+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for Psychology people, Pharmacists, and Perhaps Medical People

I was mainly concerned on one notion. I like most college students have tried adderall and drugs that do similar effects for studying. I just recently began to notice something that when I wake up from a well rested sleep (7-9 hours) that it inhibits the same effects of taking adderall to a slightly less degree; in the effects of paying attention and other things of the such like speech and writing patterns. I used to oversleep and undersleep frequently and when I overslept I felt drowsy the entire day and underslept I felt like I was just trying to make it through the day. I was wondering what is the chemical effect regarding this or is this just some placebo mental effect that I'm experiencing? Anyway serious answers are appreciated I just made the topic as such that people studying Psychology, Health, or Pharamacy would probably know the answer to this if anyone else has something constructive to contribute I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If I understand your question right (it's kinda blurred in the explanation), you're wondering if the side effects of the drug are affecting you? (Parsing from the real question.)

Answer me this first: Are you actually ADHD, or are your just taking it to study? If it's the latter, your problem sounds more like the side effects of normal people trying to take meth class drugs. (sans abuse, but I have no clue what mg and how many you're taking as well as how often.)

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by LinktheDeme View Post
    I was mainly concerned on one notion. I like most college students have tried adderall and drugs that do similar effects for studying. I just recently began to notice something that when I wake up from a well rested sleep (7-9 hours) that it inhibits the same effects of taking adderall to a slightly less degree; in the effects of paying attention and other things of the such like speech and writing patterns. I used to oversleep and undersleep frequently and when I overslept I felt drowsy the entire day and underslept I felt like I was just trying to make it through the day. I was wondering what is the chemical effect regarding this or is this just some placebo mental effect that I'm experiencing? Anyway serious answers are appreciated I just made the topic as such that people studying Psychology, Health, or Pharamacy would probably know the answer to this if anyone else has something constructive to contribute I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks
    http://www.anonymousspace.com/albums...eRickJames.jpg

Anytime you take something to keep you awake or to stay sharp, it will mess up your REM sleep.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Akucaen View Post
    Answer me this first: Are you actually ADHD, or are your just taking it to study? If it's the latter, your problem sounds more like the side effects of normal people trying to take meth class drugs. (sans abuse, but I have no clue what mg and how many you're taking as well as how often.)
    adderall is not the same thing as speed, not even close. levoamphetamine dextroamphetamine etc aren't nearly as efficient in the brain as methamphetamine.

Sorry if I was unclear.

I haven't taken Adderall in over 2 months I only stated that in order to show that I know how the effects of adderall are.

Pretty much my body is giving me the effects of adderall in the morning when I wake up for 3-5 hours more or less. I was wondering if there is a chemical in your body that produces the same effect of adderall when you wake up in the morning if you've had 7-9 hours of sleep (I.E. not undersleeping or oversleeping). Or if someone can explain why I'm experiencing these symptoms.

edit: I've taken adderall 4 times in my life to study within the past year.

Banned.

BG Level

when the fuck did chillin learn what anything is

Sounds like withdrawal.

Edit: ah saw your second post and I get it better now. Long story short, there's still much we don't know about sleep, but the effects of over/undersleeping are pretty consistent with what you're describing. In general, people with a solid ~8hr sleep routine that starts/ends at similar times each day have improved attention/memory. What is happening in the brain to produce this effect vs people who consistently under/oversleep, I don't know. I doubt it's anything similar to the biological effects of adderall.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Sorry if I was unclear.

I haven't taken Adderall in over 2 months I only stated that in order to show that I know how the effects of adderall are.

Pretty much my body is giving me the effects of adderall in the morning when I wake up for 3-5 hours more or less. I was wondering if there is a chemical in your body that produces the same effect of adderall when you wake up in the morning if you've had 7-9 hours of sleep (I.E. not undersleeping or oversleeping). Or if someone can explain why I'm experiencing these symptoms.

Sounds to me like you just drink caffeine.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I am curious as to where you guys get your adderalls?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I just spent the past 4 years not getting quality sleep. I worked graveyard shift and only got 3-4 hours of sleep, then I'd wake up for 3-4 hours, and then take an hour nap before work. In that time period I gained 20 pounds, my blood pressure rose, I'm vitamin D deficient, my testosterone levels lowered. If you dont get enough sleep, it will have the same effects as being drunk. This is why truck drivers have to log their drive times and sleep times. My wife was hit by and 18-wheeler once by a truck driver that drove 24 hours straight. She lived, and only has shoulder problems.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by 0ni0n View Post
    I am curious as to where you guys get your adderalls?
    If you just go in and say something like "I'm having difficulty focusing on my school work" and ask for some adderal, many general practitioners will prescribe it for you without much of a hassle. I know some people that do this just so they can sell it to other kids, lol.

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by chillin View Post
    adderall is not the same thing as speed, not even close. levoamphetamine dextroamphetamine etc aren't nearly as efficient in the brain as methamphetamine.
    Mm, forgive me. I use Ritalin and jokingly refer to it and all amphetamines as "normal" meth. My point was that when abused, similar symptoms and side effects occur.

Hindsight: Don't use personal slang in a science-potential thread.

Also forgot to mention that I've recently been prescribed amoxicillin for a coldish thing ( I think it was called post nasal drip? Something with sinuses). Anyway I've taken amoxocillin alot in my life (it's really the only thing my body can take to fight infections as i'm allergic to pretty much all the zynthromycin and mycin family as well as avalox and levaquin.) and i've never had these symptoms. Just didn't want to rule anything out though so I decided to state it as maybe it can effect.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

So you're saying that ...when you get a normal 7-9 hours of regular sleep, something you do only infrequently, that it's easier to focus, pay attention, remain in a elevated state of alertness, etc - which are things you previously experienced when taking Adderall?

It sounds like...the symptoms of getting a good night's rest. Getting a good night's rest is good for all those things you mentioned. Congrats.

It also sounds like you are kind of guilt-ridden and paranoid because of your illegal use of prescription drugs, but that's a whole other issue.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Sorry if I was unclear.

Seriously? You're asking why it is that when you get a good nights sleep and feel well rested your brain functions better?

I was wondering what is the chemical effect regarding this or is this just some placebo mental effect that I'm experiencing?

Thanks
    There is nothing "placebo" about it. Your body(all of it) functions better when it gets the rest it requires. I'm not sure why you're concerned about this.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azure Primrose
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

^^^ What they said. Having only used the drug 4 times in your life (and I'm assuming here you didn't take excessive doses of it) I highly doubt any neuron producers/receptors in your brain were damaged beyond repair like what could be the case with some drugs. Without the drug in your system and no long-term brain damage being done the only possibility is that you are just getting the correct amount of rest that your body needs. I'm not some fancy scientist or anything like that so don't quote me on any of what I said....that's just my two cents on the issue.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

With the antibiotic - they are frequently overprescribed when people get a sniffle, etc. Obviously a doc can tell by examining you and running any necessary tests/cultures if you have a bacterial infection. Antibiotics don't work on a virus, most of the time when people have post-nasal drip, it's a upper respiratory infection/simple rhinovirus. The treatment for that? Get rest, drink plenty of fluids and let the virus run its course. The problem with overprescribing antibiotics is they lose their effectiveness when they're actually needed.

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    So you're saying that ...when you get a normal 7-9 hours of regular sleep, something you do only infrequently, that it's easier to focus, pay attention, remain in a elevated state of alertness, etc - which are things you previously experienced when taking Adderall?

It sounds like...the symptoms of getting a good night's rest. Getting a good night's rest is good for all those things you mentioned. Congrats.

It also sounds like you are kind of guilt-ridden and paranoid because of your illegal use of prescription drugs, but that's a whole other issue.
    I'm saying recently within the past 3-5 days that i've recorded its happening. The other symptoms of adderall are there as well such as loss of appetite, light headedness and etc. So it's really not only oh your well rested and you function better? You seriously asking that sort of deal. I have everything that normally comes with adderall like I said the side effects and all.

edit: to the above SOME sinus infections start out as viral supposedly and turn bacterial its really hard to determine whether or not its which in the beginning phases so some doctors prescribe antibiotics just to be safe. Antibiotics do indeed speed up the healing on sinus infections whether or not there needed is a whole different story because people feel that there not helping enough which is persona opinions. Antibiotics in general should help your immune system from my understanding and will increase its effectiveness against viruses just most people theorize that it wont help enough to bother prescribing. Anyway I had a quick recovery after taking the antibiotic so it is helping in my situation just wanted to educate people on this notion

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

It's a psychosomatic fixation for you now. Stop thinking about it and these imaginary "side effects" will go away.

Even if you are actually experiencing something, it has nothing to do with Adderall or your body mimicking adderall effects.

Oh, and sleep is good.

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    It's a psychosomatic fixation for you now. Stop thinking about it and these imaginary "side effects" will go away.

Even if you are actually experiencing something, it has nothing to do with Adderall or your body mimicking adderall effects.

Oh, and sleep is good.
    If it's a fixation now which your most likely right as I have no expertise. How did these effects occur to begin with though? Originally I wasn't thinking about it at all and only after I had the feeling I thought about it like that and probably now it's a fixation I'm just curious how it started.