• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread

Looking to buy an external hard drive...

I was trying to think of something my father would actually use for Christmas and I think this would get the most use. He runs his own business and travels out of state sometimes and usually just connects via one of those programs that takes control of the other computer. From my experience using it, it's generally very laggy.

He won't need some huge HDD of like 500GB or anything to that extent. Taking a guess I'd say 100GB or something would work. Just trying to get some ideas of what the good brands are and price ranges. Trying to be somewhat budget conscious as well, and from a store I could pick up from like bestbuy, circuit city, staples, etc. since it's getting very close to the holidays and don't want to worry about shipping.

Thanks in advance!

Edit-Are they generally powered by USB ports?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

How much do you want to spend? I know you said you wanted to know about price ranges, and pretty much, you're going to be spending something between $50 and $100 for anything decent.

Seagate - FreeAgent Go 120GB External Hard Drive - ST901203FGA1E1-RK

I'm not really familiar with this but just by looking, between 50 and 100 would be okay. Just by looking, if the western digital ones are okay, doubling the size of the HDD for 20 bucks would be worth it to me.

Bestbuy seagate one you listed is 120GB for 65 dollars.

Bestbuy western digital one is 250GB for 85 dollars.
    Western Digital - My Passport Essential 250GB External USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Midnight Black - WDME2500TN

Circuit City western digital 320GB for 60 dollars...
    Buy the Western Digital 320GB My Book Essential Edition 2.0 External Hard Drive and other Hard drives at circuitcity.com

Is the circuit city one just complete shit or something?

Edit-There was this one at staples too (320GB for 60 dollars) but alas, out of stock.
    http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...s_10051_SEARCH

And this was the upgraded version of the above one (500GB for 85 dollars)
    http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...SKU|204072|cmS

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

No, the WD one isn't shit. It's not FireWire compatible, so that's why it isn't more valuable. It also isn't powered through the USB port, which means you have to carry around an external AC adaptor. However, using an adaptor means the drive is potentially more efficient than one which saps its power from the USB port.

Considering that your dad probably doesn't care about FireWire and/or the machines he's using don't have it, and if you think he won't mind the AC adaptor, that drive is fine.

Edited my post a few times above fwiw.

I'm not sure what FireWire is. Thinking about it now, I guess I would just consider it more useful if he could bring it with him, but then again if that drains the battery of his laptop even faster it wont be so worth it. AC adapter would be fine then. Just want to spare him from using that GoToMyPC crap if he doesn't have to.

Okay, this is available for store pick up, just need to check if that 30 dollar savings making it 60 bucks is in store too. Seems like a winner if so!
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Weste...o#availability

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I have a western digital my passport, no issues at all with transfer times etc. I can play films off it directly if I havea care to.

Apparently i can drop it down stairs etc without it causing issues.. never tried that though.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm gonna guess you went ahead with the WD. As you mentioned, his using a laptop -- and not wanting to drain its battery -- is a good reason to get one with an AC adaptor.