+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

The Day The Earth Stood Still (MC: 40, RT: 21%)

Despite what others may have said, I highly enjoyed it.

The aspect of how humanity should seriously reconsider how we go about our daily lives is extremely intriguing. Any other thoughts from anyone else that saw it?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I really liked it, I felt the same way about the message. Did it get bad reviews or something? Good movie, still.

Can't say I saw many critics screaming to go see it, but maybe they just didn't pay that week's advertising budget. Either way, it wasn't a terrible movie, but it's not exactly one I'll rush to get on DVD.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I thought it was cool to look at, but they kinda hit you over the head with the "HEY, STOP GLOBAL WARMING YOU ASSHOLE" message.

I actually enjoyed this movie as well, despite the poor reviews.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Same here, it was good in my opinion

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Klutz View Post
    Despite what others may have said, I highly enjoyed it.

The aspect of how humanity should seriously reconsider how we go about our daily lives is extremely intriguing. Any other thoughts from anyone else that saw it?
    I thought it was stupid and preachy.

Spoiler: show
    Oh and there really was no reason to stray from the plot of the original movie which actually made sense except that bitching about global warming is the hip thing to do any more (I wonder how much damage to the earth was done in creating this movie?).

Ending humanity if we don't stop warring because other worlds are worried about us fighting them = makes sense.
    Ending humanity if we don't stop using technology and harming the Earth so advanced life forms can survive...while using advanced techology/biology hybrid as a means to end humanity = stupid

The way they tied the environment into the plot, the only way it would have made sense was if Neo came down and said "Woah...hey dudes use this tech we discovered. It's totally more eco-friendly and futuristical. Plus then we don't have to get bogus and kill you!"

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

Helen was hot, her son was annoying as fuck the whole movie. Keanu sucked as predicted. I hated the movie. There's nothing we can do about global warming anymore. Hope aliens come and
    shut down everything like in the movie

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
    I thought it was stupid and preachy.
    This.

As I beavered away...
    BG Level

I hated that fucking black kid. So damn annoying the whole movie. I wish he had fallen off that bridge and broken his back. And then drowned.

But anyway, movie itself was alright. Not fantastic but not bad. Never saw or heard about the original.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The original is still one of my favorite movies ever, I liked this one as well. Once you realize it is a remake it makes sense, I dont see it as preachy because this concept was thought up before many of you were even born and seems to talk about the issues we face in 2008.

Weird coincidence eh?

Ridill
    BG Level

should have just kept the original story, but made it look prettier with all those computer things kids are using these days. and instead of using the cast they used for this movie, they should make it a marionette show using the corpses of the original actors(assuming they are dead). then I would see it.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I wished that kid would've died so bad.

Any movie where Keanu Reeves/Will Smith/Nicholas Cage save the world and/or are Jesus or where Mel Gibson is tortured and/or crucified by people with British accents or where Jim Carrey is a spaz or where Bruce Willis plays a disgruntled _______ is fine by me.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waef View Post
    I hated that fucking black kid. So damn annoying the whole movie. I wish he had fallen off that bridge and broken his back. And then drowned.
    ^

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Didn't like it and

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post

Oh and there really was no reason to stray from the plot of the original movie which actually made sense except that bitching about global warming is the hip thing to do any more (I wonder how much damage to the earth was done in creating this movie?).

Ending humanity if we don't stop warring because other worlds are worried about us fighting them = makes sense.
    Ending humanity if we don't stop using technology and harming the Earth so advanced life forms can survive...while using advanced techology/biology hybrid as a means to end humanity = stupid

The way they tied the environment into the plot, the only way it would have made sense was if Neo came down and said "Woah...hey dudes use this tech we discovered. It's totally more eco-friendly and futuristical. Plus then we don't have to get bogus and kill you!"
    LOL

I had no idea that was the original plot, that makes this movie so much worse.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah the original's -script- was miles better. I say script because either way the plot is hokey; honestly if aliens ever worried about us being hostile and had the ability to 'magic' us away like both movies suggested I doubt we'd ever know what hit us.

I was expecting the 'we wont help you because you'll use the technology for evil' a la star trek that didn't happen. That for me would have sealed the movie, if only because I could totally buy aliens wiping us out because planets that can support life are rare, look at our history and wars that happen over territory.

Plus the whole them giving us a chance = they're not 'evil' wouldn't seem as contrived in that sense.

To be honest, I really liked the movie, but I didn't like the ending so much.. I don't know how to spoiler tag and don't want to fail trying, but I just felt like what he 'learned' while on the planet he would have already known if he was watching the human race... even the other guy he talked to told him (Tai guy or whatever)

Shrug

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

The other guy you mentioned also said he didn't feel that way until he had spent time amongst them.

I thought it was a great movie. I hadn't seen the original (though I did read up on it) and while I thought the idea of global warming being the catalyst for the invasion was a little hokey it's not like it hasn't been done before.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

As far as a movie going experiance, I really enjoyed this movie, as far as vs the orig it's not near as good but most arent. Still love KEANU, just wished he would of used kung-fu or dodged a bullet