+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Re-installing ffxi on Xbox 360

My Xbox died today so I bought a new one, I'm using the same hard drive but I still have to re-install it. I re-installed POL without any problems at all but when it comes to re-installing FFXI, the part where there's a rotating crystal and credits play etc.. the bar stopped a little before half-way and got stuck on 'Time Remaining 34 min.' for an hour or so, so i went and restarted the installation and it's stuck on the same Time Remaining again so i was just wondering if this happened to anyone else? Do i need a new disc or do i just wait longer to see if it progresses?

thanks

Edit: cleaning the disc solved the problem lol.
    mod can delete the thread or whatever

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Same thing happend to by bro..he had the PoL Error problem so he uninstall and Installed and it froze half way so he gave up..

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

A year ago or so my friends 360 did this when it gets to the crystal and would get stuck permanently at a certain time range. He ended up calling support and they gave him a fix for it. I\'d suggest doing that.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

I was attempting to install ffxi on the hard drive and it didnt work, says its not installed yet it will attempt to launch, shit is annoying

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Besides a dirty disc, you might wanna try clearing you HDD's cache.

Naver

Quote Originally Posted by Freijah View Post
    Besides a dirty disc, you might wanna try clearing you HDD's cache.
    How is this done?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Xbox 360 Cache Clear Code Revealed - Xbox

To be honest, no idea of this still functions under the updated Xbox frontend. Also, this would clear software updates and and temporary Acheivement storage and stuff, so you'll have updates when starting up your games/connecting to Live. FFXI is possibley exempt from this since it's updates obviously don't quite work like reguler game updates.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    I was attempting to install ffxi on the hard drive and it didnt work, says its not installed yet it will attempt to launch, shit is annoying
    That happened to me, because i was trying to install FFXI using my Wings of the Goddess disc. It allowed me to go the the 'Play' screen then i got a message saying FFXI was not installed, so then realised you need to use the old FFXI disc to install FFXI and then you can use the WotG disc to install the WotG expansion after

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

From what I understand, you still need to button mash the code in the NXE dashboard to clear your system cache.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

make sure you have enough room left on your hd. I havnt gotten stuck anywhere. Reinstalling now but nearly done.

The cache clear code works for certain issues, but the disk read issue with 360 players isnt effected by it

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seamus Sunder
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm having a simliar issue. Whenever I put in the FFXI disc a window pops up saying that the game could not start and I need to download it again. I've tried clearing the cache, freeing up space on my harddrive and browsing the game marketplace but all they have for download is videos. Any suggestions?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

after you get the could not start pop up try select Playonline Viewer on your xbox menu and it should let you access it, then just reinstall POL

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seamus Sunder
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

It worked, thanks ^^.

ok so i also have a issue atm with this tho my problem is a lil dif..

perviously ffxi worked perfect up to the 22ndish of dec when my xbox actually died.

basically my xbox died and i got it back all repaired. today i pluged everything in turned it on d/l the dashboard update(my dashborad was fully uptodate with the new lookdashboard shit upto the 22nd dec) then put in ffxi and to my amazment i saw this on my screen

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...g/DSC00519.jpg

i got no POL menu no start screen nada.. just that. i checked my xbox works with ever 20 other games i have just not with ffxi, i have 3 ffxi disc's (i used to have 2 xbox's so 2 main ffxi disc's and 1 wotg disc) works the same with all 3 discs.

check SE/ffxi site and also xbox suport and both sugest the pol uninstall method for a fix.
    however this helps me not as i dont get that far the game just flat outrefuses to load.

i phoned xbox and spent 45 mins on phone explaning checking and what not with the person on the phone they now tell me this is a unknown issue and some technical dude has to ring me back within 48 hours to try resolve this issue. <.<

just wondered if anyone else has/had this also and how u got around/fix it. the douche on the phone from xbox thought that because it gave error message please dowload again that it was some xbox d/l game from arcade and spent 10 min checking my d/l history even tho i told her its not ....

Thanks Hog

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sorry Hog, but you're not going to like what I say next.
    I'll try to go in the best order I can:
    Options steps
    Step 1 : Buy a 360 memory card
    Step 2 : Save all your saved games you want to keep on the the memory card.
    Step 3: If you have money to spare, buy the HDD larger than 20GB. (More info on this soon)

Mandatory steps:
    Step 1: Format your Xbox HDD.
    Step 2: If you have the HDD over 20GB, install the DISC to the HDD. (If not, go to 4)
    Step 3: Launch the "game" from the disc to start the install
    Step 4: Follow normal procedure to install POL/FFXI.
    Step 5: Launch POL and FFXI and run updates
    Step 6: ???
    Step 7: Play game.
    Step 8: Realize that FFXI was never meant to be on the Xbox 360 and go buy a PC.
    Clarification on disc and game on HDD: If you copy the DISC (caps for readability) to the HDD and then install from that, when POL gets corrupted, it is very easy to fix. If you install direct from CD and POL gets corrupted because of dog biting the cable, power outtage, freak accident... You'll have to follow these steps almost every time.

I also use a 360 and I don't have the HDD over 20GB, but luckily I've been okay with the crashes and everything. I've had power go out and POL did not crash, however my friend logged out of FFXI, but didn't shut down POL and turned off his xbox and it crashed. He went through the whole process of reinstalling it and took it to his in-laws to entertain himself there (Understandable. Christmas with the in-laws... wee). It went corrupt when he tripped over the power cord and unplugged it. He wasn't happy.

Juggalo

Hi all! I just found this site on Google when I searched for "how to install ffxi 360" - this thread was the top search result.

Anyways, I've been having the same troubles as Roaringhedgehog. I was using the FFXI 360 disc from when it first came out on the 360 (includes RotZ, CoP, ToAU but not WotG) and kept getting the screenshot he was referring to. I even did a webchat with SE who suggested installing POL to the Hard Drive, launching from HDD, then choosing Uninstall Software, then launching from disc and proceeding as normal. This still did not work for me.

I'd read on GameFAQs that someone having these same problems got the newest 360 version and had no problems. So, I went to GameStop and spent the $20 to get the 2008 FFXI Vana'diel Collection for the 360.

I put in this disc, went to launch it, got same error.

So I installed POL to Hard Drive, launched it from Hard Drive (and it actually launched), and chose "Uninstall Software"

After that, I went to my Hard Drive on the dashboard and saw POL was still there. So basically the uninstall had removed my previous version from when I played long ago that no longer showed up in the Hard Drive section of the dashboard. I'm sure this is involved in the technical problems being caused (with SE pointing at MS and vice versa). I can tell because my free HDD space was now significantly higher.

So, using the dashboard, I then uninstalled the 2nd POL (the one I had installed to HDD). Now I had like 12Gb free.

Next, I went back and launched the POL disc, and was able to launch it again. Here, I chose to install POL. It worked, update took about 2 minutes. Now, FFXI is installing (54m to go), after which time I will do the ughwtfnowai update to it.

So looks like the key to a successful FFXI install using NXE is:
    1) Make sure you have the 2008 Vana'diel Collection and not an earlier version
    2) Install POL to HDD, launch from HDD, Choose Uninstall software.
    3) Verify no POL exists on your HDD by checking in the Memory tab. If there is a copy there, after having done #2, remove this copy too (thru dashboard delete)
    4) Launch disc and install as normal.

Hope this helps anyone that might need it!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

NXE will not allow me to Install POL to HDD.. anyone know of any other options? This is pissing me off. I don't want to format my whole damn drive just to delete FFXI...

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Nvm I fixed it. Have to have music playing while starting up the POL Disc.