+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

White vigilantes killed eleven African Americans in New Orelans?

Democracy Now! | Katrina's Hidden Race War: In Aftermath of Storm, White Vigilante Groups Shot 11 African Americans in New Orelans
    In a shocking new report, The Nation magazine exposes how white vigilante groups patrolled the streets of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, shooting at least eleven African American men. Local police have never conducted investigations into the shootings. We speak to reporter A.C. Thompson and New Orleans resident Donnell Herrington, who nearly died after being shot by a white vigilante.
    The Nation Magazine has just published a major investigative report titled “Katrina’s Hidden Race War.” The article examines how a group of white vigilantes in the predominantly white New Orleans neighborhood of Algiers Point shot at least eleven African-American men in the days after Hurricane Katrina. Local police have never conducted investigations into the shootings. The author of the article, A.C. Thompson, will join us in a few minutes but first we turn to a video produced by the Nation Institute and Hidden Driver. It is narrated by A.C. Thompson and features interviews with some of the victims of the vigilante violence.
    Some of the white men involved in the vigilante group have publicly bragged about taking part in violence but none of them have faced arrest. In 2005 several of the men talked about their activities in the Danish documentary “Welcome to New Orleans.”
    You've got to be fucking kidding me.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

After what some of the stories one of my LS mates from New Orleans had told me about the people in the superdome, I'm not surprised. I guess the police could have done more, but not surprising at all.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

and racism marches on

I'm not surprised, but it goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    group of white vigilantes in the predominantly white New Orleans neighborhood

Why were the men that were killed there? If there were there to loot I can't blame the vigilantes.

And to call them "Vigilantes" implies that they were doing justice, that they thought they were right in killing these men.

This story definitely needs more information before any valid opinion an be formed.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Suited Aces View Post
    Why were the men that were killed there? If there were there to loot I can't blame the vigilantes.

And to call them "Vigilantes" implies that they were doing justice, that they thought they were right in killing these men.

This story definitely needs more information before any valid opinion an be formed.
    Donnell Herrington, New Orleans resident who nearly died on Sept. 1, 2005, after he was shot by a white vigilante in Algiers Point.
    We are also joined by Donnell Herrington in New Orleans. He nearly died on Sept. 1, 2005 after being shot by a white vigilante while he was heading to an official evacuation site at the Algiers Point ferry terminal.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

So, a few white "vigilantes" constitutes a race war? Got to love the wordplay. Give me a fucking break.

It is very sad that no investigation was done. Assuming that these people were shot at based only on the fact that they were black. I still think this story needs a bit more info though.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I recall people firing at the helicopters that were trying to rescue people. So yah, it's all pretty fucked up. This comes to no surprose.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

jesus the south is such trash

BG Level

So, a few white "vigilantes" constitutes a race war?
    If some of them were shooting at black people for no other reason than that, then that's pretty much what they think are doing. Do you want me to introduce you to Stromfront, perhaps get you acquainted with the lingo?
    Assuming that these people were shot at based only on the fact that they were black.
    One person who was shot at, as i pointed out, was only on his way to the dome and was not stealing or what have you, which begs the question of why he was shot at in the first place. Perhaps a misunderstanding?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

As of right now, the only thing fucked up about this is the apparent lack of an investigation. Beyond that, speculating on racism, looting, even the word "vigilante" seems like a stretch given the limited information.

Edit: Ok, once you read the actual article, instead of the...article about an article that Kuya posted and quoted, the picture becomes somewhat clearer and more fucked up.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/2009010...n?rel=hp_picks

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Psh, a few black guys shoot white people it's gang violence and when white people do it now it's a hate crime. D:

...but seriously, the news seems pretty aggrandized but it doesn't change the fact it was stupid. It doesn't shock me since it's the south and all, but the fact the police ignored it is rather frustrating. It's almost like, what the fuck do they pay you for?

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Niggas were shady.

Black Belt
    BG Level

yeah it's really so horrible that the nat'l guard/police/etc were taking peoples' guns away.

this is insane.

BG Level

YouTube - Katrina's Hidden Race War: In Aftermath of Katrina, Vigilantes Shot 11 Blacks in New Orelans(1 of 2)

YouTube - Katrina's Hidden Race War: In Aftermath of Katrina, Vigilantes Shot 11 Blacks in New Orelans(2 of 2)

I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree that there are racial undertones here, but i can agree that the incompetence is simply jarring. Christ.

edit: pay attention to when they check out the dead body. Wow, that is infuriating.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Since when havent white people been killing blacks in the south and not getting away with it?

Is this even news?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    yeah it's really so horrible that the nat'l guard/police/etc were taking peoples' guns away.

this is insane.
    Yeah, it would be a shame if law abiding citizens could defend themselves from people like these 'vigilantes'.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Yeah, it would be a shame if law abiding citizens could defend themselves from people like these 'vigilantes'.
    I think they just want the stupid people who think guns solve problems to kill themselves off, in which case i'd support letting them have guns.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Ironically, had the people who were attacked by the vigilantes had weapons, they would have been accused of being hoodlums trying to steal things.

Unless someone wants to argue that there aren't people who think that black+gun=hoodlum.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Ironically, had the people who were attacked by the vigilantes had weapons, they would have been accused of being hoodlums trying to steal things.

Unless someone wants to argue that there aren't people who think that black+gun=hoodlum.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...320_SY240_.jpg
    Christ Man, we almost arrested an innocent man!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast