Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moblins don't make sense     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    ...is that the evoker ring npc?

Wow, and I thought mayakov was faaabulouth

In any case, I stand by my point, SE tends to not give much thought to their Lores.
    Is that why Alexander/Odin feels disconnected from...well, everything in ZM/CoP?

A. Body
    BG Level

Fact is Moblins weren't purely antagonistic even in COP. ENM NPCs, Outpost NPC, regional NPCs, a couple quest NPCs, so this isn't new. Conversely, I don't see how paying mercenaries to fight us every other day is a more healthy relationship. Unlike the Middle Lands, the Empire doesn't even barter goods with the Moblins (the mercs the Empire hires are actually Goblins.)

The TOA Moblins were obviously the smart ones. I always guessed that all of the Movalpolos Moblins were originally centered in or around Halvung. When they found the Promathia statue (probably somewhere in the Gugru Blue) and took it as a sign, all the guys who wanted something to do other than dig hopped on the kill whitey bandwagon while the guys who knew better stayed where they KNEW the Iron Giant was. It explains why there are so few Moblins within Halvung and why they had to hire the Trolls in the first place. 'Course I'm just musing now.

I'm pretty sure they found the statue in the Sea of Shu'Meyo.

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melios View Post
    I'm pretty sure they found the statue in the Sea of Shu'Meyo.
    Even if they did, their base still could have been centered around Halvung.
    All I remember is that they found it under an ocean. Considering the Meltdown had at least one major explosion, it's not impossible for one of their statues to land a couple hundred miles away. Since the Sea of Shu'Meyo is right next to the Gugru Blue...

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Melios View Post
    Is that why Alexander/Odin feels disconnected from...well, everything in ZM/CoP?
    More or less, ToAU lore introduces the underworld system where hazhalm is connected into and Luzaf and crew escaped from, and Cerberus originated from

Which wouldn't exist if all souls return to the crystal when they die to reincarnate or whatever.

The TOA Moblins were obviously the smart ones. I always guessed that all of the Movalpolos Moblins were originally centered in or around Halvung. When they found the Promathia statue (probably somewhere in the Gugru Blue) and took it as a sign, all the guys who wanted something to do other than dig hopped on the kill whitey bandwagon while the guys who knew better stayed where they KNEW the Iron Giant was. It explains why there are so few Moblins within Halvung and why they had to hire the Trolls in the first place. 'Course I'm just musing now.
    Makes me wonder why there weren't any in Salvage/Nyzul though.

A. Body
    BG Level

Moblins? I just told you, there are so few of them and those who are left are all in administrative positions over the Trolls, so they send their mercenaries for the more dangerous work.

As for Nyzul, the only beastmen in there are Frogs & Qiqirn (which doesn't make a WHOLE lot of sense, but anyway), so Moblins not being in there could be for whatever reason the Mamools/Trolls/Lamiae aren't in there. Since it includes other groups besides the Troll Mercs, it doesn't affect Moblins specifically, so it's not necessarily relevant to their origins, objectives, or interests.

Sagacious Sundi

Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    I always guessed that all of the Movalpolos Moblins were originally centered in or around Halvung.
    Doesn't the ToA website say they're an "offshoot from Movalpolos"? I always saw them as Moblins who, right off the bat, knew that the Promathia statue was not the iron giant and continued searching (while the majority tried to activate it and stole books and kidnapped people to try to find out how to, as mentioned in one of those Moblin quests or CoP missions), thus leading them to the Near East.

A. Body
    BG Level

If you're trying to make a point about who left whom, remaining in one place could still be considered desertion, so it's a question of semantics.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Well, I figure that the moblins main interest is the iron giant, so at the very least there would be a few roaming in the alzadaal inner zones for exploration. I mean what's the point of doing excavation if you won't even explore the actual structure of the very item you are searching for?

A. Body
    BG Level

Could be for any number of reasons. They may have their own legends connected to the area (akin to our our marking the first Ragnorok as the beginning of the Crystal Era), but not be fully aware of the connection. They could be aware of the connection, but since it is deactivated it is no longer 'bathed in light.' They lack access to the same information the Empire does (and they obviously lack the Gordius.) Hell, unlike the Empire, they may have already concluded that control unit wasn't in the ruins itself ages ago, but didn't know where else to look. Considering they were all scientists, maybe they're trying to develop their own means of powering and controlling Alzadaal, just as the Empire had. All of these are reasons they could have spared effort on any further exploration while still believing their destiny lie there.

Sagacious Sundi

Could just be laziness on SE's part and you can just imagine that there are Moblins and Trolls researching various parts of Alzadaal that we don't explore.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I would wager that some of the more obvious and gaping plot holes, in general, are intentionally placed to be later filled by expansion content...

Moblins in ToAU region possibly not aware of current activities and philosophies of major moblin population in Movapolos given distance and time away from group etc.. kinda like the analogy of bad news in "Mostly Harmless".

WoTG moblins... when you start time travel stories insert your own deus ex-machina explanation when necessary.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Moblins dont make sense

Here are two that immediately come to mind for me...

Have your cake and eat it, too.
    Well what do you want me to do with it? Stare at it? Make it the centerpiece on a coffee table? I want to have cake, and the point of having cake is to eat it

Its all about who wants it more.
    You hear this in sports a lot. This doesnt really make sense. Of course everyone wants it. But just because one person wants it more doesnt mean hes going to succeed. The better individual or team depending on the sport and/or situation is going to do it with skill, even if the other person/team wanted it more.

Do you have any?

User was infracted for this post.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by illulsogefe View Post
    Here are two that immediately come to mind for me...

Have your cake and eat it, too.
    Well what do you want me to do with it? Stare at it? Make it the centerpiece on a coffee table? I want to have cake, and the point of having cake is to eat it

Its all about who wants it more.
    You hear this in sports a lot. This doesnt really make sense. Of course everyone wants it. But just because one person wants it more doesnt mean hes going to succeed. The better individual or team depending on the sport and/or situation is going to do it with skill, even if the other person/team wanted it more.

Do you have any?
    So this is the "doesn't make sense" thread now?

"You can't have your cake and eat it too." is a reference to buyer's remorse. It feels good just to HAVE something (usually money), even though simply having it and not using it does you no good. Having something gives you the power and control to do what you want with it, when you want to.

For example if you suddenly inherit $20,000, you can buy some cool stuff. You feel a "power high" as you consider many different things you could purchase. After you spend the money, you will invariably experience some level of remorse as you think of all the other stuff you could have bought instead (and also, your "power high" is over).

Having a cake is awesome because it means you can eat cake whenever you want. But after you eat the cake, you no longer have the ability to eat cake whenever you want.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Gergall View Post
    So this is the "doesn't make sense" thread now?

"You can't have your cake and eat it too." is a reference to buyer's remorse. It feels good just to HAVE something (usually money), even though simply having it and not using it does you no good. Having something gives you the power and control to do what you want with it, when you want to.

For example if you suddenly inherit $20,000, you can buy some cool stuff. You feel a "power high" as you consider many different things you could purchase. After you spend the money, you will invariably experience some level of remorse as you think of all the other stuff you could have bought instead (and also, your "power high" is over).

Having a cake is awesome because it means you can eat cake whenever you want. But after you eat the cake, you no longer have the ability to eat cake whenever you want.
    I honestly never knew the expression myself; thanks for the clarification.

Xaru

The phrase was originally "you can't eat your cake, and have it too" but it got distorted into today's version at some point.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    The phrase was originally "you can't eat your cake, and have it too" but it got distorted into today's version at some point.
    Distorted? Or improved?!

I was told that it's not an American phrase, and to "have something" in the way that the phrase is structured is to consume it.

Therefore to "have your cake" is to eat your cake, and then to "have your cake and eat it too" means that you are consuming it twice.