Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Reduction in EXP Loss with Angel Lyre and Hymnus

Ever since I've gotten my Angel Lyre, I haven't gotten the EXP reduction to work on Hymnus. Here's my emergency Hymnus macro:

/ja "Pianissimo" <me>
    /equip Range "Angel Lyre"
    /equip Ear1 "Minstrel's Earring"
    /equip Ring2 "Minstrel's Ring"
    /wait 1
    /ma "Goddess's Hymnus" <me>

The Pianissimo is for when I'm around a bunch of other people, and I'm the only one dying. I don't want to erase their songs. In case I do want to hit everyone, I have another macro next to it without the Pianissimo.

In any case, I've used this macro a few times, and every time I've reraised, I've eaten the full R1 penalty. With this setup, I have the Lyre equipped before singing the song and at its completion. And when I've died, I had the Lyre on when I Reraised. I really don't know what the problem could be other than Pianissimo negates the effects of instruments.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Never heard about penalty reduction...I always thought it was duration (and it probably is).

I was pretty sure it gave a cut to exp loss, maybe they broke it or ninja-changed it in a patch. Try without pianissimo or anything to test if it works?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Was pretty sure the "Hymnus +" was just duration extention. FFXI isn't consistent in their item text.

failwiki says it lowers exp, go test w/o pianissimo or anything if it matters that much to you.. not like brd exp is hard to get

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

just did it w/o pianissimo and lost 1.2k

wiki updated

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Has that been changed then? I sware I only used to lose 1k exp when I used Lyre+Hymnus... that sucks.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

AFAIK, Hymnus has always been a 1.2k loss, which used to be like a RR1.5. But they changed R1's EXP loss back in some update and they changed it to match Hymnus.

Lyre only effects duration, and always has in my experience. Though it would be amusing if Hymnus was effected by singing + string in tier like many other buffs, capping at RR2 with a modest skill set above the 75 Cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones View Post
    Though it would be amusing if Hymnus was effected by singing + string in tier like many other buffs, capping at RR2 with a modest skill set above the 75 Cap.
    String skill is known to improve buffs now? From Bard guides that I read while leveling the job, I was under the impression that Wind Skill was added to Singing for buff strength and debuff accuracy; and String Skill was added to Singing for song range.

Each song seems to have it's own rules for tiers. March= singing+wind for tiers, min is highest skill (sing or wind) for determining its tier (goes up 1 every 10 skill past 230). It may be possible but i would highly doubt it.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

Jones is correct, Hymnus has always been 1.2k loss even before R1 was, regardless of instrument.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by astura View Post
    Each song seems to have it's own rules for tiers. March= singing+wind for tiers, min is highest skill (sing or wind) for determining its tier (goes up 1 every 10 skill past 230). It may be possible but i would highly doubt it.
    that's definitely not true.

min4:

230+230: +54 atk
    238+230= +55
    242+230= +56
    238+235= +56

all songs are based on combined skill.

Ashira

it's based on combined skill of whatever instrument you're playing the song with. If you only sing, it's only singing skill.