+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

This plan is destined to work. I mean, all of the taxes they've added to cigarettes over the years has really cut down on smoking. Right?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I like it, but the tax should be much higer, they should also heavily tax fast food. They also need to make cig and alcohol tax higher.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    This plan is destined to work. I mean, all of the taxes they've added to cigarettes over the years has really cut down on smoking. Right?
    But it has made the government a shitload of money, which regardless of the reasons presented is always the main purpose of any tax.
    1)Find something people overindulge in
    2)Tax the hell out of it
    3)Profit

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Yeah.

ACS :: US Smoking Rates Continue to Drop
    About 44.5 million US adults (20.9% of the population) were current smokers in 2004, the agency reported. That's down from 2003, when 45.4 million US adults (21.6%) smoked. The figures are based on the National Health Interview Survey, a telephone survey of more than 31,000 US residents over age 18.

What's more, smokers also appear to be lighting up less than in the past. Back in 1993, daily smokers averaged nearly 20 cigarettes a day, but by 2004, that number was down to just under 17 a day.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Was just getting ready to say... yeah it has.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Well that surprised me lol. Around here you wouldn't be able to tell. Though the drop could be from people actually believing that smoking causes cancer.

On second thought, you're right, it must be the taxes. Seriously not a sarcastic remark, people are stupid.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Good thing I stopped drinking those years ago...

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Legalize weed tax the shit out of it.
    made me think of a chris rock skit. He said to legalize guns, but make bullets coast 2000$ each, so you really have to think about it before you shoot. Since it's NY they could do the same and put a 50% tax on the bullets! Will lower crime, but raise profits fast. D:

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Isn't this one of the first steps towards oppression?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

As for the glycemic index discussion, I think what Stumblingdrunk is trying to get at is the difference in metabolism between glucose and fructose. For one thing, Fructose is an intermediary product of the glycolysis of glucose, so by introducing it directly you skip out on a few energy-consuming steps, as described in a post above. The real kicker though, is that fructose is primarily used to synthesize fatty acids in the liver, and not for more short term energy needs like production of ATP through the Krebs cycle. This means that nearly all of the fructose in your diet goes directly into fat production without even having a shot to be utilized in a short-term form in your cells, hence the issue (NOT pseudo-science at all, btw). That paper Archibaldcrane posted is interesting though.

In the interests of sanity, I will refrain from posting pictures of metabolic pathways as proof. If you want, I can post them though, lol.

Black Belt
    BG Level

I think this is a good idea, and I'm someone who really enjoys a soda every now and then (and mixed with alcohol).

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Could it be possible that it is decreased spending and not more taxes that will solve New York's problem?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Or maybe even better economic conditions? I fail to see how increased taxation helps anyone, especially while simultaneously cutting funding on subsidies to schools, hospitals, and other aid.

WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

BG Level

You cut funding on subsidies because you don't have enough money. AND GUESS WHAT YOU CAN GET MONEY FROM.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Stimulating the economy? Raising taxes does the exact opposite.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Deftscythe View Post
    So stupid. You can't force changes in life style with taxes.
    It's not about lifestyle, it's about NY spending too much damn money. They need to spend less instead of tax more. NY has some of the worst taxes in the country already. This is almost as bad as the taxes they are trying to impose on the Native Americans living here.

So what this all means is I have to choose between a guy that likes hookers, and one that likes taxes? Awesome.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Dont drink soda, dont care.

If they start taxing bacon though I'm getting my pitchfork.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    It's not about lifestyle, it's about NY spending too much damn money. They need to spend less instead of tax more. NY has some of the worst taxes in the country already. This is almost as bad as the taxes they are trying to impose on the Native Americans living here.

So what this all means is I have to choose between a guy that likes hookers, and one that likes taxes? Awesome.

I like hookers and taxes, but sadly I'm taken. I'll let you know if that changes.

I love how politicians can dream this shit up and have there ideas make it so far.

Firstly, why would they measure it by amount of fruit juice content as apposed to sugar content? Considering sugar is a dilutable substance you can still have a shit load of sugar even if it's 90% real fruit juice.

Secondly, not everyone has a shitty ass metabolism where they gain 10 pounds from one can. I personally drink 3-4 cans a day and don't gain a feather from it.

and lastly, walk more and stop being so fat god damn.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    I like hookers and taxes, but sadly I'm taken. I'll let you know if that changes.
    Would you spend the tax money getting everyone hookers?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast