BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

RDM/WHM vs RDM/SCH as healer in bird camp

I don't see what /WHM has to offer a RDM in nyzul bird camp yet most RDM choose to sub it. Even /BLM seems better. At least /SCH gives Conserve MP,Regen 2,-10% cast time/mp cost on cures/hastes. Not to mention Penury/Alacrity and Dark Arts Aspir.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Erase for when someone accidently gets hit by elegy.

Formerly Raitoken
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

DS+Cure4 after vert is nice, saves a bit of mp, but so does conserve mp.

I like /blm for warp and since most RDM including myself have convert merits it sometimes doesn't bode well with DS recast >.>

I dunno, sounds to me like I need to level SCH

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I hate when RDMs don't sub WHM in merits, unless you have another BRD/WHM or COR/WHM in your party. Erase is needed for exping, people WILL get hit with elegy eventually, and there's no excuse to not be able to remove it.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Silvermoon

erase for elegy+ curaga, why would you want to complicate shit when birds are easy mode anyway

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Most chose to sub it because they dont have /sch.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Raitoken View Post
    DS+Cure4 after vert is nice
    I don't know why but I hate people who do this. I use /sch a lot at bird camp and it does have some nice points but honestly I seem to almost run out of mp faster as /sch if someone manages to get hit by elegy and have their timers raped and from the lack of curaga. Oh also RR is nice, not like you need to use it but not having it after running so many events makes me feel like something is missing from my buff bar.

@OP any rdm who shows up /blm to birds probably doesn't have the sub leveled and doesn't care to level up on of the most useful sub in a party situation.

The spell reduction from arts isn't that great since we have fasty cast 3 + af1 hat at least +af2 body (possibly) + loc earring so you dont really notice the spell casting time - on LA/DA.

Also unless you time the drain/aspirs right (which most people don't) the bird will just cast back on you.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

On the note of Elegy: I try and promote the use of Threnody over Elegy. Works just as well, has the same range, and there aren't any negative side effects from Threnody being on someone. Honestly the birds die so quickly that the lack of slow on the bird has never been an issue.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Haven't played bard in a long time but IIRC threnody lags the brd by half a sec after singing before he can start running.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by zard1977 View Post
    Haven't played bard in a long time but IIRC threnody lags the brd by half a sec after singing before he can start running.
    Yeah I was about to say this. BRD cant move at all until the animation from threnody is done. But you can easily fix this to make your macro have you change equipment before the song goes off.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I've actually never had or noticed that issue. I don't think that I blink out after songs, maybe it's just something that has never hindered me. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Skirkle View Post
    On the note of Elegy: I try and promote the use of Threnody over Elegy. Works just as well, has the same range, and there aren't any negative side effects from Threnody being on someone. Honestly the birds die so quickly that the lack of slow on the bird has never been an issue.
    Mamoolbane - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura View Post
    Please, more bards get this....

As for the debate, I think Erase is too useful but I could certainly see the argument for Regen II as well (begged for it for 4 years on RDM main)

I think it might be possible that shit is, yet again, situational. I think I have to sit on the side of Erase tbh, at least for most situations.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Each time I get there as Rdm, I regret not having /nin actually.

Either because some asshat will shortly come and camp on top of us ; So I assist pulling with Blind and Sleep.

Or your pt's puller often comes back with 2 or 3 birds, so you Sleep them, and pray that Blink will indead absorb the reflected spells.

As for /whm /sch or /blm, I'd say /blm if you need to cap out Dark skill, or you're too lazy to bring a Warp tool.
    If you badly need /sch over /whm, then tell your melees to actually come /nin, or pay attention, or buy Shihei, or whatever, but it shouldn"t be mandatory.

Edit : as for Poisoning or Diaing a bird to avoid being slept, I find that pretty inconvenient actually : You can't cast the Dot on the slept birds obviously, so you have to cast onto the one your pt is curently fighting, odds are high that it will be reflected on somebody other than you. Besides, waking up from sleep requires to drop Stoneskin, and it may not be the smater move when you have 1 or 2 birds waking and pounding on you.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura View Post
    For the love of gods, yes. Recently capped my char and started meritting on gf's bard, and lamia(troll/mamool)bane is absolutely the best thing to pull with. 25 range is great for pulling from the "other" camp, saves you a few steps, and the bird doesn't do that annoying pause while it learns the spell.

A good party at birds (30k an hour) should be clearing all birds and wivre and thus erase is pretty vital. We normally roll with cor and rdm so that gives our melee 2 erases.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I guess I've just gotten used to working with elegy and I don't think I'd like pulling as much without it. I don't sleep birds in a good merit pt and that little pause of it not smacking me while it tries to cast the spell on me is nice. Helps save shadows a bit.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Falisa View Post
    I guess I've just gotten used to working with elegy and I don't think I'd like pulling as much without it. I don't sleep birds in a good merit pt and that little pause of it not smacking me while it tries to cast the spell on me is nice. Helps save shadows a bit.
    Yeah, I also prefer elegy. Another added bonus is the actual function of elegy, saves more shadows if you don't sleep it since the previous mob is at 20% or so, can just blink tank it. There isnt always a war around :/

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Mostly a WHM so a biased viewpoint probably but I'd miss curaga. In fact I miss curaga constantly on SCH even though I can burn a charge fast enough. Erase is really nice to have because even the best brd can be caught by an unlucky pop and lose shadows in time to eat an elegy.

I don't really understand the appeal of /SCH for a RDM. Not trying to be bitchy, just don't get it. Please explain!

RDM already has fast cast, have refresh which doesn't stack with sub, don't generally have MP issues so whilst the cost reduction is nice, RDM is the job that benefits least isn't it? I suppose regen II is nice but not sure it's worth it at the cost of erase.

My RDM is only 65. I merit on WHM/SCH and have no MP issues or BRD.

Banned.

BG Level

if all dd are /nin, then i use /blm, for conserve mp, warp, and sometimes aspir (gogo blink). if i had /sch leveled, then i'd certainly use that.

honestly, there isn't really any excuse for getting hit with elegy. before i had rdm leveled, i used nin for all my meriting, and by the time i finished all the merits i needed (admittedly nin doesn't need all that many merits, but still), i don't think i ever got hit with elegy. not once. if anyone with /nin gets hit with elegy, honestly, i'd rather take the slower kills for a few mins, and keep it on them anyway. maybe they'll learn to keep shadows up after the first or second time it happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast