Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: LM-17     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    Microsoft fucks up at programming security all the time. Does that make it okay for hackers to go around and jack other people's credit card numbers and ruin their credit scores because of a bad programmer?

No one in their right mind is going to buy the "It MS's fault" line or "You should have used a different Program/Operating System" line from the hacker when he jacks your credit card number. Because he is at fault for abusing the loophole even if he didn't create it.

There is ample enough evidence that the SE programmers leave much to be desired. But being given the opportunity to do something does not mean it is legitimate for you to do it. The exploit was there, that doesn't mean you were supposed to use it or were justified in using it.

You could have reported it and gotten it patched however much sooner. You made the conscious decision to exploit the bug (or partake in a shell/runs that made use of the bug). You had free will, you made a decision, now it's time to accept the consequences.
    That is a pretty big difference there. We didn't steal credit card info >_>

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

LM-11 appears to be perma ban, I think LM-17 is temp.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/5415/bannedro8.jpg

pretty sure their call centre is just retarded (its a call centre after all)

as i was telling a good friend of mine, this would have been awesome to pull on april 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferien View Post
    Guess it had to happen eventually. Any way to tell based on the code if it's perma or temp? Hoping they didn't dole them out based on whether or not you were pt leader, though that's probably exactly what they did...
    LM-11 reads 'account closed', LM-17 reads 'account temporarily suspended' or something like that. However, I've had 5 suspensions that read LM-17, one ban that read LM-11, and one ban that read LM-17.. the only difference between the LM-17 ban and the LM-11 was that for the LM-17, they said it was a 10 day suspension and review for ban(months later, it still read LM-17, they did not change it to LM-11). I don't think it's possible to tell if it's a suspension or ban from LM-17 without asking SE, but a LM-11 is definitely a ban. inb4 shitstorm of harassment about my bans, idc

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rith Ridan
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Azjol-Nerub

Quote Originally Posted by Nattack View Post
    damn, and i was wondering what mijin gakure did.

but i dont think its what you did, I think its where you did it.
    how much gil was "reproduced" in this act, you wonder?
    I don't think any gil was produced by this glitch, it's more like items of great value were produced so more gil moved between accounts/characters. Unless that is what you meant in the first place.

I also think it wouldve been more justifiable to just take away what people gained through duping.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

When does the US POL Call center thing open up? any1?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by rithridan View Post
    I don't think any gil was produced by this glitch, it's more like items of great value were produced so more gil moved between accounts/characters. Unless that is what you meant in the first place.
    yes i did

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hapernack View Post
    THEY fucked up... so its OUR fault.
    I'm not taking any sides, because I can see the arument from both parties. I didn't know about the exploit yet I have a ton of completed Salvage pieces, so I'm not butthurt about this situation and trying to make a fuss. However, you honestly can't say you're not surprised about what they did, which slightly pissed me off.

Yes, SE let a glitch through allowing players to do this, but it was unintentional. Yes, the programmers or testers messed up, but it IS your fault for doing it knowing it wasn't legit, and taking part in it. It's their game you're playing and you were doin it wrong.

Programmers aren't perfect, nor are testers. Testing something like FFXI is notorious, the amount of faults every version update brings with tight release schedules and time constraints is obvious proof of this.

In the end, you can't sit there innocently expecting sympathy from people when you used this glitch knowing it unfair to legit players out there, then passing the buck onto SE because you got punished for it.

Ok I lied, I totally take SE's side.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Pawky View Post
    When does the US POL Call center thing open up? any1?
    opens at 9am PST, holding my breath until then =D

terraflarex

SE: Boom! Head Shot/Killing Spree

I'm surprised they perma'd people, I just figured they'd toss out a bunch of 48/72 hr bans on people who used this little trick.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Buttons Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I'm not gonna get into the argument about wether exploiting the glitch merits getting a perma ban or not, I just feel sorry for the people who got banned. ;_; Hope its only temp bans for some. (especially the cool Tarus >.>)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

Quote Originally Posted by terraflarex View Post
    SE: Boom! Head Shot/Killing Spree

I'm surprised they perma'd people, I just figured they'd toss out a bunch of 48/72 hr bans on people who used this little trick.
    M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I just checked my ffxi manual, says the us call center is open 8am-12pm and 1pm-5pm pacific.

Also, people think that when they get a LM-17 and come back 72 hours later when the ban expires, they are home free. That is simply not the case. When an account is LM-17'd it becomes a 'one-striker'. That basically means one more strike and you're out. So anyone who only got a temp ban will have to be very careful when they resume playing.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Veyron Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

M-m-m-m-m-m-m-monster killllllllllll

Edit: fuck you Colenzo, beaten

Every day I'm wafflin'
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Lmao @ people saying it would be stupid of SE to perma ban people. Sure it's flawed design, but did you have to dupe items? No, so those of you banned are just as guilty and deserving of it, because it may be a flawed mechanic, but you could have easily reported instead of exploiting it. So it wouldn't be stupid of SE...it was stupid of those of you who exploited it thinking there would be no repercussions.
    A temp ban isn't a repercussion? Get some sense of perspective, please. I'm not at all pissed off that I was punished for duping in Salvage - it is an exploit after all, and SE can't show lenience when it comes to people exploiting game-breaking glitches. But the severity of the punishment is definitely way too harsh, assuming people like me with clean accounts really did get perma-banned (still some conflicting information about whether or not this is true).

Like I said before, they could have suspended our accounts instead, which would have been a huge deterrent from doing similar things in the future, and would have sent a message to other players that SE isn't prepared to tolerate this sort of thing. That would have been the smart thing to do. Instead they've gone and banned half of the endgame population, a lot of whom are some of their longest-paying and most loyal customers. The repercussions of that are that many more people who weren't banned will quit because their friends are gone. It's a completely retarded move.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

hmm... could go for a game of unreal tournament.

the old one. the good one.

the one with FireBR

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Oh dear god. This is going to interesting to watch unfold.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

So yeah, those saying it's SE's fault, it's two side:

SE Programmers/Tester left a bug in.

People who think they're above everyone else exploited it and saying SE shouldn't ban people for it even though they themselves know it was an unintentional bug. As for the MS/SE comparison..it's actually dead on because MS has a ton of bugs/flaws in IE and Windows, yet instead of ignoring it or reporting it so they can work on patching it, people exploit it and steal shit...what people did here was basically steal items, because duping items in MMOs = Producing items for YOUR gain, which is a flaw in programming.

So tl;dr: If you got banned, you deserved it. you are not a saint..you are not above anyone else...you chose to exploit a flaw instead of reporting it...you got banned be it temp or perma. End of story.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

Quote Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
    M-m-m-m-m-m-m-monster killllllllllll

Edit: fuck you Colenzo, beaten
    I still love you buddy :/ hope you didnt get perma'd lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Veyron Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yeah me too lol :/

FFXI is my anti-drug! SE is trying to get me to go out experiment with cocaine since I am banned; ; lolz

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 216 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast