+ Reply to Thread
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Vista Networking Issue: File Sharing

As the title states, i'm having problems with sharing drives over a network using Vista 64bit Home Premium. I've turned on File Sharing and when i shared the drive i gave full access to the "Everyone" account yet i still get the error code 0x80070005 (Which is Access Denied).

I've gone through the same steps on another machine and shared a drive and i had no problem accessing it from another computer.

EDIT: When i try to access the drive, it says the drive is available but the user account that i tried to access it with was denied access. Yet i access to the drive for "Everyone".

Any help would be awesome because this is driving me crazy...

Thanks in advance.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Try setting the user rights to one user (yourself) and use your network credentials to try to access the drive. Also try putting the computers on the same workgroup, it makes it easier for the computer to autodiscover each other. For instance set your computer and the one you're trying to access with in the MSHOME workgroup and see if that helps.

Other things you can try:

- Turn off Windows Firewall, try again
    - Make sure Network Discovery, File Sharing, and Media Sharing are set to On in the Network and Sharing Center.
    - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts - Should be set to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves

Have you done that patch thingy so that network map works right?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Nope i haven't seen that patch. Yet when i try to install it says "Not enough storage is available to process this command."

I have the firewalls turned off for each computer.
    I have Network Discovery, File Sharing and Media Sharing enabled for both
    All computers on the network are on the same workgroup

Give us a quick breakdown of your LAN?

Like;

Desktop - Vista64
    Laptop - XP Home
    Desktop2 - XP Pro

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Desktop1 - Vista64 - Problem sharing drives - Trying to share 5TB raid and 500GB Mirror
    Desktop2 - Vista64 - Shares a 640GB USB harddrive
    Desktop3 - Vista64 - Doesn't share anything
    Desktop4 - XP Pro - Shares 500GB Mirror
    Desktop5 - XP64 - Doesn't share anything
    Desktop6 - XP Pro - Doesn't share anything
    Laptop1 - XP pro - Shares one 150GB
    Laptop2 - Vista64 - Doesn't share anything
    Laptop3 - Mac - Doesn't share anything

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue View Post
    Have you done that patch thingy so that network map works right?

Download details: Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)
    If he is able to get to the point of being denied access, he can see the drive, it is just a permissions issue. Your network is most likely set to public, meaning it does not trust any computer on the network, you want to set your network type to private, so it trusts other PC's on your network. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx check out the Setting the Network Location Type section. If your screenshot matches the circled below, read further for solution.

http://i.technet.microsoft.com/Bb727...echNet.10).gif

Hopefully your solution:

To view the current network location type, do the following, click Start, right-click Network, and then click Properties.

The Network and Sharing Center window displays the network location type in parentheses after the network name.

To the right of the network name and location type, click Customize.

In the Set Network Location dialog box, click Private, and then click Next.

In the Successfully set network settings dialog box, click Close. You may need to restart.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

The network is set to private

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

just another shot in the dark, make sure you set the permissions in both places (the security and sharing tab)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Local Policies - Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts - Should be set to Classic - local users authenticate as themselves
    When i went to go look for this in the Administrative Tools, it wasn't there. Is there another way to access it?

Permissions in both the security and sharing tab are the same

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Is password protected sharing enabled? If it is, what happens is the computer your trying to connect from trys to connect using the username it is currently logged in on, meaning.... it will be denied (unless u make another user account on the sharing machine matching the username/password). I am not sure if this is how it works, but if it is enabled, it would mean "Everyone" is everyone that has a user account on the machine, not really "everyone". See below for how to disable it. If it is already disabled, post back.

To disable password protected sharing, do the following:

In the Sharing and Discovery section of the Network and Sharing Center window, click the down arrow next to Password protected sharing.

Within the Password protected sharing settings, click Turn off password protected sharing, and then click Apply.