Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

93 year old frozen to death over $1000

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/04/fre...olo/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by CNN

(CNN) -- A 93-year-old World War II medic who froze to death last month in his Bay City, Michigan, home left his entire estate to a local hospital, an estate attorney told CNN Wednesday.

The attorney would not disclose the exact amount left behind by Martin Schur. But his nephew said his uncle indicated to family members two years ago that he had saved up more than a half-million dollars over the years. Schur and his wife, Marian, who died more than a year ago, did not have any children.

"I just know at one time he said he had over $600,000 in savings," said William Walworth. "That's what he told me and my brother, and he was proud that he was able to save and build his estate up to that."

Cathy Reder, an attorney negotiating on behalf of Bay Regional Medical Center and the Schur family, said she was filing paperwork in probate court Wednesday for the court to determine the validity of the will. A hearing has been set for March 17.

Reder would not specify the amount left to the hospital, other than to say it's more than $1.

"The will leaves everything to Bay Medical Center," she said.

The hospital had no immediate comment.

Walworth said his uncle was a frugal man who hadn't eaten at a restaurant for over 30 years. "He was very tight, and he was very frugal. But he did manage to save a lot of money."

He said it's possible his uncle's estate could be less than $600,000, but he believes it's still "sizable."

"Knowing my uncle, that's him," Walworth said. "He loved his community. He loved Bay City, Michigan."

He added, "Hopefully his death is not in vain and we can learn from this, and he's still able to save lives. ... He was a very unique, special person in my life. I'm proud of what he was able to do in his life."

He said he hopes his uncle's message will spur others to "look out for their neighbor."

The size of the estate -- if it's as large as the nephew believes -- adds another tragic twist to Schur's death. The power company limited his electricity because he owed about $1,000. Video Watch neighbor say the death is "unforgivable" »

Schur's death last month shocked Bay City, a town of about 37,000 on Lake Huron's Saginaw Bay.

The World War II veteran's frozen body was found in his home January 17, just four days after a device that regulates how much power he uses -- installed because of failure to pay -- shut off his power. A medical examiner said the temperature was 32 degrees in the house when Schur's body was found.

The medical examiner told The Bay City Times that Schur died a "slow, painful death." "It's not easy to die from hypothermia without first realizing your fingers and toes feel like they're burning," Dr. Kanu Virani told the paper.

The Michigan State Police launched an investigation into Schur's death for possible criminal violations. "We have to do everything we can to make sure this doesn't happen again, whether it's Bay City or in any one of the cold weather states," Bay City Mayor Charles Brunner said last week.

The death has prompted a review of Bay City Electric Light & Power's rules and procedures for limiting or cutting off power. It also resulted in Bay City residents protesting Monday to the city about its handling of the whole situation.

A neighbor who lives down the street called Schur's death "unforgivable."

"This can't be allowed to happen in this country," said Jerome Anderson.

Walworth said he believes his uncle's death was "preventable."

"It should never have happened. It's a tragic loss," he said. "I had a lot of fond memories of my uncle, and that's the type of memory I don't want to have: Him freezing to death."

Utility officials said Schur owed about $1,000 resulting in a "limiter" being put on his home. Limiters are devices that cut power as a warning for people who haven't paid their bills. Limiters can be reset to restore a lesser degree of power until a bill payment is worked out. In Schur's case, the limiter was never reset, and it's unclear whether he knew how to do that.

Schur had been living alone since his wife died, Walworth said.

Unlike private utilities regulated by the state, Bay City runs and oversees its own utilities and therefore doesn't fall under Michigan's public service commission. By law, Michigan requires private companies to prohibit cutting off service to senior citizens between November and April. Seniors must register for the program.

The city has begun questioning whether its rules and procedures for limiting or cutting off power need a major overhaul. The utility has stopped its practice of cutting power to customers who don't pay their bills.

The utility also has removed all "limiters" on homes.

Walworth said someone should have looked at Schur's payment history and made direct contact to see whether something was wrong. He's hoping the nation will learn from his uncle's death.

"Hopefully, some good can come out of this. I'm still an optimist."

Pretty sad. If the guy has been paying his bills the entire time and just missed the electric bill once or twice, not sure why they didn't call him first.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Man I saw that shit on GMA and they electric company's response at the time was "Yeah well, he should have paid. If you don't pay we disconnect your service". I mean absolute douche style and were completely unapologetic.

Funny how the word is out and they are doing nothing but back pedaling.

Edit: Clear case of Darwinism.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill.
    WWII Veteran Freezes To Death In Own Home - News Story - WNEM Saginaw
    so sad.

Daddy Warbucks
    BG Level

How could a company be so cold...

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    How could a company be so cold...
    loool wow....

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

That's pretty ridiculous. For the elderly, the worst months of the year are the dead of winter and the dog days of summer. If you must turn their power off, do it in the early fall or spring, ok, when temperatures are in the lower 50s at night.

WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

BG Level

Maybe the guy should have just paid his bill on time? I mean really, if had that much cash laying around to leave to the hospital, I don't think paying his bills should be neglected. Charity's good and all, but not paying bills for electricity is theft.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadyMan View Post
    Maybe the guy should have just paid his bill on time? I mean really, if had that much cash laying around to leave to the hospital, I don't think paying his bills should be neglected. Charity's good and all, but not paying bills for electricity is theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton View Post
    Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill.WWII Veteran Freezes To Death In Own Home - News Story - WNEM Saginaw
    so sad.
    This, I assume.

Oh well. No action will be taken against the company anyway. Let's get in a multiple page arguement over it though, we've got nothing better to do!

wheres your avatar from and why is he slapping a rubber dong on the table?

WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

BG Level

But that's the thing. You don't rack up 1k in energy bills overnight. I'm pretty sure the article said he was a couple of months overdue on payment.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

I don't know if it's a state law or just common sense, but the utility companies around here (northeast Wisconsin) will NOT disconnect your power during the winter months regardless of how much you owe. Apparently they realize that living customers are more likely to consume electricity (and eventually pay) in the months that follow.

Who the fuck racks up a grand in electric bills in a few MONTHS? I've never broken $200 and I've had multiple computers and other random shit running from weeks at a time. That's stupid.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Old news....

My take..... dont shut off electricity in winter months... simple as that

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Who the fuck racks up a grand in electric bills in a few MONTHS? I've never broken $200 and I've had multiple computers and other random shit running from weeks at a time. That's stupid.
    Damn how big is your house? Mine gets between 500-700 a month and I'm stuck in a three bed

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Ermac View Post
    Old news....

My take..... dont shut off electricity in winter months... simple as that
    ^ this is kinda of a null statement.

What about 110 temps in the summer time? No A/C usually does the same thing to elders.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadyMan View Post
    Maybe the guy should have just paid his bill on time?
    yea, are we meant to feel sorry for him? How about I go and do my shopping at the local store because I need the food to live, but walk out and not pay them. It's ok though, I have the money at home on my table. l'll pay in the spring.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

ITT: People ignore the part where they actually killed him.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The electric company didn't kill him, good old mother nature did, blame her. The company provides an easy way around mother natures evil death temperatures for a fee. If ya don't want to pay the fee go get some wood and make FIRE - that stuffs warm.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

99% of the time the elderly A.) Like being elderly and have shit load of medical bills or B.) To lazy to get off his old ass and work to pay the bills.