+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waking the Beasts     submit to reddit submit to twitter

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Waking the Beasts

Hey, dunno if this has been discussed but i couldnt find anything about it.

Anyway,

I was wondering, is there any decent tactic to do these fights w/o having to set up a SMN LS?

I know the rewards arent worth it, but the fight seems fun and well, the drops are pretty nice to have for looks, since no1 has em.
    I know JP LSs like spammed this shit back in the days, but now i wanna try leading and finishing this quest. So yeh, any help would be apreciated.

Greetz!

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Lol, i wish i could get a group for the Ifrits Bow or the Leviathans Couse :3

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by phrost View Post
    lol. Melee burn with a few BLMs and SMNs as backup actually works pretty well in these fights. There's a lot of different strategies for doing the Carby fight though, we TP burned the Carbies while holding them all in different spots in the room with SMNs and other tanks.

It's a pretty cool little series of fights. You should be able to find a strategy that works for you pretty easily, the only one I wouldn't recommend is manaburning with BLMs.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by phrost View Post
    My memory might be a bit off, but didn't you had to warp inside him to kill him, or I'm thinking about another boss?

On topic, it's been a while, but we beat it with ~12-14 people a while back. I forgot if we did it twice, or wiped once and tried again...anyway, the fight is pretty easy if people know what to do.

If you can secure a group of 14ppl (melee burn) for 3-4 hours, it should be enough to complete this quest and score a few weapons.

1st: Drop carby to 75%
    2nd: kill the avatar that pop
    3rd: Drop carby to 50%
    4th: Have a NIN+ Healer hold one away, while the team rape the first Avatar, rest if needed and finish the second
    5th Drop carby to 25% (if possible, use your WS at 26% and try dropping it as low as you can)
    6th: Have 2 nin (I assume most /nin can hold them easily with a healer) kite/hold the add. Rest if needed before finishing the last one

7th: At this point 5 carbuncle spawn at ~25% (or less if you were able to drop it under this). Only thing you need to do is have 5 melee team (1 or 2 melee per team) pull them in 5 differents corners, and place a healer team in between (1 healer+brd should be able to cover 2 party)

We had 3 "team" in the BC area with healers in the middle, and 2 more party in the long passage leading to the exit (with another healer team between them).

Everyone drop their carbuncle to 2-3% (takes around 2 minutes if I remember correctly, their hp is pretty low), and try finishing them at the same time. Use light carol in case people get destroyed by Astral flow if they don't die at the same time.

[edit]
    Actually, I think they were using their 2h when one of them reach 5%, but I'm not certain. It might be a good idea to verify this before going, but the strats remain the same.

[edit2]
    When multiple avatar pop, kill the one with sleep first (shiva) followed by the one that can't be slowed.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

that was quake... Shub zigguwhatever.

I think it was Doom2 where you get teleported into a dark room with a bunch of demons that kill you at the end.

Half-Life has the dark room with demons that kill you; Doom 2 has the Icon of Sin final boss that is basically built into the wall (you shoot rockets into its head to kill it.) There's an Easter egg where you clip into the wall and the boss's brain is actually the severed head of John Romero (hence the "To win the game, you must defeat me, John Romero" backwards audio when you first encounter the Icon.)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's one of the Doom games, could be end of the first set of levels in Doom1 but it's 14 years since I played it so my memory is a bit hazy....

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I have been wondering about this myself. I wanted to try to set up a group on bahamut. I figured you would need the full 18 to kill Carbuncle prime .. but can 6 SMNs handle the first 6? Or do you need the full alliance. Trying to do homework before I actually get the group together.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

In doom1 (shareware version) the last stage had several mobs and some big ugly ass demons throwing green goo at you, then ended with you warping into a pitch black room where demons would try to eat you up.
    If you used cheat codes, you could have the room lit up, and you would see the demons, you could then kill all the demons by spamming the HP up cheat code while killing them off. The catch was, even when they were dead, your HP would drop off in that room so you died sooner or later regardless. If my memory serves, if you beat the full version of doom1 you got a semi-decent text saying something that I won't list in order to avoid spoiling (and to avoid the possibility of having to admit that my memory is failing me.)

In doom2, the final boss was in this multitiered(sp?) room, you had a huge ugly ass wall on the opposide side of the room with an opening on top. You had to fire rockets inside whilst a craptonne of mobs were constantly warping in to try to kill you.
    Spoiler: show

If you used the noclip cheat, you could walk in behind the wallcreaturethingie and you'd see a head on a pole, if my memory serves it was one of the creators, you could then easily punch it to death

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    In doom1 (shareware version) the last stage had several mobs and some big ugly ass demons throwing green goo at you, then ended with you warping into a pitch black room where demons would try to eat you up.
    If you used cheat codes, you could have the room lit up, and you would see the demons, you could then kill all the demons by spamming the HP up cheat code while killing them off. The catch was, even when they were dead, your HP would drop off in that room so you died sooner or later regardless. If my memory serves, if you beat the full version of doom1 you got a semi-decent text saying something that I won't list in order to avoid spoiling (and to avoid the possibility of having to admit that my memory is failing me.)

In doom2, the final boss was in this multitiered(sp?) room, you had a huge ugly ass wall on the opposide side of the room with an opening on top. You had to fire rockets inside whilst a craptonne of mobs were constantly warping in to try to kill you.
    Spoiler: show

If you used the noclip cheat, you could walk in behind the wallcreaturethingie and you'd see a head on a pole, if my memory serves it was one of the creators, you could then easily punch it to death
    yea that was John Romero, when you first entered that area it played a reversed sound clip saying "to win the game, you must defeat me, John Romero"

I met that dude IRL here in dallas, he got me into game development :b

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Drphill View Post
    Hey, dunno if this has been discussed but i couldnt find anything about it.

Anyway,

I was wondering, is there any decent tactic to do these fights w/o having to set up a SMN LS?

I know the rewards arent worth it, but the fight seems fun and well, the drops are pretty nice to have for looks, since no1 has em.
    I know JP LSs like spammed this shit back in the days, but now i wanna try leading and finishing this quest. So yeh, any help would be apreciated.

Greetz!
    If you're on Unicorn, I'm always down for that fight. 1 less SMN you'd need!

can it be BLM burned?

so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xetzu View Post
    can it be BLM burned?
    Wouldn't shock me.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Xetzu View Post
    can it be BLM burned?
    If it works at all, I wouldn't do it. The primes have insane magic resistance, and on the whole both the primes and the elementals are better dealt with with melee attacks.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I read breasts everytime.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

pervert -.-

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Just an FYI, but during the Carbuncle BC, Astral Flow for for the elemental Avatars is either long or has no end once they use it once. We ended up wiping on one run due to having avatars too close and when we started again after weakness wore the avatar used its AF move.

Kaylia covered the actual strategy for the fight. The main thing is to make sure the avatars are pulled away from each other when there's multiple.

Edit: For the 5 Carbuncles, we would do 1 at Portal, 1 in Hallway, 3 spread out in main room.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

their astral flow is timed, they use it after a certain time or %, and if the time elapses again will use again.