLMS on the adds to -ga burn. Adds not getting killed is the #1 way to mess up JoL. Outside the adds, this fight is a total zzzz fest.

Will 4 blm be sufficient for the 3 ads? I wonder how much HP they have and wonder if 4 thundaga 3 would kill them all. The only time i ever did this fight, i was nuking in main ally >.>.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

4 blm is ok but shitsux when 1 of them dies. MAKE SURE THEY ALL USE FOOD AND DON'T GIMP OUT. Once we had our blms not using them and the mobs would all have 1% HP and tp them -_-

However I don't think you even need blms on this fight, the monsters are week, you can probably even TP burn adds.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Just checked attendance, we did our last jol with 15.

smn pt = rdm/nin, blm/whm x4

That left 10 for the main "alliance"
    pld/rdm, a backup pld/rdm (maybe this one was /nin?), brd, whm, rdm, then 5 rngs and sams.

The pld/nin stood under the hood as usual out of JoL's melee range. We began dmg as soon as he was popped and the tanks built some hate. Once his regen was killed melee really pushed dmg, they had to lay off a couple times when he'd shift hate from the pld tank to a melee, but for the most part it was smooth. To answer a question I think I saw posted, no he will not attack the melee if the pld is out of melee range, he will just nuke the pld as normal.

The only glitch was a common one in which jol uses astral flow then sinate rushes the F out of the blm pt killing pretty much all of us. I think jol did this twice during the fight, once to the blm pt, and once to the main tank. But we were able to kill smns weakened and push through.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh View Post
    Just checked attendance, we did our last jol with 15.

smn pt = rdm/nin, blm/whm x4

That left 10 for the main "alliance"
    pld/rdm, a backup pld/rdm (maybe this one was /nin?), brd, whm, rdm, then 5 rngs and sams.

The pld/nin stood under the hood as usual out of JoL's melee range. We began dmg as soon as he was popped and the tanks built some hate. Once his regen was killed melee really pushed dmg, they had to lay off a couple times when he'd shift hate from the pld tank to a melee, but for the most part it was smooth. To answer a question I think I saw posted, no he will not attack the melee if the pld is out of melee range, he will just nuke the pld as normal.

The only glitch was a common one in which jol uses astral flow then sinate rushes the F out of the blm pt killing pretty much all of us. I think jol did this twice during the fight, once to the blm pt, and once to the main tank. But we were able to kill smns weakened and push through.

I was thinking of keeping Blm and Rng on jailer of love for DD, and have 3 nin pull the adds one by one and have the melee TP burn them due to our lack of brds. Do you think this will be more efficient for us since we lack brds? Also, i heard after you break regen, you can just have 2 nin hold one add that way JOL only spawns one every 2 1/2 min instead of his normal 3. Do you think this would be a good strategy too?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Is JOL possible with Tank PT + BLM party only? Pull Adds on top JoL and -ga JoL to kill the adds?

Something like:

PLD PLD RDM BRD WHM BLM

RDM/NIN BRD BLM BLM BLM BLM

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    There is no reason you should ever wait to put damage on it, or have melee for "Souleater only" or even rotated for TP purposes. We've killed it in 15 minutes, maybe even faster, without resorting to silly things like KC DRK. Throw your melee on full time from the very beginning, and make sure you give them a bard.
    Having never done the fight we went in cautious, but now I'd agree and we plan to next time.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

Quote Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
    Is JOL possible with Tank PT + BLM party only? Pull Adds on top JoL and -ga JoL to kill the adds?

Something like:

PLD PLD RDM BRD WHM BLM

RDM/NIN BRD BLM BLM BLM BLM
    I suppose it is, just gotta have good synced -ga3 casting because if you are casting on JoL and the time between de first and the 4-5th -ga3 is too slow the adds will be all over your BLMs. Also it might be so that you will hit an aern here and there if you -ga3 on JoL.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Least ammount we did jol with was,
    Tank pt:
    PLD/RDM
    NIN/DRK (full mdb set/resist sets for each phase)
    WHM
    WHM
    BRD/WHM
    RDM/WHM

DD pt:
    SAM/WAR
    SAM/WAR
    RDM/NIN

BLM pt:
    BLM/WHM
    BLM/RDM
    BLM/RDM
    BRD/WHM

Tank pt tank as normal, one either side of JoL, we pulled him away from the aerns where he spawns. RDM/NIN will diaga the smns and pull them to the blm pt (next to the treese/bushes) blms kill spawns with -ga. Sams were helping the blms kill spawns until his regen broke. after the regen breaks, BLMs focus on smns, sams just dd away on jol, took a while but thats all we had lol. Only worry is your blms getting raped by smns or if someone brings a goldfish when they come late and the blms -ga it, or if a blm DC's AFK's for too long, it can get messy but its doable.(we only got a fking halberd)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

on our last 2 JoLs i didnt check my notes before going in and tanks stood at 10' instead of 13', he used every tp move and it got pretty messy, i never remembered positioning being such a big deal in the past, we used this setup.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ellatrix/JoL.png
    anyone else have this problem? would 3' have really made him only use boost?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yes, also if you go to close the the water (the tank on the right) it will draw you in, i found out to my annoyance last jol.

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

We've never utilized melee to hold/kill pets. So I can't give any insight on that sorry.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

pld/rdm
    whm
    rdm
    brd
    thf/war
    sam/thf

blm/rdm x5
    brd

12 man JoL, ga3 down the pops, melees make darkness on all elements but ice, then make light. MB with freeze 2, 5 blms takes off about 10-12% on MB's.

any extra people usually just result in another blm pt for me.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Chojja View Post
    pld/rdm
    whm
    rdm
    brd
    thf/war
    sam/thf

blm/rdm x5
    brd

12 man JoL, ga3 down the pops, melees make darkness on all elements but ice, then make light. MB with freeze 2, 5 blms takes off about 10-12% on MB's.

any extra people usually just result in another blm pt for me.

This is like exactly what i was looking for. Couple questions...

1 GGhorn brd for BLMs?
    2. Assuming no GGhorn, do your blms ever have MP problems?

If you're fairly tank heavy, you can hold 2 of the summons and then only have to t4 the one that summons each time. You have to kill off all 3 summons until it's regen is broken, but after that you can hold 2 and it will only summon one. This way your blms have more mp to nuke JoL. But remember that regen needs to be broken or you will get stuck with 5 adds.