#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

What in the fuck is going on with Ancient Currency prices?

Bronzepieces are 12-14k(up from 9k) each, Whiteshells 10-12k(up from 8k) each, Bills for 8-9k(up from 5-6k)?

The hell is everything shooting up for?

New Merits
    BG Level

My unfounded hypothesis:

A portion of the playerbase was sitting on a decent amount of cash (or possibly alexandrite), pondering a Mythic weapon. As information comes available, and their chosen Mythic weapon is less desirable than the ROTZ relic, they finally moved to purchasing ancient currency (after liquidating alexandrite).

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

somehow when dynamis became cheaper, currency climbed in price, maybe allot of people thought that dynamis cheaper = buy gil buy currency get relic, and the new demand has driven prices through the roof

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

I'm pretty sure Avarice is talking about the recent price hikes. On Hades, a little bit before the New Years, Sandy currency was going for like 7k per, now they are at 10k a piece. And I'm seeing a lot more Alexandrite being bazaar'd than usual, so its entirely possible it's the Mythic weapon thing.

Claustrum. Really?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaith Laqueus
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Pretty much the same has happened on Asura maybe not as suddenly and drastic though. I know I personally haven't touched any currency since early December-ish because the prices have gone from mildly stupid but somewhat affordable to ridiculous.

Used to be able to get Bynes for 5k, Whiteshells 7k and Bronze 8k ish a couple of months back. Granted these weren't rolmart prices but you could get them at these prices if you knew who to talk to. Those all went up by 1-2k in November-ish.

Now you look at Rolmart and it's 7-8k for Byne, 10-11k for shells, 11-12k Bronze. Can get a bit cheaper elsewhere but it has kinda shot up. I put it down to people switching from Mythics to Relics.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
    Bronzepieces are 12-14k(up from 9k) each, Whiteshells 10-12k(up from 8k) each, Bills for 8-9k(up from 5-6k)?

The hell is everything shooting up for?
    lol, you're on fairy too?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

basically it was two things (each of which were mentioned above).

first, the completion of mythic destroyed the vast majority of its appeal. a lot of the people who had the money to do either relic or mythic had invested a great deal (and were planning to invest future gil) for alexandrite. once people knew the actual mechanics, you had a lot of these guys simply say "ok, mythic sucks, time to go for relic." as a result of that, demand for currency went up like crazy.

second, the dynamis hourglass price cut absolutely KILLED it for people who were reasonably wealthy and could afford to buy lots of coins. it wasn't necessarily that 500k was a massive change in price, but it changed the mindset of a whole slew of people that couldn't originally afford to do relic. cause of that, there are tons more people who really can't afford to do it, but are under the illusion that upgrading suddenly became easy with the price cut. furthermore, you don't have twice as many dynamis shells running. i mean, there's definitely more pickup groups going, but the supply isn't twice as much as it used to be. so while supply went up a fair amount, demand skyrocketed, and that's pretty much why prices are what they are now.

add it all together and you can see why it kinda sucks to buy coins right now, and i'm not sure that there will be any relief in sight.

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    lol, you're on fairy too?
    I wish!

Sadly no, I'm on the drama server AKA Cerberus.

I have a feeling a lot more people are also doing CoP dynamises.

That means more -1, which require ancient currency for upgrading.

;;;;
    I know what you mean. Lots of people are working on relics atm, especially JPs. I see shouts from the same 9-10JPs in whitegate everyday, looking to buy currency. Then there are dumbasses like yassin and me who are working on our last stage and will pay any price for a bronzepiece, lol.

This is bahamut server, btw. I don't know what caused it, but my guess is that the lowered currency prices are catching up to us now. Everyone who started their relics due that hourglass pricecut. We're all trying to finish them at once, heh.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's like everyone's already said, cut prices didn't mean more Dynamis runs and everyone's doing CoP instead. There's at least one shell on Asura that practically only does Tavnazia, my own group does Tav until we desperately need gil and then it's like 1 city or Beauc and then back to four or five Tavnazias. You can imagine how much currency we get. On the other hand the upgraders who do have the priviledge of sponsoring a city/ice group can make 400-800+ currency per week for 500k from one Dynamis run and then sell the types they do not need for a nice profit that enables them to both keep sponsoring and then buy the other types they do need. And you bet these sellers are not going to be in a hurry to discount their prices.

Also, you need to look past bazaars and shouts and get to know the right people, some established Dynamis groups do sell currency for slightly cheaper than what is considered "market price" but yeah.. you really need to know the right people and they need to know you.

1) People moved to cop dynamis since the gear is good and the price&time is low.
    2) Sponsoring dynamis is now really cheap -> less supply.
    3) People do more Northlands -> less supply.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

On Bismark bynes are at 8k, whites are at about 12k and silvers are at 14k Shit's pretty stupid. And ancient beastcoins are overpriced here too.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I think at least some of it too is that when gaiters/sandworm/ixion/cerb all pay off for a linkshell in a week what does 200K matter tagged onto a silverpiece price? Over that last 6 months it has gotten a) easier for sponsorers b) easier/break even for ls upgraded from money drops c) downright impossible for self funded paying rolanberry prices.

Plus, what is there left to buy after 5 years? At this point I know 40% of my /flist are upgrading just to validate the time they've put in over the years.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

1. cheaper dynamis = more "omg i want a relic mum" people

2. then more people buy currency(Ifrit have 24/7 shouts from at least 4-5 diff people)

3. then everyone stuck at stage 3 or 4 and needed the currency more badly than before = price rise

4. then people cant get them even at those price. If they can get, good for them, if not, they wont buy and the overpriced bazzar is still there.

5. loop 1. to 4. about 10000 times

This statement will become true:
    Bronzepieces are 12-14k(up from 9k) each, Whiteshells 10-12k(up from 8k) each, Bills for 8-9k(up from 5-6k)

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I did Relic just before the Dynamis Update.

...and the same people that pointed their fingers at me and laughed for buying 8k Bronze back then are buying them for 9.5k nowadays.

Was really a golden time back then thinking about to it. Lots of supply because other people were holding back buying. Also lots of people selling currency with the thought of "sell it fast before it goes way down soon"

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

the increased AF drop rate made more people do northlands/cop (instead of cities) which drop less currency

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

The recent increase is totally that people have realized how much BS is involved in getting mythics and the general disappointment in the power of mythics. The price had been fairly stable up until a short time ago.

It's been too long of a time for the entry price change to really have an impact this late after it came out.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

imo,
    Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    second, the dynamis hourglass price cut absolutely KILLED it for people who were reasonably wealthy and could afford to buy lots of coins. it wasn't necessarily that 500k was a massive change in price, but it changed the mindset of a whole slew of people that couldn't originally afford to do relic. cause of that, there are tons more people who really can't afford to do it, but are under the illusion that upgrading suddenly became easy with the price cut. furthermore, you don't have twice as many dynamis shells running. i mean, there's definitely more pickup groups going, but the supply isn't twice as much as it used to be. so while supply went up a fair amount, demand skyrocketed, and that's pretty much why prices are what they are now.
    I'd say this combined with grifters. Currency grifters (people that buy at reasonable prices and resell at a higher price to make money off the impatient / retarded) already existed before the glass price change, it's just that the sea change, as described in the quote above, ate up the normal supply. So now the grifters become more apparent and every one else starts adjusting their prices to match. Now people are stuck shouting and competing for customers, causing similar price increases.

At least on some servers, the currency prices had already jumped well before the first mythic so I'm not inclined to totally agree with this theory, but I do think it may have played a part.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

On Quetz the jumps were certainly after the first Mythics. I know there was a lot of hype about the Mythics before which is gone now that the effects are understood. I know a number of people that were saving to upgrade mythics, have abandoned them and are putting that effort back in to Dynamis Relics. Mythics were on the boards for a while too, so even though people were only saving Alex for a short time, they had been saving gil for a lot longer.

Some of the Dynamis relics hare becoming more fashionable now too, Excalibur in particular.