+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doubt (MC: 68, RT: 78%)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Doubt (MC: 68, RT: 78%)

Disclaimer: All of my comments will be strictly about the movie as I've never seen the play.

Has anyone seen this? If so, what did you think? So far I've heard some very mixed reviews about it: from people saying that it was an amazing film to it boring them.

My thoughts: I liked it very much. The performances from Streep and Hoffman were spectacular. I liked the idea of a film being completely ambigious and not answering any of the questions it raised. I was a little put-off, though, by a few plot holes that seemed to exist simply because it helped the writer keep the audience guessing, but held the story back in my opinion. I would still recomend it for those who haven't seen it yet, though.

And for those who have seen it, a few questions:

Spoiler: show
    Do you think Father Flynn did it? And what do you think the Sister meant at the end of the movie when she said, "I have such doubts."

Little Hoffman is always awesome, and I'd like to see this film, sorry no help as far as discussion goes :/

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by pohibaba View Post
    Disclaimer: All of my comments will be strictly about the movie as I've never seen the play.

Has anyone seen this? If so, what did you think? So far I've heard some very mixed reviews about it: from people saying that it was an amazing film to it boring them.

My thoughts: I liked it very much. The performances from Streep and Hoffman were spectacular. I liked the idea of a film being completely ambigious and not answering any of the questions it raised. I was a little put-off, though, by a few plot holes that seemed to exist simply because it helped the writer keep the audience guessing, but held the story back in my opinion. I would still recomend it for those who haven't seen it yet, though.

And for those who have seen it, a few questions:

Do you think Father Flynn did it? And what do you think the Sister meant at the end of the movie when she said, "I have such doubts."
    I loved the quirky little humor that surfaces on a few occasions, particularly in the few scenes w/ the 3 principle characters.

I don't think he did it or that we are meant to think that he did, otherwise we wouldn't have learned from the mom that the black kid was gay, the initial doubts that Sister Aloysius has about Father Flynn were so spurious (that he touched the kids hands cause his fingernails were so dirty). Ultimately, though there is plenty of circumstantial stuff that wasn't answered beyond a shadow of a doubt, which I think is the point.

I took the end w/ her doubts to have a few intended reasons they want us to think of. Firstly of the grander theme of the movie: Aloysius is in doubt of the future of the church because of the reforms of the new pope who was here represented by Flynn (I saw allusion to this when she tells Sister James to put up the picture of the pope so the kids think she has eyes on the back of her head; and she asks him somethin to the effect that shouldn't she put up a picture of the living pope?). Also, I thought she had some doubts about her certainty of his guilt, and finally that her certainty itself is doubt.

Great movie though, and I usually find myself struggling to sit through a 2hrish movie with all talking. Streep will get an oscar for this no doubt.