BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Anyone ever try FINAL FANTASY XI on PS2 (With Component/480p)?

So I just got a component cable for my PS2 (Literally sits with dust on it) and was wondering if anyone has tried FFXI for the PS2 with 480p on.

Just wondering if it helps the game respectively on the console look any better than its current Atari-styled graphics without it.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

There's a difference, but it's small. Unless you're comparing them side by side you're only likely to notice it the first time you log in. A component video cable won't turn your PS2 graphics into PC graphics.

If you have a component video TV then the cable is worth getting, but I wouldn't bother buying a TV for it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Unless I'm mistaken, the only conversion from 480i to 480p FFXI on the PS2 is going to have is via an upscaler on your TV. I never was able to figure out how to upscale it with the PS2. That being said, components help the picture quality on the PS2 but not a whole lot.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

from what i remember, there were only a handful of games on the PS2 that actually had support for progressive output. i'm fairly certain XI wasn't one of them, so as mentioned, i think the only way you're going to get there is if your TV can upscale the signal.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    from what i remember, there were only a handful of games on the PS2 that actually had support for progressive output. i'm fairly certain XI wasn't one of them, so as mentioned, i think the only way you're going to get there is if your TV can upscale the signal.
    Unless it specifically states you can enable 480p in the game manual (X and ∆ at the same time when starting the game) you're SOL. Sometimes on the back of the disc cover it'll say "Progressive Scan". Release date has nothing to do with the likelihood that it can support 480p.

For example, Star Ocean: Till the end of time enables Prog scan and was released in 2004. FF12 doesn't, it was released in 2006.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nced_PS2_games
    Says FFXI supports 480p, nothing in my PS2 copy mentions this. Like i said before, you hold X and ∆ to enable Prog scan so feel free to try. It wont make the game look any less like ass since the resolution will still suck, but the difference is somewhat noticeable with high def cables.

Edit 2: http://hdgames.net/ -> confirms that wiki is wrong, FFXI doesn't support 480p.

One of the gran turismo games supported it.

I have a vga cable for my ps2, too bad nothing besides the dev kit supports that

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Apelila View Post
    Unless it specifically states you can enable 480p in the game manual (X and ∆ at the same time when starting the game) you're SOL. Sometimes on the back of the disc cover it'll say "Progressive Scan". Release date has nothing to do with the likelihood that it can support 480p.

For example, Star Ocean: Till the end of time enables Prog scan and was released in 2004. FF12 doesn't, it was released in 2006.
    Well look at that, according to wikipedia, XI and XII both have progressive scan output:

List of PlayStation 2 games with HD support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm also shocked to discover that GT4 apparently did 1080i.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Read my second edit (I did it while you were posting). Wiki is wrong on XI, and it says XII has 16:9 support not 480p.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So in the end, the component is only going to enhance the image crispness/color like S-video would for composite? Since 480p is out of the question for that game. Either way, component is definately noticeable to me on my HDTV. No question about that.

As for the progressive scan in games that allow it, do you hold the triangle and cross buttons together while the PLAYSTATION 2 image is on the screen? Also does it confirm it with a dialog if you want to choose progressive scan like the gamecube does? Or does it just do it lol.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

It should confirm it from dialogue, like a "do you want to keep this mode?" thing.. A very, very few games allow you to turn it on from the options as well I think. Shadow of the Colossus does if I recall.

Progressive output looks notably "better" on HDTV. The downside is that you get to see how crappy some of those games look in full digital clarity, as opposed to your TV's scaler serving to smear some vasaline on the lense...