Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Need some major mage help!

Juuust hit 80 tonight, switched from frost for leveling to FFB for heroics/raids. I read up on EJ and wowhead a bit, is

Living Bomb > Hot Streak pyroblast > (scorch refresh) > ffb

the rotation i want to use? Is the hit cap 367 with 3/3 precision? And lastly, Do i need the scorch glyph? I was going to use LB, molten armor, and frostfire as my major glyphs.

Sorry for the mass of questions, but i'm excited about the mage, and yet switching to a whole new spec i feel completely over my head lol.

Should be using MA/Fireball(FFB)/Living bomb glyph. Apply Living bomb > Scorch x5 > FFB and refresh living bomb/scorch as needed.

For HS Pyro, you have two options. Scorch > HS Pyro or LB > HS Pyro. More often than not you'll be scorching, but if the LB timer is close you can wind up another fireball and then LB > Pyro. Also, stack crit, ignore haste on gear unless its a major SP/Hit upgrade. Each FFB crit with full talents and CSD is equal to ~3 FFBs.

For hit %, you're looking for 14% without a shadow priest. 11% with, 10% if you have a space goat.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

So manually casting 5 scorch in a row will actually give me better results? I'm suprised hammering that spell so much wouldnt make my dps dip. (I trust you, it's just a shock to me). Or is it just to get the 5 stack up, then make sure it doesn't drop off, forcing me to reapply all 5 stacks?

Thank you very much for all the info!

Edit: And if i'm understanding right, only bother with pyro when i have hotstreak? I used it for the first time and holy hell the cast time is loooong. Should i be sneaking in any fire blast? Or is that not worth the mana/GCD time?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Ravenholdt

So manually casting 5 scorch in a row will actually give me better results? I'm suprised hammering that spell so much wouldnt make my dps dip. (I trust you, it's just a shock to me). Or is it just to get the 5 stack up, then make sure it doesn't drop off, forcing me to reapply all 5 stacks?

Thank you very much for all the info!

Edit: And if i'm understanding right, only bother with pyro when i have hotstreak? I used it for the first time and holy hell the cast time is loooong. Should i be sneaking in any fire blast? Or is that not worth the mana/GCD time?
    Reason why you don't take the scorch glyph is because the LB glyph DPS increase outweighs the scorch cast times over the course of a long fight. At near 3.0 BIS gear levels, the LB glyph is a ~300+ DPS increase alone. Just remember to make sure that the scorch lands at ~2+ seconds so you don't have to restack because of a debuff bug. Also, no fireblast unless moving, and pyro shouldn't be in your rotation at all, unless you have the HS buff up.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Fantastic. Thank you very much for the info. I feel alot better about what i'm doing.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Is there much difference in dps between Mutilate and Combat using entry level gear? I'd rather just play Mutilate now until I get gear/weapons. If Combat is a lot better with weapons I could easily get, I'd go that route, though.

Any other advice for a new 80 rogue would be appreciated. I should be there within a day or so.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp View Post
    Is there much difference in dps between Mutilate and Combat using entry level gear? I'd rather just play Mutilate now until I get gear/weapons. If Combat is a lot better with weapons I could easily get, I'd go that route, though.

Any other advice for a new 80 rogue would be appreciated. I should be there within a day or so.
    I'm inclined to say a Mutilate build is really dependent on good weapons where a Combat build is less so, but somehow that seems counterintuitive...

The best answer is get the EJ spreadsheet and plug stuff in, experiment with it, find what works

Guitarman, until you have better gear, you'll probably find you do better dps as arcane

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

I haven't actually done any digging around for it but does anyone know of a mod or a method of getting rid of the droning sound effect that gets spammed whenever you hammer a spell that isn't ready?

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

#showtooltip <spell/item>
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 0
    /use <item>
    /run UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
    /console Sound_EnableSFX 1
    /cast <spell>

There are also addons which will remove the sound altogether or the red text, but I imagine you just want to suppress the sound and text on a particular macro you are mashing or something.

No_ErrorSounds1.01 - Audio - World of Warcraft Mods, Addons, and More!
    LayHideErrors : WoWInterface Downloads : Outdated Mods

blax n gunz
    BG Level

#showtooltip has never worked for me, ever. Is it part of some addon? Or is some addon I have installed blocking what ought to be in the default interface?

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

You have to set the default icon when creating the macro to the big red questionmark for #showtooltip to do anything.

Edit: You also don't have to specify what you're showing the tooltip of, it will automatically read through the macro and call the appropriate item based on the conditionals...for example I have a cat form stun macro as follows:

#showtooltip
    /cast [stealth]Pounce;[nostealth]Maim

And the tooltip/icon changes accordingly

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Are you just typing

#showtooltip

or are you typing like

#showtooltip Crusader Strike

?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Guitarman, until you have better gear, you'll probably find you do better dps as arcane
    Ok. I'll run a few heroics tonight as ffb then arcane tomorrow probably so i can compare. tyty

Ok. I'll run a few heroics tonight as ffb then arcane tomorrow probably so i can compare. tyty
    best mage advice I was given was to tinker with Rawr, so if you haven't, do so!

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    You have to set the default icon when creating the macro to the big red questionmark for #showtooltip to do anything.

Edit: You also don't have to specify what you're showing the tooltip of, it will automatically read through the macro and call the appropriate item based on the conditionals...for example I have a cat form stun macro as follows:

#showtooltip
    /cast [stealth]Pounce;[nostealth]Maim

And the tooltip/icon changes accordingly
    This is not true, I don't ever pick the red question mark and my tooltips show up fine. For most I use the same icon but even for my OSHI macro which I have a bunch of abilities macro'd into, the shield icon I chose still tooltips Unbreakable Armor which is the first thing cast in the macro.

You don't need to type anything after the showtooltip though, that part is right. Typing the name after it will show the correct tooltip if it's not showing up but you usually shouldn't have to. I notice sometimes exiting the macro menu and reopening it forces the tooltip to refresh or clicking another macro icon. It's iffy but it should work eventually.

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Ok, I misspoke slightly, you ahve to set it to the ? if you want it to show the icon of the spell(s) in the macro

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Grim Toll - Item - World of Warcraft

vs

Bandit's Insignia - Item - World of Warcraft

for DK. My hit rating is 116 atm, which is kinda low I think... But the other one has a huge AP boost + the add effect is pretty nice

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

I'd say grim toll all the way till you're hit capped. One you can reach the hit cap via other means on armour then take out the toll and replace with a pure dps trinket. But haveing said that the proc on it is shit hot for a Blood dk. Either way, grim toll till you reach 263 hit.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post

vs

for DK. My hit rating is 116 atm, which is kinda low I think... But the other one has a huge AP boost + the add effect is pretty nice
    116 hit is REALLY low

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post

vs

Grim Toll since you're way below the hit cap. You should have 263 if you're doing raids. Grim toll is also a good trinket for Blood dps even if you're at the hit cap.