+ Reply to Thread

Question About Overclocking

It's me with another question.

Anyway, I'm curious about overclocking. I got the Nvidia nTune program but I don't want to just randomly start adjusting shit and have my computer blow up.

Here is my exact computer:

Gateway FX541S
    Graphics Support: Dual PCI Express x16
    Maximum Memory: 8192MB
    Slots: 4 (2 banks of 2)
    Standard Memory: 3072MB removable
    USB Support: 2.x Compliant
    Chipset: nVidia nForce 680i LT

It's processor is Core 2 Quad, Q6600 at 2.40 GHz. I currently have 3 Gigs of RAM, and my graphics card is an Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 MB....it says on the box that it's "superclocked". No idea what that means.

The OS is Windows Vista 32-bit.

Not sure how relevant any of that info is, but I figured I would offer it.

Here is a couple pics of the nTune program, and what it's set at now
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...vidiastuff.png
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f4...idiastuff2.png

Thanks for any info you give me.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Superclocked is just a fancy "sales" term for overclocked. Your card is already overclocked.

For future reference, nTune and other OC programs that run in windows are highly inaccurate and you run the risk of doing damage to your computer. It's better to overclock directly from BIOS, where you can edge up the clock speed, voltage, and other settings ever so gradually to find the best setup for your specific system. I say for future reference because chances are you won't be able to really overclock at all--despite the Q6600 being capable of overclocks reaching 3.2 GHz without a sweat, Dell usually installs a BIOS in its prebuilt machines that denies the end user access to those settings, and since you can't modify those, it drastically limits what you can do with programs like nTune. I just went through the whole rigmarole of trying to overclock my Dell XPS, and I found out the hard way that you can't modify those settings in a Dell BIOS. In my case, this prevented me from accessing those settings even with nTune, so I was limited to an overclock of maybe 2.65 GHz without causing complete system instability.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

How much of a performance increase can I expect to see via overclocking?

I guess one of the big points is taking like 3.0ghz and pushing to 3.5+, is it really running like a stock 3.5? Pretty noticable? I've just been busy lately and am expecting overclocking my system to be time consuming, I wanna make sure it's really beneficial.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstaru View Post
    For future reference, nTune and other OC programs that run in windows are highly inaccurate and you run the risk of doing damage to your computer. It's better to overclock directly from BIOS, where you can edge up the clock speed, voltage, and other settings ever so gradually to find the best setup for your specific system
    This, this, a thousand times this. Don't use the garbage that is Ntune at all, ever. You won't like the results. Do all your overclocking from the BIOS, and gradually inch up and test to the point where you get a balance of stability and lowest possible heat generation.

As for how much of a performance gain you'll see, like anything else it depends on your overall system. If you have a great graphics card but a underclocked processor, increasing the speed will give you a noticeable gain because oftentimes high-end cards are limited by the processor.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

gateway motherboards (most OEMs actually) typically have overclocking locked

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by levish View Post
    ^this

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by levish View Post
    Unfortunately this is true.. there's methods to get around it that are tricky and dangerous and that will absolutely void your warranty, like flashing your BIOS to something non-Gateway. But then again it could be something as simple as a unmarked jumper on your motherboard.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

When did ntune allow you to adjust the clock speed of your system components (cpu, memory)? is this an option if you're running an nvidia chipset on your motherboard?

as far as overclocking your videocard, it's totally safe within windows, infact is the only way to adjust clock speeds on videocards unless you physically alter the default settings in the bios on the videocard, which generally isn't recommended

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

heh, post didnt go through on work toughbook... crappy ass thing.

Anyway;

I have a pretty pro system currently, 3.2ghz c2duo 4870X2 rampage mobo and I guess I'd see a noticeable increase in performance? I just want to make sure it's worth the time and frustration that is sure to ensue from oc'ing it.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

That's the E8600 you have then? I have the E8400 (base 3.0ghz) so we're fairly close. OC'ing to say.. 3.66 you wouldn't notice the speed too much, while for me it was a good start. I'd guess you'd notice a good performance boost at about 3.8 or so.

BTW I hear the Rampage mobo is a beast.. good shit!

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I got it with the intent to OC it and I heard that it should be a beast after doing so. Guess we'll see, since it's pretty much designed for it.