Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yeah. God, I hope Pujols isn't linked to any of this mess. I love the guy. I'm sick of baseball though, what with all the cheaters. We need the 103 names to be revealed.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Damn. I've always liked A-Rod and want him to break Bonds's HR record (I hate that cunt) but all this lying (if it's true) is going to tarnish his legacy so badly.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Yeah. God, I hope Pujols isn't linked to any of this mess. I love the guy. I'm sick of baseball though, what with all the cheaters. We need the 103 names to be revealed.
    I'm afraid that he will be the next casualty.

As much as I don't like A-Rod after his Texas departure, I was still looking forward to him taking a run at the HR record and now not so much -- completely lost all respect for him now. I really, REALLY don't want Pujols to fall into the same category, but at this point, I can actually say that I am just waiting for it. :/

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Hi-res pic of new Yankee Stadium, holy fuck!

http://subwayfox.net/files/delta%20pano.jpg

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

left-field wall is a hell of a lot taller than before

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Beautiful. Can't wait to get out there this Spring.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

American League East spring training preview - MLB - Spring Training - 2009 - SI.com

Their "scout's" take on the Yankees and Sox.

Scout's take: "I'm sorry, I just don't see it: This is not a championship team. CC's performance in big games has to be a concern
    "You have to like the gambles they took with Smoltz, Baldelli, and Penny. And don't forget Saito -- those guys could come up big for them down the stretch.
    I should sign up for a scouting job right now.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Brian Roberts, four years, $40 million? Living in the DC/Baltimore area, and having no real baseball to watch locally, it just seems like a big investment for a late-blooming speed guy on the wrong side of 30. I know Matt Wieters is supposed to hit .400 and cure AIDS and all, but is it wrong for me to enjoy the Orioles' misery?

Also, on a personal note, my office has a project going on for most of March, so I can't get down to Arizona for any spring games. But my girlfriend said she'd get us plane tickets to Chicago for my birthday over the summer, so Wrigley here we come! Can any north-siders recommend good hotels and restaurants in the area?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    Brian Roberts, four years, $40 million? Living in the DC/Baltimore area, and having no real baseball to watch locally, it just seems like a big investment for a late-blooming speed guy on the wrong side of 30. I know Matt Wieters is supposed to hit .400 and cure AIDS and all, but is it wrong for me to enjoy the Orioles' misery?

Also, on a personal note, my office has a project going on for most of March, so I can't get down to Arizona for any spring games. But my girlfriend said she'd get us plane tickets to Chicago for my birthday over the summer, so Wrigley here we come! Can any north-siders recommend good hotels and restaurants in the area?
    If Jones stops sucking, that's a pretty good young core they have (Wieters/Markakis/Jones) I feel sorry for the Jays and O's, no matter what they do, they have no shot in hell at competing within the next decade or so.

Like every year, my hopes are high for the Giants (probably too high), but I think we may be able to compete for the division title this year. Our rotation looks like it's going to be Tim Lincecum, Randy Johnson, Matt Cain, Barry Zito, and either Sanchez or Lowry as the number 5.

In my opinion, there's no reason to think that 2008 was a fluke for Timmy and so I'm not worried about him; he's a solid ace.

Johnson is certainly the biggest weak spot it looks like. He's going to be 45 this year and even though he had a competitive ERA last year, I can only assume that it's gonna be worse this year. He probably won't have a winning record either, because he'll be facing other #2's who are going to be better than him.

I'm hoping that Cain will have a breakout year this season. He'll most likely be facing inferior pitchers and that should help his confidence a lot. I think he'll certainly have more wins than losses, most likely around the 14-15 range. If he gets super lucky and has some good run support, I don't think him winning 20 is out of the realm of possibility, but certainly not likely.

I'm hoping that they pick Sanchez over Lowry as I don't think that Lowry has a major league ready arm yet. Lowry would fit in nicely in a bullpen/long relief type of position. Sanchez could be in the position to have a breakout year and bring us a good bat in the 2010 off season. Either way I think both pitchers should be able to dominate opponent's #5s.

As for hitting, I think that our lineup, while being better than it was for most of last year, is still pretty weak. If we want to actually compete in the NL we are either going to need one big bat (Looking at you Manny) or a couple of solid bats. I think we have the room to offer Manny $60-$63 million for 3 years, but I'm not sure if that's enough to land him. We may be able to trade for a few bats, but I'm not all that confident in Sabean's ability to win in a trade.

Either way I'm hoping that this will be a fun season.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kang View Post
    Lol at the Florida Misers comment.
    Comments like this always annoy me and show the incompetence of the media.

What of substance did the Marlin's lose?

Mike Jacobs sub-.300 OBP and defense that cost us nearly ~15 runs (-1.5 wins on defense! Christ!), when we already have first baseman prospect who should easily match his offense production considering how much more important OBP is over SLG and plays above average defense. We're looking at a 2+ win change just by getting rid of Jacobs, on top of which we got a good young reliever.

Scott Olsen and his back-to-back 5+ FIP seasons? (but he had a pretty ERA last year!!!) Nolasco/Johnson/Volstad/Anibal/Miller with Sean West saying sup? in Jacksonville...yeah, I think we're OK in starting pitching.

Kevin Gregg, who's a sure-fire 3.80-3.90 FIP, aka, an average reliever, and we got a ML-ready relief prospect who project to be at worst kevin gregg, and at best a top-end reliever.

Josh Willingham is the only thing of substance you can say is gone, since (when healthy) he absolutely rakes and I really am going to miss his plate discipline and OBP. Key word though is, when healthy, and when a guy has chronic back problems but refuses to have surgery, well, you're talking about a guy who's going to miss substantial time every year and when he does play hurt, loses a ton of his power. Plus you're talking about horrible defense, and the fact we're replacing him with Cameron-fucking-Maybin, as well as huge depth in the minors with Logan Morrison, Mike Stanton, Scott Cousins, John Raynor, and co.

I can't believe the people who call it a mini-fire sale. Since when was trading your scrap heaps a fire sale? Then again it's the same people who called 2006 a fire sale (It wasn't, it's called getting rid of a team that passed it's peak and rebuilding to be able to compete again. And you're looking at surpassing the 2005 record just three years later.) It's the same people who called trading Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis a fire sale. Sure, blasting the Cabrera trade might have held some ground, until they signed Hanley Ramirez to a 6 year contract, who's only competition for most valuable hitter in the game is with Albert Pujols. And lol@people who thought Dontrelle would "turn it around" even though his peripherals have decayed every season since it's cy young year. I love the train but he's got more problems than a crack whore.

1997 WAS a fire sale, but it's really unfortunate that every single trade the Marlins have made since then and will continue to make in the future are labeled as fire sales because of then.

[/rant]

GO BASEBALL

He's actually 39. But yeah. I'm so fucking stoked right now, you wouldn't believe. Maybe we can get an aging (though younger) Garrett Anderson for our shitty outfield now instead of an aging hitter who plays about 80-90 games, and bats .250. Wee.

Not saying that Garrett Anderson is actually worth the money, by the way. Just saying.. there's not much left out there.
    I'm glad he didn't sign with the Braves, as he was their best OF option left outside of trades. He still hits RHP very very well, and his poor defense would be negated a lot by moving to left field. Platoon him with Diaz or some other RH bat and you're looking at getting at least, what, a mid .850 OPS out of LF? That's legit. Too legit to quit (on signing him).

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Yankee Stadium is looking great.

As far as the SI.com scouting... that is pretty funny. While I like the Red Sox moves to go after guys who don't cost much, and are high-reward type of guys if the deals flesh out, I liked the Yankees moves a tad more.. and I mean only a tad.

We've already gone through our AJ Burnett discussion, so no need there. Tex is a stud. He's a slow starter, but he'll heat up and be a 30/100 type of guy easy, especially in that lineup. I'd see 35 HR 130 RBI as an easy statline for him, and batting about .290ish? Sabathia worries me though. You have to wonder if that huge workload he went through with the Brewcrew last year will come back to bite him in the ass. I think he'll do just fine, but you have to wonder if he'll struggle much to the start of the year. If he does, you know the fans will be all over his case, and then we'll have to see how he responds to that.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by fren. View Post
    If Jones stops sucking, that's a pretty good young core they have (Wieters/Markakis/Jones) I feel sorry for the Jays and O's, no matter what they do, they have no shot in hell at competing within the next decade or so.
    As someone who waited for Corey Patterson to break out, only to see his 2004 season exposed as a fluke, that's a big "if" on Adam Jones. Also, starting pitching wru? They just seem to have no direction, and it's a shame because they're waisting away Markakis' career, a la early Jason Bay in Pittsburgh.

I think the Dodgers made a great move today signing Orlando Hudson, it allows them to use DeWitt and Blake as platoon/four-corners sub types instead of both of them getting too many at-bats. If they finally get Manny on board, they should win the division pretty easily.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I agree with the CC thing Aki. He's a big dude and it's anyones guess if he's going to be recovered from last season's surge with the Brewers.

But I think he'll do fine, he's been in the league long enough and thus knows how to properly condition. At least I hope he knows lol.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Twins signed crede, lmao

It'll be interesting to see how his back holds up on the carpet concrete in the metrodome

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    As someone who waited for Corey Patterson to break out, only to see his 2004 season exposed as a fluke, that's a big "if" on Adam Jones. Also, starting pitching wru? They just seem to have no direction, and it's a shame because they're waisting away Markakis' career, a la early Jason Bay in Pittsburgh.

I think the Dodgers made a great move today signing Orlando Hudson, it allows them to use DeWitt and Blake as platoon/four-corners sub types instead of both of them getting too many at-bats. If they finally get Manny on board, they should win the division pretty easily.
    Second best hitters park to the second worst, Hudson's "numbers" aren't gonna be very good.

Edit: Actually, this is a horrible signing. They gave up the 17th pick of the draft for one year of Orlando Hudson, what the fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kang View Post
    I agree with the CC thing Aki. He's a big dude and it's anyones guess if he's going to be recovered from last season's surge with the Brewers.

But I think he'll do fine, he's been in the league long enough and thus knows how to properly condition. At least I hope he knows lol.
    Being tall and fat has its advantages. Yanks aren't likely to abuse him though.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

At least mentally, CC should be at ease compared to last year. He was the guy on the Brewers last year. In the Bronx, he's one of many. A lot of guys get tired of having the spotlight shining solely on them all the time - just ask A-rod. I think CC will fit in well. He won't be asked to pitch every 3 days, he has a strong lineup backing him up, and he's a strike-out pitcher so he doesn't need to rely on the Yankees' bad defense to pick him up. Santana was used just as much as CC last year down the stretch, I doubt you'll see falloffs in either pitcher.

I don't think CC will handle postseason play if the Yankees make it. He's the past two performances he's put up an ERA of like 10+.

Braves:
    I like that they signed Glavine, but I'm not sure what's going to happen when Hudson comes back in August (if he makes it in that time). If he's healthy enough, I can see the line up as Hudson > Lowe > Jair Jurrjens > Kawakami or whatever his name is > Campillo/Glavine.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing if Frenchy has improved at the plate from last year.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    At least mentally, CC should be at ease compared to last year. He was the guy on the Brewers last year. In the Bronx, he's one of many. A lot of guys get tired of having the spotlight shining solely on them all the time - just ask A-rod. I think CC will fit in well. He won't be asked to pitch every 3 days, he has a strong lineup backing him up, and he's a strike-out pitcher so he doesn't need to rely on the Yankees' bad defense to pick him up. Santana was used just as much as CC last year down the stretch, I doubt you'll see falloffs in either pitcher.
    Here's the thing. With the Brewers, it didn't matter if he was THE guy. It's the Brewers, Haha. It's not like there's a ton of pressure to perform there when compared to New York, and playing for the Yankees. I do think CC will fit in well, but I do not think it'll be as easy as he thinks. His record should be better though, considering the offense he'll have.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthesilea View Post
    I don't think CC will handle postseason play if the Yankees make it. He's the past two performances he's put up an ERA of like 10+.

Braves:
    I like that they signed Glavine, but I'm not sure what's going to happen when Hudson comes back in August (if he makes it in that time). If he's healthy enough, I can see the line up as Hudson > Lowe > Jair Jurrjens > Kawakami or whatever his name is > Campillo/Glavine.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing if Frenchy has improved at the plate from last year.
    Uh.. you're also suggesting that all the pitchers will stay healthy for the Braves, lol. Hudson will have a spot open when he comes back. I can almost guarantee it.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Here's the thing. With the Brewers, it didn't matter if he was THE guy. It's the Brewers, Haha. It's not like there's a ton of pressure to perform there when compared to New York, and playing for the Yankees. I do think CC will fit in well, but I do not think it'll be as easy as he thinks. His record should be better though, considering the offense he'll have.
    How was there no pressure? They hadn't made the playoffs in over 20 years, they changed managers with like a week left in the season, and the owner had clearly invested all his resources into making a run that year because he knew the chance might not present itself again. There was a ton of pressure on him to perform, especially when they asked him to do it on 3 days rest, and with some help from the Mets they came through. I think he got a nice taste NY pressure when he went through that. I doubt he thinks it'll be "easy", but clearly all eyes aren't going to be on him this year, as crazy as that sounds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 352 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast