+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

What craft did you take to 100 and why?

Hello all,

I'm a budding crafter and could use some advice (been playing since april 08 ). I have been struggling with the decision as to what to do once all my crafts are at 60. I have some time to think about it as I am FAR from having them all to 60 yet, but still could use some advise.

Currently:
    Cloth: 60
    Leather: 55
    Bone: 32
    All others (except cooking and fishing) are at 15.

Do I take one to 100, or parse out my 40 levels among a few crafts? For those of you that went to 100 with a craft, I'd like to know what influenced your decision, and why you picked the craft you did.

I should also say that I am not looking to get rich from crafting, so I am not looking to level any craft for a particular synth that makes uber gil. I am also in no way asking for recommended synths or how you make gil off of your craft. I already have a good system for that.

I have made money all along leveling my crafts so far. I'm really quite proud of that. So far I've managed to not NPC anything and lose minimal gil when I had no choice but to use a loser synth. I have had a huge net gain so far. Ffxiah is a great resource. I have 7 mules, so that helps - but I hold on to everything and sell 1 or 2 at a time until my inventory is gone. I'm willing to wait out the market if need be. On a side note - it boggles my mind how many people are willing to undercut eachother and take a loss on a skillup synth for no apparent reason.

Sorry for the digression... Back to the original question. Why did you decide to level to 100 and why?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Phinn

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

i did smithing 100 for a lot of reasons.

1. my nation is bastok
    2. im really into mining
    3. most of my friends are dds and im a sam (haubergeon n stuff)
    4. its pretty expencive, so there wont be as many people with smithing 100 like with cooking or alchy.
    5. im rl i work with metal

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Classy Nekoda
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Bloodhoof

I level'd Alchemy first --

My reasoning is simple I needed good quick steady gil fast(1-100 in under 2months)~

leather to 100 twice... I just liked it, and it made a fair ammount of gil back in the day...
    now too many people are doing it and all of the original high yield items have been replaced by better rare/ex items...

My reasoning is simple I needed good quick steady gil fast(1-100 in under 2months)~
    be careful on that.. i lvl'd a mule account 0-100 leather in 3 weeks and got banned for 7 days for "synthesis for rmt purposes" or whatever..

Etice

I did bonecraft b/c i'm a thf and wanted to synth my own cursed -1, but then that leads to the 2nd reason why i leveled bc, I love never HQ'n anything over level 60

Sanoske

Quote Originally Posted by Phinneas View Post

Do I take one to 100, or parse out my 40 levels among a few crafts?
    Phinn
    This. Why? Why does anyone even bother to bring this up. There is no benefit for having 2 crafts at 80, or 3 crafts at 73 or whatever that would EVER outweigh bringing a single craft to 100.

That aside, I took Cloth to 100 for magey type reasons. Plus it used to be more of an exclusive craft that it is now.

Leather I brought to 100(99 now) for... not really sure why. Just seemed like the right thing to do.

I'm still debating on what my 3rd craft will be.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm taking smithing to 100 (currently 97.1+3) because back 4+ years ago when I did start smithing, not a lot of people I knew did it. Plus, I was aware you could make a lot of the DD gear, and I was going that direction, so I thought, hey, why not?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Woodworking for self-signed HQ staves and fishing support.

I enjoy tapping my sisters fine ass
    BG Level

Well I wanted a pair of glasses, choices were GS CC and BC.

BC was the cheapest so started with that,

Then I decided that I started it I might as well finish it, then I decided I wanted to sign a weskit so I leveled some subs.

So in the end I say that I accidentally got BC to 100.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobsonofgod View Post
    Well I wanted a pair of glasses, choices were GS CC and BC.

GS were the coolest so started with that.

(9 more lvl to go before 100, but well, it will come someday)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Started bonecraft because i could farm the level up synth items (bone chips beetle shells/jaws leathers) and I was dirt poor. Pushed it to 60 for the glasses then finished to 100 for completeness and scorpion harnesses.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't even bother with it on a mule unless the mule was on a different server.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

There are far to many stupid "Spam crafters" out there to make lvling a craft worthwhile, if you enjoy crafting or have a never ending supply of gil then go ahead but i wouldnt depend on it as a main source of gil income, theres too much luck involved.

A great example is : on my server a month or 2 ago nobody was Selling cursed harness' so i thought i would make a couple, at the time they cost around 550k to make and i sold them (2) at 600k each (a whoping 50k gain from an NQ! the audacity) the very next sale was for either 500k or 550k - this is at a time where nobody else was selling them.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Leathercraft

Took it to 100 because as a 75 THF, I farmed my own materials. Took me like 2 months of straight farming for ~8 hours a day, but it got the job done. I initially wanted to take Goldsmithing to 100 back in 2004/05 so I could make my own Kaiser pieces for PLD. Ended up getting 4(3.5) out of 5 from the help of a LS friend and a LS rival who was also a friend (Thanks Dalek!). So accomplishing 80% of my goal beforehand made me not want to take GS to 100 (that and it was/is crazy expensive).

Now I'm thinking about taking Bonecraft to 100 on a mule so I can make my own Heca +1 set. I made a decision 4 years ago to never uncurse a NQ piece of armor and will stick to it. I have a 3 year old N. Head Abj in storage, 2 month old M. Body Abj in storage, and a 3 year Cursed Diechlings -1 in storage. All waiting for appropriate items.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Goldsmithing.

My home nation is Bastok and I needed something to do with those pesky ore I kept getting from works in Gustaburg. Luckily I stuck with it and leveled past the Ingots and such back in mid-late 2004.

Gold Ingot stacks at the time were 50k and Plat. Ingots were only 100k. Modeko and I were two of the only GS on Pandy at the time at those levels, ahhh good times. She helped me out a lot back then. Then I see the prices today and thank goodness I leveled it, especially considering I got into its totally out of the blue.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Originally I did woodworking way back, but as I was climbing into the later levels I realised that most crafts, woodworking included, had way way too many people with it at high levels, so I did a little research and narrowed it down to a few candidates, then chose smithing because I would be able to sign neat armor

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Did bonecraft because bitches be popping out SH+1 for twenty-five mil back in the day. I be like, DAYUM DAS SHIT IS CASH MONEY, LET ME GET DAT.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Took up alchemy ages ago when I was a RNG looking to save some gil on my Silver Bullets. Eventually stopped at 80 when I leveled NIN and realized I could make more gil farming than I could in alchemy.

Several months back, I did the calculations and realized I had finally saved enough gil to level leathercraft to 100 and churn through enough Dusk Gloves synths (A few at a time) until I finally HQed myself a pair. The expected cost at the time was something like 2 million to do leather and 15 million to HQ Dusk Gloves, and they were selling for well over 20 million, so it was a no-brainer. The fact that I also wanted a Cerberus Mantle +1, Dusk Ledelsens +1, and I had a Sniper's +1 that I wanted to trade in for a signed one (As well as craft a second) provided enough incentive for me to overcome my risk aversion.

Lo and behold, I got lucky with 4 HQs on Panther Masks, which paid for most of the leveling costs, I HQed my 9th Dusk Gloves synth while skilling up on them, my first Sniper's attempt, my fourth Dusk Ledelsens, and have been ridiculously lucky on the Cerb Mantle front. Good thing I got so lucky, because the majority of leathercraft markets on Caitsith are ridiculous. Eg, Sniper's Ring is currently a small net loss at an expected HQ rate of 1/12, sells slow as hell, and yet Archer's Rings sell almost as soon as they hit the AH. So my second signed Sniper's +1 is going to have to wait. There are two very profitable markets currently open, but they both seem to be in the stages of closing.

Goldberg

Started BC back in the day was probably the cheapest/easyr to do i was an aspiring nin that wanted his own SH+1, KSNM back in the day was very profitable for Vclaw so seem`d like the best idea..

Dont regret it apart from the 0/w,e cursed cap -1
    0/w,e Genie`s ><

Bringer of Bacon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Cloth to 95~ so I could make my own Aristocrat's, then Blessed gear was a bonus goal when that was released. Was going to take it to 99 or 100 but that got banned.

So, bone now, for self signed SH+1 and Heca+1. Been profitable for a while.. but like the others, theres just too many crafting now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I took up Cooking to make my own jug pets when I was mostly BST, never really used it for profit until recently. Was 97 for years, finally decided to finish it up so I could T2 squid sushi in the field.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast