Closed Thread
Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: LM-17     submit to reddit submit to twitter

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    A temp ban isn't a repercussion? Get some sense of perspective, please. I'm not at all pissed off that I was punished for duping in Salvage - it is an exploit after all, and SE can't show lenience when it comes to people exploiting game-breaking glitches. But the severity of the punishment is definitely way too harsh, assuming people like me with clean accounts really did get perma-banned (still some conflicting information about whether or not this is true).

Like I said before, they could have suspended our accounts instead, which would have been a huge deterrent from doing similar things in the future, and would have sent a message to other players that SE isn't prepared to tolerate this sort of thing. That would have been the smart thing to do. Instead they've gone and banned half of the endgame population, a lot of whom are some of their longest-paying and most loyal customers. The repercussions of that are that many more people who weren't banned will quit because their friends are gone. It's a completely retarded move.
    Quoting the best that will be said about this, and as someone else already said this is going to be interesting to watch unfold.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

remember when that BG mod was caught selling his account? and we all forgot about it?

oh right.

one death is a tragedy, a hundred is a statistic. we can laugh!

Am I offically the only one that got a warning letter only?

Its been 2hrs since ban start, and 1hr since my letter and I am still fine.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

omg everyone look out... the streets are going to be flooded with nerds!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

yeah, i've got 4 more bottles of rum and it's too fucking cold in kabul to go out anywhere. that, and people are blowing shit up again so going to the bazaar is sorta out. i was looking forward to my weekend holed up in my room fishing...

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by drwaffles View Post
    A temp ban isn't a repercussion? Get some sense of perspective, please. I'm not at all pissed off that I was punished for duping in Salvage - it is an exploit after all, and SE can't show lenience when it comes to people exploiting game-breaking glitches. But the severity of the punishment is definitely way too harsh, assuming people like me with clean accounts really did get perma-banned (still some conflicting information about whether or not this is true).

Like I said before, they could have suspended our accounts instead, which would have been a huge deterrent from doing similar things in the future, and would have sent a message to other players that SE isn't prepared to tolerate this sort of thing. That would have been the smart thing to do. Instead they've gone and banned half of the endgame population, a lot of whom are some of their longest-paying and most loyal customers. The repercussions of that are that many more people who weren't banned will quit because their friends are gone. It's a completely retarded move.
    My friend I have perspective. If you're one of the "Oh I only did it so many times I don't deserve to be perma banned because it was SE's fault and I just took advantage of it" people...who needs to really put things in perspective? Those of us who didn't/don't abuse exploits didn't get touched...because either we didn't know about it or we didn't want to use it.

See it would be understandable if this was a new exploit, but people are admitting its been around for more than a year...which is why they aren't showing lenience...if people were happy to use the exploit for a year, they're more than happy to take their perma bans with pride as well.

If people would quit because their exploiting friends got banned, that's not SE's fault...that's the friends fault for allowing their friends to cheat...and it's usually because they would benefit from that cheating as well.

I also got a letter like Stan, no ban of any sort. Lucky me.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

And what about the people who really did have no idea what was going on who got perma-banned?

That's fair?

I think SE has been nice, they let you enjoy your shiny salvage gears during 1 year !

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

lets not start up the moral high horse again.

seriously.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Colenzo View Post
    M-M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!!
    G-G-G-G-GOD LIKE!!!!

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    My friend I have perspective. If you're one of the "Oh I only did it so many times I don't deserve to be perma banned because it was SE's fault and I just took advantage of it" people...who needs to really put things in perspective? Those of us who didn't/don't abuse exploits didn't get touched...because either we didn't know about it or we didn't want to use it.

See it would be understandable if this was a new exploit, but people are admitting its been around for more than a year...which is why they aren't showing lenience...if people were happy to use the exploit for a year, they're more than happy to take their perma bans with pride as well.

If people would quit because their exploiting friends got banned, that's not SE's fault...that's the friends fault for allowing their friends to cheat...and it's usually because they would benefit from that cheating as well.
    i think a very small percentage of people were using it for more than a month or two. not saying in any way that that makes it right, i'm just throwing it out there for perspective

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I got the same letter as Stan but I did not use the exploit at all.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I think the reason that this mass banning of a particular exploit is so shitty is because of the fact that this is the first exploit that they have actually -banned- people over. How many other little "exploits" were found out then just cut off w/o banning people?

In a way though, we(as the playerbase) created this monster known as SE. When RMT ran rampant and we called for swifter and more decisive action they did so. Before you used to have a 3 strike rule, that has now changed to a 1 strike rule. We wanted this sort of punishment to happen to those who ruined the game (aka RMT), but this time the long time players got caught in the crossfire. I don't really understand why people with clean slates got perma on this, their first offense, but I think it was best put :

"Ok kill your child if he stole a candy from the store, don't refund the store or take away the candy gotcha.".

You win again SE....you win again....

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Well on one hand you may have the people that walk up to Lambton and say "Yeah let's dupe some ancient torques," but on the other hand you have the confused people who don't think anything of the alliance being broken and know nothing about the duping who also got banned just for being there. Did they deserve it? I know some linkshells that involved their members in duping without even bothering to share this little secret with them.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    That is a pretty big difference there. We didn't steal credit card info >_>
    My point is that you can't shift the blame off. Just because someone else creates an opportunity for you to do something, you aren't justified in doing it. Someone facilitating your wrong actions doesn't make them less wrong.

So you can blame the programmers for creating an opportunity, but SE is not punishing you because you created an exploit. You are being punished for the choice you made to *use* the exploit. You had the free will to do something different. And if you read the term of the TOS you should have known it was a bannable offense. So you totally deserve whatever they give you.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I have one question though.

Why such round numbers? are these approximate?

950 people total,

split into 400 temp and 550 perma.

so did 400 people EXACTLY commit this HORRIBLE CRIME?
    and did 550 people do something so unspeakable, we cant even mention it without fearing to get banned?

next time on who gives a shit

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I used duping once, got temp banned for it, i deserved that, so did all others, but perma seems over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Nattack View Post
    I have one question though.

Why such round numbers? are these approximate?

950 people total,

split into 400 temp and 550 perma.

so did 400 people EXACTLY commit this HORRIBLE CRIME?
    and did 550 people do something so unspeakable, we cant even mention it without fearing to get banned?

next time on who gives a shit
    I have a feeling it was more.. and they picked a chunk of each and gave the rest letters.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Rainesong View Post
    i think a very small percentage of people were using it for more than a month or two. not saying in any way that that makes it right, i'm just throwing it out there for perspective
    Actually..it's more like the people who were using it didn't admit how long they were actually using it till it was close to being patched, they could have used it from the get go for all anyone knows.

Also people who got hit that didn't physically do the duping themselves, couldn't you warp out of Salvage instead of continuing the run? Ever heard of guilty by association?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 216 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 ... LastLast