Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Alright, fuck you Nyx. Been wanting to get a German Shepard for a long long time, but now I may be looking into Dobermans.

I've had small dogs for a long time now, 12yrs? Poodle and my Bijon/poo/papillion whatever mix he is. I need a dog that is bigger, jumps in the pool and lakes, and can chase and catch a frisbee. Fuck these lap dogs lol. My brother has a dane, but that's wayyy too big, and ridiculously clumsy. Think hes like 6'3" at least if he stands up and puts his front legs on your shoulders.

We do love our small dogs since they don't shed, which is HUGEEEEEEE in my house, since me and my dad are both paramedics and fireman and hair on dark uniforms = no. However, we do have several cats, so the hair issue really doesn't matter too much I guess. Need bigger dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Alright, fuck you Nyx. Been wanting to get a German Shepard for a long long time, but now I may be looking into Dobermans.

I've had small dogs for a long time now, 12yrs? Poodle and my Bijon/poo/papillion whatever mix he is. I need a dog that is bigger, jumps in the pool and lakes, and can chase and catch a frisbee. Fuck these lap dogs lol. My brother has a dane, but that's wayyy too big, and ridiculously clumsy. Think hes like 6'3" at least if he stands up and puts his front legs on your shoulders.

We do love our small dogs since they don't shed, which is HUGEEEEEEE in my house, since me and my dad are both paramedics and fireman and hair on dark uniforms = no. However, we do have several cats, so the hair issue really doesn't matter too much I guess. Need bigger dog!
    Haha. Dobes can be a handful, but they're awesome dogs. Some seem to shed quite a bit and others not at all, but the hair is so small and dark colored that it's not very noticeable either way. If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me. I can seriously point you to an excellent breeder anywhere in the country, and when it comes to Dobermans, I can answer almost any question you may have.

Jumps into lakes, you say?
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...s/DSC_2785.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...s/DSC_2417.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...s/DSC_2425.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...9/DSC_4524.jpg

I had to get an active breed because I'm always out doing stuff. He's such a good dog to take camping, hiking, swimming, jogging, and whatever else I want to do. He will play fetch until I make him stop lol. Just yesterday it was "cooler" here (around 95), so I took him to the park. I had to force him to stop playing with the soccer ball and rest in the pool for a minute or two.
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...9/DSC_5031.jpg

One obligatory picture of the puppy and her antlers:
    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4.../DSC_5079b.jpg

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

He ain't got nothin on the corgi jump! haha

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

This is prolly the first repost in the pets thread! I posted the corgi flop on page 52!

not like it gets old tho!

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Nyx everyone is pointing me to Lab's because I have other animals, as well as 2 young nieces that come around some. No strangers ever enter my house though, which is good.

About jogging: Do you have any problems going for a run with a doberman? As far as other runners and dogs go?

Like I said, needs to be able to play with frisbee's etc. In my area Dobermans don't seem like the type of dog you can take off a leash, whereas Labs you can.

Too...cute...can't...look for long...

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by jinkazama View Post
    This is prolly the first repost in the pets thread! I posted the corgi flop on page 52!

not like it gets old tho!
    Oh well it seemed relevant!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC01176.jpg

serious corgi is serious
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC01177.jpg

nom nom stick
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC01158.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC01203.jpg

His ears are like...as big as his head.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...e/DSC01160.jpg

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

I love cardis. My wife is a pembroke only typenof gal. I swear shell have one by her side until the day she dies. I'm going to get a cardi just to spite her.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My boyfriend wanted to get another pem when we decided to get a puppy but I pretty much insisted on the cardi lol. They are so different from each other in personality it's crazy, but they get along really well so far. My pem is super smart, really eager to please, very people oriented. The cardi on the other hand, is more like...derrr...food?!? He's a sweetheart though lol.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Corgis are the only awesome smaller breeds. This is a well-known fact. Some terriers are also acceptable.

Nyx everyone is pointing me to Lab's because I have other animals, as well as 2 young nieces that come around some. No strangers ever enter my house though, which is good.

About jogging: Do you have any problems going for a run with a doberman? As far as other runners and dogs go?

Like I said, needs to be able to play with frisbee's etc. In my area Dobermans don't seem like the type of dog you can take off a leash, whereas Labs you can.
    So, so many people have the wrong idea about the breed. I can't tell you how many times people have informed me that eventually my dogs' brains will outgrow the size of their skulls, and they will turn on me. I'm not even sure how that myth originated or why so many people seem to be convinced that it is true.

Some things are pretty standard across the board if you get a well bred Doberman. It will be ridiculously intelligent and easy to train (though some can be stubborn on occasion). Most are very eager to please their owners. Most are protective of their homes and families. Most will require quite a bit of exercise to not go stir crazy in the house and turn into an absolute terror.

Some Dobermans are so soft temperament-wise that they wouldn't hurt a fly. In most cases, Dobes are aloof around strangers that first enter their homes until 5 minutes or so have passed, and they are certain the stranger means no harm. After that, they turn into the "Velcro dog" that is one of the things for which they are known. They will try to climb in your lap, lean on you, shove their noses in your face, insist that you pet them, and basically more into giant, cuddly mushpots. They are the kinds of dogs that will follow you from room to room, check on you repeatedly while you're in the shower, and possibly whine at the door if you shut them outside of whatever room you're in.

As far as children go, as long as they are raised around them as puppies, they are excellent with kids. My male is a bit afraid of children under the age 10ish because some random brat hit him in the face with a huge stick when he was little. Even so, once he has had time to become acclimated to the kid, he's fine. He was at my 2yr old niece's birthday party in June, and he constantly had screaming children (ages 1-7) running up to him, chasing him, trying to ride him, pulling from his ears, hanging from his neck, and all sorts of things. He kind of cowered when they approached him while screaming, but otherwise he just put up with the abuse. My puppy is only 4 mo, and she went to a different niece's party this past Sunday. She adores children already. She licked all if their faces once or twice, played tug with some tissue paper, and slept through the rest of the commotion.

As far as jogging & hiking go, I couldn't ask for a better dog. His endurance is through the roof, he loves other dogs (so much so that he starts whining when I don't let him say hello to passing dogs on the sidewalk or at places like petsmart), and the only reason I have a leash for him is because it's the law. He absolutely will not set foot outside of my front yard without permission regardless of what may be around. He will not go more than 15-20 feet ahead of me on hiking trails. He was unleashed from 2pm-4am on New Years Eve at my friend's house down in Houston. The guy's house sits on a 1acre plot of land and is surrounded by woodlands. There were a few deer in the front yard that he chased until he came to the edge of the lawn where he promptly stopped. Roughly 100 people came and left that afternoon/night, and he was fine with all of them. I didn't once worry that he might run off after a deer, get aggressive toward a person (unless they were attacking me), run off to hide because of the loud fireworks, or cause any other problems.

The dogs are obviously genetically predisposed to be protective of their homes and family, but protective and aggressive aren't the same things. Mine are both very friendly to strangers (humans and dogs) in public places, but both are quite suspicious at first when new people enter my home. It's all about how well they are socialized and trained when young. If you put in the time then, you'll benefit for the rest of the dogs' life. If you don't, you'll have a terror on your hands that could very well live up to all of the negative breed stereotypes out there.

My male is actually a certified therapy dog that goes with me to local nursing homes on occasion. Everyone that I've encountered that hated and/or was afraid of Dobermans initially adores mine. Just like pit bulls, GSDs, Rotties, or any other dominant dog breed, it's all about their upbringing.

/walloftext

Sorry, no cliffs.

Also, I typed that monstrosity of a post on my phone, so I apologize for any errors. The dumb iPhone mightve changed words like morph into more without me catching it.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

The cliff notes of that I think (Nyx can correct me if I am off base) is that with any dog breed while they may have tendencies training and upbringing are very important and have a much bigger effect on the behavior of your dog.

You can get a doberman and if you train it properly it should grow up to be a perfectly sociable friendly dog. We have a pitbull sharpei mix that is the friendliest dog in the world and she is great with kids. My nieces and nephews used to poke and prod her and play with her when they were little and she just loves attention no matter what.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Antonidas

Get lieutenant... then the hair doesn't show up as much on your white shirt.

picture of fatass >B|
    http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9411/thafurr.jpg
    size13 chucks and braves fitted for scale

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Lucienne View Post
    what.. why? fucking predator mode

I was more or less thinking.... How?

Does you cat have a 7.5' Vertical?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

yea i actually meant to right how also but i was still in shock and awe about how thats even comfortable.

He jumps up by himself, but usually wants us to take him down.
    He's a bit too smart for his own good, can open doors in both directions and if we forget to lock he'll go visit the neighbours, he can open drawers, the fridge, the freezer, all closets. He likes plastic bags and underwear and takes out his favorite pieces preferably at very inappropriate occassions. =/

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 167 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast