BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Random Question Thread.

I figured since theres a random thread in FFXI and gaming, why not one here too?

Surprised there isnt one, since a lot of us have asked small questions time to time; like a math or programming question, or maybe asking for some sort of advice on what kind of toothpaste to get, or something.

This thread can be used if you have a question that really doesnt deserve it's own topic, and you dont want to post it in spam.

So how about this for starters.
    I never understood the concept of pulling the hammer on a gun back before shooting it in movies and TV. This is usually done in a 'threatening' scene. Ive never shot a handgun before, just shotguns, but im fairly sure when you pull the trigger on a handgun, the hammer pulls itself back >.> I think ive seen this many times and it's developed into a pet peeve of mine.

Is there any technical reason for pulling the hammer back first, or is it simply just for 'show'?

No answer to your question.

Question:

Do you have to have a "normal" drivers license before you can get your motorcycle drivers license? And if so, do you have to have your own motorcycle for the test?

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

You pull the hammer to cock the gun, this allows you to pull the trigger faster. You can just squeeze the trigger but you have to squeeze way harder.

if you're riding a beam of light away from another beam of light, are you going twice the speed of light relative to the other beam of light?

Spoiler: show
    no

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post

I never understood the concept of pulling the hammer on a gun back before shooting it in movies and TV. This is usually done in a 'threatening' scene. Ive never shot a handgun before, just shotguns, but im fairly sure when you pull the trigger on a handgun, the hammer pulls itself back >.> I think ive seen this many times and it's developed into a pet peeve of mine.

Is there any technical reason for pulling the hammer back first, or is it simply just for 'show'?
    If you have a semi-automatic the trigger pull when it is not cocked might be 15 lbs of force however if you pull back the hammer the trigger pull might be only 1/4lbs of force. So it allows you to shoot it faster initially. (I made up the trigger pull lbs to illustrate what I mean).

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

About the gun thing, it helps aiming as well. The trigger's mechanism pulls the hammer back and has a lot of tension behind it, pulling the hammer back prematurely makes it so when you pull the trigger, you're not using a lot of muscle and strength to do so, keeping your hand more still. Also adds drama.

It's similar to pulling an arrow back on a bow. You wouldn't aim before you did so because the movement, tension and work put into creating that potential energy can throw you off your mark slightly.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

My understand was it allows for (very) slightly faster shooting, and was mainly used to show the seriousness of the intent. "Don't fuck around, I really will shoot you." Something like that.

Depends on the gun. If it is a single-action gun then you have to manually pull the hammer back. Most newer guns are double-action, which means there is no need to manually cock it , you can just pull the trigger and it will cock and fire at the same time.

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Older handguns from the 19th Century were not self-cocking (ie. single-action). Pulling the trigger only released the holding spring on the hammer which then would detonate the cartridge with the firing pin. However, most modern handguns are double-action, not requiring the hammer to be cocked back but doing so does reduce trigger weight. The Colt 1911 was one of the first very popular examples of a double-action pistol to see widespread use.

But really, this is just the Dramatic Gun Cock trope and nothing more. Also seen frequently with pump-activated single-action shotguns.

I can already tell this thread isn't gonna work out too well. @_@

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Also make sure when you do pull back the hammer, you pop your neck, roll your head, and when you shoot say, "It’s just been revoked!"

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    No answer to your question.

Question:

Do you have to have a "normal" drivers license before you can get your motorcycle drivers license? And if so, do you have to have your own motorcycle for the test?
    Varies by state!

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Where did the tradition to make music albums come on on Tuesdays come from?

What about how new seasons of every show comes out in the fall? Why September of all months? Is there a reason or is it just tradition?

Is being able to sight-play music important for piano? I can play a song after I work on it a few times but I can't sight read at all whatsoever. My teacher makes it look easy. He plays anything he sees for the first time like it's nothing and I want to learn to do that x_x

Does the same guy do all movie previews or is there a huge list of people with really deep voices to call when you want to make a trailer for your movie?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Does the same guy do all movie previews or is there a huge list of people with really deep voices to call when you want to make a trailer for your movie?
    It used to be mostly that one guy but he died recently.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

What about how new seasons of every show comes out in the fall? Why September of all months? Is there a reason or is it just tradition?
    From my understanding, they start it in September because that's when school starts for a lot of people in the US and Canada. Because of that, they're more likely to be home in the evening to watch TV, because early in the day they go to school. Also, its when summer ends, so people are back from summer vacations and camping trips and etc like that. September is kind of like a winding down period, I guess, and they use that.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Why did they decide to start showing comercials before movies? What ever happened to the terrible trivia and movie facts? Those things were awesome. ._.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

This is just what you need. YouTube - 5 Guys in a Limo (better audio)

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

How do I get rid of these charity telemarketers? I donated 20 dollars to breast cancer(save the boobs), and now every fucking charity in the world is spamming my phone.

How many celebrities and other awesome people has 2008 actually killed?

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Why did they decide to start showing commercials before movies? What ever happened to the terrible trivia and movie facts? Those things were awesome. ._.
    Movie theatres are losing money due to the rise of affordable high-quality home entertainment technology and the higher visual and sound standards available on DVD and Blu-Ray. With fewer people coming into theatres, concessions make less money, tickets don't cover as much margin as they used to (with the need to keep prices down to stay competitive with home viewing) they had to find a new revenue stream. The commercials pay to the theatres and are a way of supplementing their sagging revenues.

Which of course may drive even more people away from the theatres in to enjoy films in their own homes. There's been a big shift in generations and technology in the last 15-20 years regarding the watching of movies. Younger people are now used to watching movies at home, talking through them with their friends and generally engaging in behaviour that would be unacceptable in public theatres. I think it's fair to say that people (in broad strokes, individuals will always create exceptions) are becoming less respectful to others and those few disrepectul cocks with their cellphones on, talking loudly during the film, and bringing their crying children to busy evening shows ruin it for a lot of people. The mentality now is "why go out and get annoyed by people when I can just stay home?"

Theatres made such a massive impact on the lives of people around the world in the 20th Century, and this recession from them in the West is an interesting bellwether of how we understand our society. We are becoming more insular and distanced from our communities and fellow man as technology that was once so expensive and difficult to get is now in the reach of the majority of the population in the West.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 117 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast