+ Reply to Thread

Dragon Quest X goes to the Wii

Title says it all. S-E announced at their Dragon Quest event that the Wii would get the tenth installment.

Also DQ9 is being released on March 28th for 5980 yen.

Source: GIGAZINE, NeoGAF, Kotaku

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh, how sweet it is.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

DQ9 comes out 2 days before my birthday. Barring any delays at least.

I'm kind of tired with this "announce another sequel before the one before it comes out" shit. I remember they did the same thing with FFXIII, when FFXII wasn't out anywhere but Japan.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeota Fourier
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Reminds me of the time FFXI was announced alongside 9 and 10 at the start of 2000.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I'm trying to think of another console-exclusive 3rd-party AAA piece of non-shovelware for the Wii.

Nope, not coming up with any. So it'll only take 3 years for the Wii to get one? I might actually buy it now!

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    I'm trying to think of another console-exclusive 3rd-party AAA piece of non-shovelware for the Wii.

Nope, not coming up with any. So it'll only take 3 years for the Wii to get one? I might actually buy it now!
    It's amazing how easy it is to not think of anything when you're not paying attention, isn't it

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Fuck.

Edit: If it's more like DQVIII and less like previous installments it's not as much of a loss.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

wtf? isn't it bad enough that DQ9 is on the DS?

DQ needs a next-gen title (as in, 360/ps3)..

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin View Post
    It's amazing how easy it is to not think of anything when you're not paying attention, isn't it
    Even easier when both Nintendo and 3rd parties spend zero dollars marketing their Wii games and leave it to internet blogs to say 'oh yeah by the way this game is getting a Wii port look at how bad it is.' Wii ads on TV STILL show footage of Wii Sports and only Wii Sports.

The last non-Nintendo game for the Wii I saw any form of advertising for was No More Heroes. Yeah, that sold well...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Even easier when both Nintendo and 3rd parties spend zero dollars marketing their Wii games and leave it to internet blogs to say 'oh yeah by the way this game is getting a Wii port look at how bad it is.' Wii ads on TV STILL show footage of Wii Sports and only Wii Sports.

The last non-Nintendo game for the Wii I saw any form of advertising for was No More Heroes. Yeah, that sold well...
    Games that aren't heavily marketed don't exist and are all shovelware. Yeah both of those.

ok sure

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Did I say that?

"I can't think of any." is not the same as "I googled and found nothing."

I suppose if I actually google I'll find a mountain of 3rd-party AAA Wii-exclusive titles, right?

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Uh, theres no Wii commercials? Sorry theres tons of WiiFit commercials, there was lots of MarioKart commercials/Comcast tie ins when that first came out, Shaun White Snowboarding has wii specific commercials, the new Raving Rabids has Wii commercials highlighting how you can play with your butt, the new Animal Crossing has a fairly developed ad campaign on tv, pretty sure I remember a fair share of SSBB commercials as well, and there were commercials for Mario/Sonic Olympics and all the other WiiSports ripoff sports games.

WiiSports has disproportionately more advertising appearances because its still their most popular game and the most easily recognizable as being a Wii game hence why w/e you see still see people using it in tv shows/movies with Wii appearances. Its the same way that Sony is whoring out LBP, in all their new PS3 Home/Bluray commercials, its the most iconic unique property they have.

Banned.

BG Level

Game is going to sell so fucking much its almost disgusting. Both 9 and 10.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

DAY ONE! (for both) Almost missed this because of finals week.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso View Post

No.

You can say that with a lot of game series (FF, Halo, whatever), but DQ has never been about teh HD graficals, and that's all I can see it getting by putting it on PS3 or X360 over Wii (besides quite possibly cannibalizing the sales). I'm just glad they FINALLY gave Wii a non-spinoff game (or in MLAAK, a spinoff of a spinoff) that I know I can have faith in. The DQ series always goes to the highest install base anyway, so this one was basically a given, but I didn't expect it announced before DQ9 was out.

Actually, NMH did sell well. Suda's best selling game ever, by far. He threw a party over it and everything. I'm not going to pretend that Wii's third party situation is ideal or anything, and I wish both Nintendo and other companies would try to market their games better, but I mean, really. You are on the internet right now. I'm sure if you were REALLY starved for a game you could look for (and find) one in all of five minutes (or at least ask). And YES, they are there. And YES, more are coming (at least from the East, Western devs still won't even develop for DS it seems like. >.> ) You can complain about the rather bleak holiday, and rightly so, but the rest of the year was excellent thankfully, and 2009 is nothing but awesome so far (and mostly from 3rd parties, no less!)

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso View Post

Because the one thing a series needs that still uses gameplay from the 1980s is graphics from 2008.

Banned.

BG Level

Hey, let it never said the game doesn't put a lot of attention on T&A.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Because the one thing a series needs that still uses gameplay from the 1980s is graphics from 2008.
    It wouldn't be the first.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If DQ fully moved into the 21st century, it wouldn't be DQ anymore. DQVIII was as far as they could take it without alienating long-time fans. For everyone else, there's always "Final Fantasy XIII." Put me in the DQ boat, though.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    People like that think that every game should be on the 360 and if it's on the Wii it's a huge sacrifice. The Wii's mere existence makes all games worse.