+ Reply to Thread

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Just dropped a memory stick + reader in the dog water bowl. Is it dead? lol

On medication atm so I'm kind of clutzy. Anyways I dropped our new Memory Stick Pro Duo and Sandisk USB card reader in the dog water bowl. It was in there for at least a second. (Nothing was on the drive important, so I'm good there).

Anyways I'm right now in the process of drying both of them off. I have them sitting in front of a miniheater propped-up and the dehumidifier near it running.

What are the chances it will still work? It looks as if no water got in the Memory stick Pro Duo since it looks like a very tight fit housing. But I know for sure water got into the reader.

Images of the items for reference.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

They are both almost certainly fine, as long as they're both completely dry when you use them again. I would wait maybe 48 hours just to be on the safe side. You want absolutely no condensation of any kind inside either one, and there's no drawback in waiting. Let them sit for a couple days just to be sure, and you should be good to go.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Is there a reason to why they would be okay. Like I'm semi-literate when it comes to electronics. Like do memory sticks/readers/etc. not have any type of electrical charge which can cause them to zap?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Nah, not really. If the reader was plugged in and has power going to it, then there might be some cause for concern, but both devices are just chips on a circuit board. Just make sure you wait a couple days and you should be fine.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Awesome, thanks alot.

Yeah, I'd bet they'll be okay as long as you're patient enough. Be careful not to be too aggressive with your drying methods, better to wait longer than melt them.

A good method is to douse them in alcohol- swish it around and such, rinse it with it if you can. It'll rinse off the water, and alcohol evaporates very very rapidly. Will take your drying time from days to maybe 10 minutes.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Just ran it in front of the dehumidifier and small heater for a few hours, and plugged it into the PC. Pictures and everything are running fine, and it works just like it did before the incident lol.

I guess these are alot more durable than I had thought.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I've known people to put their keyboards through the dishwasher to clean them. The damage is done when there is power in the circuit and it shorts out. No power, no problem! Just make sure it's really dry and no condensation before using ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    I've known people to put their keyboards through the dishwasher to clean them. The damage is done when there is power in the circuit and it shorts out. No power, no problem! Just make sure it's really dry and no condensation before using ;D
    That's a great idea, might actually get my dishwasher repaired.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

lol, coulden't that damage the circuitry or something? I thought dishwashers get up in the 100 degree+ range sometimes? Or do you mean like on a low/warm setting? I've never had one before.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My USB thumbdrive took a trip through the washer and dryer. Was still a lil wet from dryer gave it a couple days and still worked like new, with original data. Smells nice now too lol