Closed Thread
Page 54 of 167 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Stormreaver

I put my 17 year old dog down a month ago. It sucked.

Karma Whore
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
    Dont tease me with maine coons I wouldve loved if my kitty wouldve been a coon. He was just a tabby!

and for all of you potential corgi owners.. consider this as a warning. We have one corgi and vacuum once a week. This was this weeks haul

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...85/photo-6.jpg
    We're getting a corgi within the next month or so. Very excited about it, the fur situation not so much.

Don't have a picture of my cat on this PC, but here's a video my GF shot of her being awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skVmxOxj_1I

Quote Originally Posted by Galaika View Post
    Quick question for those who have said/shown dogs with taped/docked up ears. Why do you need your dogs ears to stand up if they don't do that naturally? I know docking is illegal here in the UK and classed as mutilation.
    The whole "natural" argument pretty much gets thrown out the window when it comes to dogs. People have bred them into so many odd breeds that they have problems breathing, reproducing without assistance, and loads of other things.

I can't really speak for other cropped breeds, but Dobermans were created for personal protection. They are pretty stoic when it comes to responding to pain, but their ears are highly sensitive once they mature. Since they were originally used for working purposes, their ears were cropped to a.) prevent potential attackers from grabbing or pulling on them and to b.) allow the dogs to better pinpoint the direction from which sounds originate. Show dogs are bred to represent the breed standard, and though many Dobes aren't used for their original purpose these days, they still crop them since that was how they were presented back in the day. The tails were broken quite easily when in working situations as well, so that's why they were docked.

I have no preference as far as aesthetics are concerned, but it's next to impossible to find a Dobe from a quality breeder in the States that doesn't have the puppy cropped and docked prior to sending it home with the new owner. My dog actually works as well, so I have no issues with it.

Sorry to hear about your dog panda Even thinking about losing my puppy or my old lab from a while ago makes me extremely sad

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    breeder
    There's your problem, assuming it's not going to be an actual work-dog. Thousands of cheap awesome mutts at the pound that will probably live healthier/longer than inbreds.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Galaika View Post
    Quick question for those who have said/shown dogs with taped/docked up ears. Why do you need your dogs ears to stand up if they don't do that naturally? I know docking is illegal here in the UK and classed as mutilation.
    Not sure if you're referring to the corgi or not, but their ears are supposed to stand up naturally. Sometimes (especially in cardigans) the cartilage in the ears needs a little help lifting up which is why they're taped. We only taped our puppy's ears for a day and they stood up on their own after that. Our pem's ears were already up when we got him at 10 weeks.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4.../photo_1-1.jpg
    http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4.../photo_2-1.jpg

Contrary to popular beliefe they are both still alive and breathing

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

god I love upside down doggies

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...e/DSC09991.jpg

They are so mysterious.

The whole "natural" argument pretty much gets thrown out the window when it comes to dogs. People have bred them into so many odd breeds that they have problems breathing, reproducing without assistance, and loads of other things.

I can't really speak for other cropped breeds, but Dobermans were created for personal protection. They are pretty stoic when it comes to responding to pain, but their ears are highly sensitive once they mature. Since they were originally used for working purposes, their ears were cropped to a.) prevent potential attackers from grabbing or pulling on them and to b.) allow the dogs to better pinpoint the direction from which sounds originate. Show dogs are bred to represent the breed standard, and though many Dobes aren't used for their original purpose these days, they still crop them since that was how they were presented back in the day. The tails were broken quite easily when in working situations as well, so that's why they were docked.

I have no preference as far as aesthetics are concerned, but it's next to impossible to find a Dobe from a quality breeder in the States that doesn't have the puppy cropped and docked prior to sending it home with the new owner. My dog actually works as well, so I have no issues with it.

What a badass.

I'd gotten the same impression about cropping their ears after looking it up once I saw the pictures of your dog's antlers lol Up until recently I never knew there was practicality in it. Before then I was under the impression it was considered to be cruel and/or ignorant of the owners to do so as something traditional that was just carried on for no particular reason, but you seemed way too involved and close to your dogs for that to be the case and so that gave incentive to actually look it up.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Taping their ears up doesn't hurt them, tail docking seems.. eh.. though..

Anyone else's dog sneeze reflexively when they're upside down or is mine just retarded?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Dantrag View Post

This reminds me of "Toothless" the dragon from "How to train your dragon"

too lazy to put up a comparison picture

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fievel View Post
    What kind of dog is this? Looks alittle similar to my dog.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2qk547c.jpg

Her name is Daisy Mae (Chihuahua/Poodle mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Caiyuo View Post

What a badass.

I'd gotten the same impression about cropping their ears after looking it up once I saw the pictures of your dog's antlers lol Up until recently I never knew there was practicality in it. Before then I was under the impression it was considered to be cruel and/or ignorant of the owners to do so as something traditional that was just carried on for no particular reason, but you seemed way too involved and close to your dogs for that to be the case and so that gave incentive to actually look it up.
    Yeah, I'm a HUGE dog lover, and I would end up purchasing a dobe from Europe if I thought the cropping/docking process caused them a lot of grief. Tail docking is done when they are 2-3 days old at the same time that the dewclaws are removed with topical anesthesia only. I've seen the procedure done a million times, and surprisingly enough, their nerves are so undeveloped at that age that 95% of them don't make a peep when it's done. I thought it was going to break my heart the first time I had to assist the vet I worked for when he was docking some puppies, but it wasn't bad at all.

Their ears are done between 7-12 weeks old, and the dogs ARE put under general anesthesia. My vet uses a laser so the incision is completely healed in under 5 days. They're also given a week of pain meds in addition to these topical patches that last for 48 hours. The only difference in the puppies' general attitudes after cropping is that they're groggy. The next day they're frolicking about like nothing ever happened. There are different methods used to tape them up until they stand, but none of them seem painful. My dog a little foam road that is waaaaaaaay softer than those noodle things people use in pools that provides support for her ears. She shook her head a few times the first time I did it, but now she falls asleep in my lap when I redo them ever 4-5 days. She gets all wiggly and wiggles her tail like a damned egg beater when I pull out the bag of taping goodies. I guess the ear massages are quite nice!

All and all, it doesn't seem to cause them any noticeable discomfort. If it did, I'd be against it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    Taping their ears up doesn't hurt them, tail docking seems.. eh.. though..

Anyone else's dog sneeze reflexively when they're upside down or is mine just retarded?
    See above.

Ever dog I've ever had sneezed like crazy when upside down. It has to be some reflex, but I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is.

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainN View Post
    What kind of dog is this? Looks alittle similar to my dog.

Her name is Daisy Mae (Chihuahua/Poodle mix)
    Haha my dogs name is Daisy Mae aswell :]

She's a Maltese and shi tzu mix

You need a better camera. S/he does a good job though, always looks at the camera.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Eh it's my phone ;/ only thing I got lol.

Oh!

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Ever dog I've ever had sneezed like crazy when upside down. It has to be some reflex, but I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is.
    My old dog that passed away recently didn't really sneeze when upside down but our two dogs we have right now definitely sneeze when they are lying on their backs.

Closed Thread
Page 54 of 167 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 ... LastLast