BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Charybdis solo RDM/BLU

I tried straight tanking this with a BRD friend today, it went better than expected but we still wiped. It was my first time ever trying this setup, here was my gear, any input would be appreciated:

Tutlary
    Genbu's Shield
    Bibiki Seashell
    Warlock Chapeu+1
    Beak Necklace+1
    Loquacious Earring
    Ethereal Earring
    Darksteel Harness
    Protecting Bangles
    Jelly Ring
    BQR
    Cheviot Cape
    Swift Belt
    Goliard Trews
    Goliard Clogs

Over all I had 26% -Phys taken, 36% at night, +10 VIT from gear/spells and roughly 700 defense with Prot4 and cocoon. Charybdis was hitting me mostly for 0-40 with all my buffs. With Slow2 and elegy it was possible to cast stoneskin without him attacking since SS was a 20s recast and he attacked roughly every 11 seconds or so. We lasted for about 30min with most of the dmg coming from bio2/poison and a little melee but eventually lost at like 70%. People who've soloed him using the kite method on /BLU say he was so easy its possible to straight tank him, which I tried tonight to no avail. Would it be more efficient to just try again but this time simply bind/nuke? The brd didnt wanna sleep the devil manta for an hour so is it possible to kite charybdis up and down that little piece of land between the pond he spawns in and the secret door?

Get a better physical damage reduction set and abandon melee and use an Earth Staff would be my suggestion.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

in before anal comment about blu and brd having nothing to do with solo rdm/blu

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

I don't think Genbu's is doing as much for you as Earth/Terra's Staff will what with Charby's level and RDMs pathetic shield skill. Also, go for the other Darksteel pieces (minus the Subligar since you already have Goliard) and BioIII. Spam Dispel and Sleep on him to get some hate (once you are confident, switch to just Blind and occasional Dispel), and let someone else do the damage.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I thought you still bind/nuked him as RDM/BLU? You don't sub NIN because if he hits you, shadows wont do as much as Cacoon or something.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    I thought you still bind/nuked him as RDM/BLU? You don't sub NIN because if he hits you, shadows wont do as much as Cacoon or something.
    correct. except /blu is absolutely horrible for charby. i take around 25~40 damage with /blu, with around 670ish def, and -30% damage. with /nin, around 450ish (maybe 500? idr) i take around 35~50ish, and the first 3 do 0. with /blu, without def gear on, i get hit for around 60-80 which means 5-6 hits kills a new ss, while on /nin i take around 70~90, which means ss will never be borked in a single attack round, unless it crits.

The brd didnt wanna sleep the devil manta for an hour so is it possible to kite charybdis up and down that little piece of land between the pond he spawns in and the secret door?
    technically, yes, but unless you've had a ton of experience doing things like that, you'll likely die, and it's also going to unclaim, a lot, and even stay that way for a relatively long time sometimes, which means a larger group (with at least competant rdm, and maybe some people to clear/train mobs away) could steal it, or if dots wear off, you may not be able to reclaim it before it regens.

the easiest way is to simple kite it around the manta, or tunnel in and out of the room. kiting along the small tunnel is probably the easiest way, but opening the door repeatedly gets annoying, and you have to watch out for the water elemental that spawns there. when turning around to go back into the room, if you bind it as it's turning around the corner, you can get past it without getting hit.

if you kite it in the room, obviously you risk aggroing the manta. the biggest thing is to stay away from it, and don't forget that you can use sneak to run past it. it really isn't too hard to avoid, though sometimes it can corner you at the back wall, with charby in range. make sure you know where it is, and preferably can see it, at all times. as long as you stay alert, and be careful, it's pretty easy to avoid.

if you have no competition, and you aggro the manta, you can easily lose it using gravity. also, with no competition, don't forget you can also deaggro charby to rest (to speed up the fight with more nukes, or if you're running low for any reason). if you do have competition, then be very careful with kiting it. if you kite too long without getting hit, it can deaggro pretty quickly, especially if you use gravity. personally i don't ever use gravity, or even kite for more than ~10 seconds, to avoid this (i've had 2-3 stolen before while soloing x.x.

slow, and para are your friend. with slow1 it has more than 5 secs between its attack rounds, which is plenty to cast stoneskin, or bio+bind then run (so you can cast bio right away, instead of waiting for a long bind), or whatever else you may need to cast. para isn't nearly as helpful as slow, but considering it costs 6 mp, it only needs to proc once per 3~5 casts to save you mp on stoneskin, not to mention making things easier.

1. have someone with movement speed train to yuhtunga jungle zone
    2. follow them, bringing charybdis with you
    3. after you get past gold door, kite around the pond for 2 hours

or just get a nin, thf, or pld/rdm(/blu works great too if the rdm has phal2) to tank it and kill it in 20-30 min

#Despair
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitsukai Shimakaze
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

1. have someone with movement speed train to yuhtunga jungle zone
    2. follow them, bringing charybdis with you
    3. after you get past gold door, kite around the pond for 2 hours
    Probably your best bet.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BrillCS View Post
    Probably your best bet.
    until you think you can just kite, and never use bind/grav, and it gets stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by rog View Post
    Just cast Dia when you lose claim. It won't overwrite Bio II/III and if you cast it with a Pluto's staff (or even Dark, really) it will do 0 damage.

Mob's deaggro after 30 seconds of being out of tracking range while not bound or slept, with this in mind it's not really that difficult to avoid deaggroing anything :/ That said.. when a mob deaggros it stands still for 2-3 seconds before going white anyway, which gives you ample time to cast something and reclaim it.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

lol if had someone else do the dmg would not be solo. and avesta is god

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

COR could solo at the pond easily if they managed to pull it there. I can see pulling it solo with some luck, but would be cake if you had a friend go first and aggro everything on the way.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    COR could solo at the pond easily if they managed to pull it there. I can see pulling it solo with some luck, but would be cake if you had a friend go first and aggro everything on the way.
    any job could, but without bind, you'd almost definitely deaggro it sooner or later, and there's a good chance you'll get a pretty large crowd if you fight at the lake.

and avesta is god
    ah...avesta, you mean the guy that doesn't change gear for vert?

any job could, but without bind, you'd almost definitely deaggro it sooner or later, and there's a good chance you'll get a pretty large crowd if you fight at the lake.
    You still have 3 seconds to notice it stopped moving and cast something, which isn't exactly hard to do.

ah...avesta, you mean the guy that doesn't change gear for vert?
    For once, I agree with Rog. Avesta is a good RDM, but he's really just a media whore. Many many RDMs across all servers are better than he is, he just has the reputation because he's recorded and released a lot of videos to the public.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    You still have 3 seconds to notice it stopped moving and cast something, which isn't exactly hard to do.
    yeah, but if it takes ~1 sec to notice, and then you try to cast, but it's around the corner and you get the cannot see error, half a second to notice you didn't cast, then a second to run over, and half a sec to cast. it may not be all that hard, but there's still a reasonable risk of it happening, eventually.

For once, I agree with Rog. Avesta is a good RDM, but he's really just a media whore. Many many RDMs across all servers are better than he is, he just has the reputation because he's recorded and released a lot of videos to the public.
    not to mention he was one of the first ones to start soloing a lot of the harder nms.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Many many ... are better than he is, he just has the reputation because he's recorded and released a lot of videos to the public.
    The Britney Spears rule?

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    Not to mention his BLM videos are um... odd. Alternating spells instead of just using thundaga for ODS, constantly getting hit, and making it look 10x harder to solo than it really is, for example.