Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

"A more random, pointless attack, it's hard to fathom."

The Calgary Sun - Hope and charity shine as city artists band together to help Tank Standing Buffalo and his wife recover from an attack

Her kitchen spattered with blood, Marsha Ellen Meidow wasn't even sure her husband was still alive, as his assailant kicked and punched at his limp, unresponsive body.

And then the attacker, one of two strangers who'd burst through the front door in a violent, frenzied rage, bared his teeth and started biting the victim.

"He started biting him all over his body, like an animal, like a crazed, rabid pitbull," said Meidow, 33.

"I started screaming for help as loud as I could -- the biting took it to a whole other level, and I knew I had to make it stop.

"If they killed me for screaming, I thought that's the cost of trying to save someone I love."

A more random, pointless attack, it's hard to fathom.

It was 3:40 a.m. on Dec. 6, when the phone rang. The call was expected, despite the late hour.

Tank Standing Buffalo, 31, a respected Calgary artist and Meidow's husband, had found a cellphone in the back seat of a cab as he returned home from a night out with a male friend.

The cellphone's owner had dialed his own number, and after some good-natured ribbing about his lost phone, Standing Buffalo and Meidow told the man -- a friendly, good-humoured sounding person -- to come by and pick it up.

"If he hadn't sounded so friendly, we'd have never given him our address," said Buffalo, one eye still swollen and all but blind from the beating he endured.

The 3:40 a.m. call was the cellphone owner again, saying he'd found their street, but couldn't find the exact home.

Meidow leaned out the door of her southwest house, saw the two men down the road, and waved them over.

"A matter of seconds later, they smashed through the door, and it knocked me down -- so my husband and his friend came racing down from upstairs," said Meidow.

Standing Buffalo, no small target at 6-ft.-4, received a savage blow straight to the face from one of the men, who screamed at him, "Is it (expletive) funny now?"

Out cold, Buffalo was then dragged into the kitchen, where the main assailant kicked and punched him until he was caked in blood -- and then the thug started spitting on him.

"He punched him over and over and over again -- there was blood everywhere," said Meidow.

"Then he started spitting in his face."

Meidow says she's not sure whether it was drugs, alcohol or steroids fuelling the savage anger of the main attacker, a muscle-bound Caucasian, while his equally large partner kept Buffalo's male friend at bay.

Meidow's frantic screams finally broke off the assault, as neighbours rushed over, saying police had been called.

Before they ran into the night, the main aggressor told Meidow it wasn't over -- he'd be back to chop her head off.

Police apparently have suspects, but no arrests have been made. Knowing the attackers are still on the loose has forced the couple to split up, fearing the men may return.

The assault was over a week ago, and Standing Buffalo is now out of intensive care and laying low in Calgary.

Meidow, who left the city for the sanctuary of her mother's home out east, says she is struggling to sleep, and fighting to keep the violent images from haunting her days.

"I feel changed by this -- I've lost a little faith in humanity," she says, fighting back tears.

For Meidow to say that is a loss for all of Calgary -- just last year, she was presented with the YMCA Humanitarian of the Year Award for her work with victims of violence, as well as her role as producer and director of the Vagina Monologues.

Having touched hundreds of lives as a couple dedicated to helping others, some of that kindness will be repaid this Saturday, at the Studio Pub at 922 Centre St. N.

There, artists ranging from musicians to burlesque dancers and magicians are planning a public fundraising concert to help the couple stay afloat as they rebuild their lives, and find a new home where they'll feel safe.

Standing Buffalo, who is still sore and bruised, says he is most worried about the emotional damage done to his wife, having witnessed the violence.

"I think she got the worst of it," said Standing Buffalo.

Out east, Meidow says the cruelest blow is being apart from her husband, unable to afford having him join her.

"They've stolen Christmas from us."
    ...That's pretty fucked up.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

What is it with canadians and decapitation?

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

What in the fuck is wrong with people in the world today..

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Okay.

Stupidity?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    What is it with canadians and decapitation?
    Must be all the vampires up in Canada.

Well that was depressing

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

is it just me or is it stupid to say things like her husband is still in calgari and she is out east? I would think for protection they shouldn't give any statement of where they are, even if it's vague. Very sad story to say the least. :/

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Fuck crazy people from Alberta. I'm glad I've got two vicious mountain ranges and a body of water in between me and Alberta.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

thats fucked up. what kind of a name is Tank Standing Buffalo?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sounds Asian to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    im guessing native american.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dood if you don't see Asian blinking in bright flashing lights you're insane!

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

i could understand native american, but i didnt think those kind of names still flew these days. asian honestly never crossed my mind.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm furious that his name is Tank Standing Buffalo for one lol. Also, wouldnt it be easy for cops to find the guys via phone records/gps? all cell phones have those built in

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

A fucking sweet kind.

And people ask me why I dont respect humanity.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm sorry but the dude's name is Tank Buffalo. He should have won.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Yeah you can't go out like that with a name like that.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Sounds vaguely anime to me.