+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headphone killing iPod.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Headphone killing iPod.

I think I have one! Yay~ I've gone through one pair of skullcandy earbuds, a pair of sony earbuds, and just now some shitty headphones that came with an amp I bought. None of which are a huge loss. But they were all working fine before I put them in this dumbass iPod of mine.

I just plugged in these headphones this morning and within 10 minutes on the way to work the left side (it's ALWAYS the left side) conks out and stops working. Period. Doesn't matter what/where I plug it in. Tried it on my computer at work, nothin'. So I've come to the conclusion (after only 3 sets of headphones/earbuds, go me!) that my iPod is fucking defective or something.

I've had it for a while though. It's like.. a 4th gen 60GB iPod video or something? 4th or 5th, I dunno. Either way I guess I'm due for an upgrade?

Anyone else ever have this happen to them before?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Your iPod isn't wrecking one of the rings on the connector by any chance is it? If it's always the left speaker (which I believe is top-ring on stereo 3mm inputs), it could indeed be your iPod wrecking it.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

My sister's iPod is a earphone killing machine, went through 2 earphones (One of which I used for 2 years on my PSP with no trouble) in less than 2 months.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raze Azrael
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

>.> i've gone through 3... and its the left side that dies for me too.
    only ones that still work are the ones it came with but those are uncomfortable...

my 80 gig video kills the shit out of earbuds, i just buy multipacks at walmart (5 sets for 12.95) and keep them in my car >B|

I'm just gonna rip all my stuff from my iPod and get a Zune. As much as I enjoy my iPod, it's getting annoying now.

I don't care, make something up!
    BG Level

I'm not sure if there's a fix for it but this site is very knowledgeable on the topic: Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Powered by vBulletin

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

If it's always the left side, check the pins on the 3.5mm connector for corrosion or something; sounds like the left stereo connector pinout is causing some kind of problem. If it's not corrosion it may be overvoltage to that pin, which you'd have to talk to apple to see about repair/replacement of the ipod itself if that's the case.

I doubt the warranty for this thing is still good.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    I doubt the warranty for this thing is still good.
    Obviously, everything starts breaking the day after the warranty ends

Been looking at Zune's all day. Holy fuck are they sexy looking. You can get cool designs engraved on the back by LASERS. Fuck yeah. Plus the wallpaper thing is sweet.

Sorry, sort of noob question here...How exactly do you rip the songs off your ipod Kiro? I really have no idea at all.

Google SharePod & download. You just check off the songs you want and click "Copy to PC" or "Rip to PC" or whatever the button says.

Alternatively, you can open up your ipod in windows (I believe you may have to check the "use iPod as hard drive" option in iTunes, but you might not need to.) Make sure you have windows set to show hidden files and folders, and you can just directly copy and paste the music from the music directory in the ipod_control folder. All your music is saved to the ipod as a four letter combination, so the filesnames are not preserved. ID3 tags are though, so they would show up normally in iTunes.