BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

RDM|WHM Melee "Tweaks" to come...

So a few people submitted a question at the festival, IGN included, for WHM to get an ability or a spell to recover MP without the help of another job. Instead of giving us a simple "We don't want to", they tell us in an IGN interview that WHM has a "unique" way of regaining mp with the mythic ws Mystic Boon. I want to know who IGN talked to, because they're retarded. Mystic Boon on club is new, but Spirit Taker on staff has been around a while. Oh, Energy Steal anyone?

They said in the same interview that they'll be looking to tweak WHM and RDM for front line combat, probably sometime around March. Now RDM has a lot more readily accessible(AH) gear than WHM, RDM's problem lies in it's B skill, and the massive amounts of gear carried by a RDM to perform all of it's functions as best it can. WHM however, and some of this applies to RDM too, is the total lack of anything DD. Reverend Mail, Acc+10, doesn't make up for skill-20 from a normal DD job. Bellicose Mantle, Attack+6, ...you're kidding me, right? Seawolf/Sea Robber, nice damage, comparable to most hammer type clubs, but have you ever tried camping these pirates?

If you had a WHM at say, Tiamat, who's only way to refresh himself was to melee, would you let them feed tp to him? These "tweaks" aren't going to be enough, sadly, it would take a full overhaul of everything WHM for it to melee without the stigma everyone has put on it. As it is right now, WHM in the best melee gear is roughly equal to a newly 75 THF, but with 90% less criticals, no Sneak/Trick Attack, no Evisceration, considerably less evasion, and Blink instead of Utsusemi.

I'm sorry, Square, but just getting all that melee gear turns my love for melee WHM sour. It's too little, too late, I'm done with WHM, unless this March update, which probably won't happen til March '09, make WHM compete with any DD.

And you and I both know it won't.

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

inb4 inb4s

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    John Blaze
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Go go Shikikoyo...

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Seawolf/Sea Robber, nice damage, comparable to most hammer type clubs, but have you ever tried camping these pirates?
    Have you ever tried swinging more than once every decade with these two equipped at the same time?

If they want WHM's to be self sufficient with MP, they need to fucking dump the entire melee thing and give them an ability or trait to do it.

I'm sure their shit WHM melee buff will be some terrible thing that does not increase melee attack power or anything of the sort, it'll be something so niche that you could use it in one or two situations.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

It'll probably be worse than something extremely niched, it'll be like 2 defense from an extra Protectra V merit, a total insult. Even Mjollnir/Kraken with Mystic Boon, the Kraken would be hitting for 0 and 1, giving you nothing. And Mystic on Mjollnir would likely still suck like it did at the festival.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
    It'll probably be worse than something extremely niched, it'll be like 2 defense from an extra Protectra V merit, a total insult. Even Mjollnir/Kraken with Mystic Boon, the Kraken would be hitting for 0 and 1, giving you nothing. And Mystic on Mjollnir would likely still suck like it did at the festival.
    Well, in merit parties I can go from 0 MP to 900+ in 30 seconds with Mjollnir/Kraken. I don't think the majority of WHM on the planet have a spare Mjollnir and Kraken lying around though Q_Q.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
    I guess I'm the last WHM that totally doesnt care about DD'ing. If i wanted to be a DD I wouldn't level a support job.
    Beside Protectra V being shit, <3 Shellra V, <3 Devotion and <3 Repose. I prefer SE spend their time with other stuff and not making RDM or WHM better DD's.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I guess I'm the last WHM that totally doesnt care about DD'ing. If i wanted to be a DD I wouldn't level a support job.
    Beside Protectra V being shit, <3 Shellra V, <3 Devotion and <3 Repose. I prefer SE spend their time with other stuff and not making RDM or WHM better DD's.
    I'd actually rather they spend their time doing this too. WHM is not supposed to do some mystical awesome damage. I'd rather they focus on content that I don't hate lol.

I just had this CRAAAAAAAAAZY idea. What if they give WHM a JA that converts all damage done to MP for a certain amount of time? That wouldn't be a terrible thing. It wouldn't help on HNM at all. Shit I can't hit for more than 50 damage on any HNM, but it might be useful in meriting situations. I can't think of anything "unique" they could do besides that.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I was imagining something similar to Chivalry, but available at a lower level with a much lower recast time.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I don't mind not being a DD, I know I levelled a support job, and the only reasons my club is levelled is for farming and fun. But Square telling me that I have to melee if I want to recover mp by myself is a load of crap. Give me a club with half decent damage like a Joyeuse or a Ridill, instead of Kraken's "Occasionally doesn't whiff/Occasionally hits the mob for more than 3 damage." and I'd be happy.

Maybe I'm just ticked that all the best melee gear for WHM is so hard to get. Collecting people for Shen might as well be waiting for Byakko's Haidate with the lowest bid.

I mean, if it's under 30 and I'm farming it, I change to my 40 WAR, because I easily outparse my WHM.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

im betting a "drain samba" type of ability for whms to drain MP from mobs w/mp

since they mentioned that they are "inviting whm to melee in some situation" and not "all whm should melee in every pt", i am guessing it is only in some or a few situation where a whm is encourage to melee and not "harm" the pt

but hey, since now SE have given the word, i am sure 95/100 retard whms will go all out melee and says "SE says we can" w/o knowing shit is situational

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Well, in merit parties I can go from 0 MP to 900+ in 30 seconds with Mjollnir/Kraken. I don't think the majority of WHM on the planet have a spare Mjollnir and Kraken lying around though Q_Q.

Hah so I'm not crazy >_>!

Everyone I tried to argue that this is a sick combo (or WHM/DNC using kraken and aspir samba) on Colibri told me I was nuts.

HAH! FACE! ^ _ ^

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Maybe next we'll have BLMs meleeing in exp. Or I know, while we're at it, let's give DRK all AM spells. Oh and BLU can learn other player's job abilities in Ballista/Brenner. Wouldn't that be great? A 150mp Invincible that you can cast every 3 minutes.

And I like that converts all damage to mp for x duration thing. Instead of constantly feeding tp to a mob, just melee for a minute or so to get mp back a bit faster than you would by resting, then resume normal duties.

God help us if all WHMs start meleeing, it takes a lot of practice, usually practice on PLD, to be able to melee and still take care of healing.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Okay thank god you corrected yourself into saying that SE is stupid for wanting you to melee as a WHM, and not that you actually want to melee as a WHM...

Because then I would have to go off on a rant that WHM has ALWAYS been a back end job, has NEVER been good at meleeing, and only POSSIBLY might be of use as some sort of ranged attacker...

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    Hah so I'm not crazy >_>!

Everyone I tried to argue that this is a sick combo (or WHM/DNC using kraken and aspir samba) on Colibri told me I was nuts.

HAH! FACE! ^ _ ^
    I also have gear that 95% of your dumbass "HEY LET ME MELEE" WHM won't have. For example, if I were to equip the same gear I wear when I'm not meeling and try to pull the same numbers, it wouldn't even be close.

If SE does plan to implement some sort of way that a meeling WHM could get MP, it needs to be completely non-dependent on gear.

Melee WHM actually works in Nyzul Isle (when mobs are mainly DC-EM) and Bhaflau Remnant rampart farming. It's situational but can be quite handy.

I think SE probably found a practical use for melee RDM. According to Wiki, Death Blossom is
    capable of allowing certain enfeebling magic spells to land on monsters thought to be immune to them, as well as greatly increasing their chance of success. eg. It allows Carnage Elegy to land without Elemental Seal
    It's a 3-hit WS (less likely to miss) and can be used to open both light and dark skillchain. I will bring a Justice/Joyesue RDM/NIN to Cerberus camp and get him/her to TP on nearby trolls, switch to Cerberus to open dark skillchain when TP is ready so that other RDM/BRD can MB with elegy/slowII/paralyzeII. It's basically mage version of Feint.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

While we are at it I would also wish they could stop putting melee stats on mages ultimate weapon.. Relic mage weapon are a joke and it seems like they will never fix them but maybe there is still hope for the mythic, seeing they have some kind of +magic buff, though you are forced to melee and use ws to get most of it which is ridiculous since if you are in situation where you can afford meleeing as a mage then it probably means you would be more useful as another job..

And beside perma divine-veil effect on the whm weapon the other special stuff are kinda pathetic (+10% dmg ES, +50%hp back after convert, -20 enmity when matching weather etc) considering how hard it is to get a mythic.

And to the people saying aftermath on mage is fine since you can get tp with icarus wing/shikiyoyo stop beeing completly retarded, that's like saying a monk never need cure because he can use potions/chakra.

Hopefully they fix them soon so people with "main" mage job can finaly work toward a strong weapon for their favorite job, or that if they ever create more weapon like relic/mythic they put a SPELL like meteor/esuna etc unlocked by the weapon instead of a stupid ws.

Maybe if we complain enough they will give up the whole front line mage idea, instead of listening to the morons asking for melee enhancement on rdm or other mage jobs. You want to be a melee mage? Go lvl blu it's exactly that, who cares if 6 years ago rdm was intended to be efficient in both physical and magical side, it turned out they are better as pure mage, like how ninja wasn't "supposed" to tank.

All this talk about WHM melee makes me want to kill kittens. Mithra kittens. More so than RDM melee because at least RDMs can and has always been able to use some decent gear.

SE is out of it's fucking mind.

I quit my WHM 4 years back and been waiting ever since for a reason to go back and finish it, but the job has been declining like nobody's business over the past few years and now this? This has to be a joke... If SE want WHMs to do some damage, buff banish/holy spells or introduce new light based damage spells, not melee WHM.

I would just like to interrupt and say:

If you would like to be a white mage and melee, with the ability to be able to give yourself MP while doing so, then please level Dancer instead.

Thank you. Carry on.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I just shuddered a bit. What if they intend to make WHM a tank?

PLD is a raw blood tank, like WAR when we first started, it can cure itself though.
    NIN was probably intended to be the first front line mage, instead we use it to tank, not being an MP sponge.
    Neither job tanks magic damage very well, since -aga wipes shadows (not saying that it's great to block a tier 4 of AM with just one shadow), but they've given WHM all those Magic Def Bonus traits.
    What if they make all that MDB actually worth something, bringing WHM/NIN|WAR|RDM into the tanking scene for stuff that spams -agas.

The biggest problem with WHM melee is as my friend brings up, it would be on again off again. That big hole for MNK before Asuran? WHM gets a similar hole, starting at Anticans with their Silencega move. WHM75s don't have skill without a lot of work put into skilling up. And I have put a lot of work into skilling up, into soloing tough mobs, soloing as /RNG1 effectively taking my subjob off. I've had one party that let me melee a bit, I had club skill at about 20 from cap since I'd been working to get Hexa as soon as possible, the NIN we had was just pure awesome and only needed Haste, and we were disbanding in 20 minutes. I got maybe a .3 out of that whole 20 minutes.

As a melee, WHM has it's niche, that's soloing, farming, and skeletons/pots. But then we have MNK to beat skeles up, so why bother.

If you're just starting to level WHM and don't like the idea of being pretty much worthless in any melee situation, go level something else if you don't need just a WHM sub.

EDIT: It takes me a while to type out a post with my nephew in the room, and I hate double-posting. I was told by someone who was in the Beta that Holy, even from a PLD, was out-parsing most BLMs, and look at the crap we have now. Only reason I cast Holy is skillup, only reason I cast Banish is if we're fighting a Doomed type critter/skillup. Repose ftw.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast