+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Internet working but not.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Internet working but not.

So my internet is working fine, but when I try to connect to FFXI and Team Fortress 2 it simply doesn't connect(I assume the problem would be similar with other games but I haven't tried). Web pages, chat programs, and Steam loads just fine. I'm really lost on what could be keeping me from connecting to FFXI etc. I know it isn't POL being a pain in the ass and it is something wrong with my internet. (Team Fortress 2 wouldn't load any servers either)

I am on Comcast.

I have turned off the surge protector then back on.

I have unplugged the cable wire leading to the modem. I also plugged the cable wire coming right out of the wall into the modem. (A previous problem involved a faulty wire/splitter.)

I am using wireless. Linksys WRT54G Router.

The wireless panel shows me connected to the internet.

Internet icon on the taskbar says "Connected" and "Excellent" connections.

If I left anything out I will post it ASAP. Thanks.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You have Comcast... As do I. I usually just turn router off for like 10. When that doesn't work, I am forced to go outside or rely on my iPhone. I wish I had a soulution to your problem as I experience it like every few days. Of course, Comcrap always say there is nothing wrong on their end.

Sometimes in hours of desparation, I talk to the router like lovers do. This has proven ineffectuve but surprisingly calming.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Tried turning router and modem off for a bit, no luck with that.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Try streaming from youtube and let us know how the download rate is from that. Expected? Better? Worse?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

You can always check your download speed at speedtest.net.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You've mentioned all the stuff you have now, but not when this was last working. Do you remember anything about that?

For example, you were playing FFXI before. How? Was it on a different computer? Did you change ISPs? Did you get a new router? What has changed?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I'm on the same computer/internet I play FFXI on right now. Managed to get on FFXI but d/c'd as soon as I zoned. I really don't understand why I can browse the internet just fine but anything else doesn't work.

I was last on FFXI this morning. Yesterday I didn't have any problems. The 12th I had some but it wasn't nearly as bad as this.

Youtube is working fine.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you're done the obligatory power cycles of your PC, modem, and router, all that is left is your service provider. Contact them to see if there is any outages in your area or if they are performing maintenance. It also is a possibility that Comcast could be upgrading your area to DOCSIS 3.0.

DOCSIS 3.0 will upgrade your speed in the end, but some work will need to be done to make you compatible. All of the work is on the companies dollar and their end, but still needs to be done.

Reference for DOCSIS: DOCSIS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Okan View Post
    Contact them to see if there is any outages in your area or if they are performing maintenance.
    Yeah, the only problem with Comcast is they will NOT admit any outages etc and immediately say its on the users end. Sucks really, I'll post again if it doesn't clear up over time.

Thanks

Edit: Could just be FFXI being gay I guess. Not on SE's end, but just because my connection is being less then amazing today. Ended up getting on Team Fortress 2 with quite a bit of effort and once I was connected to a server I was fine. (The server list did take much longer to load however.)

I am hope.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I know it sounds silly, but is you're firewall on?
    Windows seems to turn mine on randomly every few weeks, making it hell to get on FF, but as soon as I turn it back off I'm fine.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

If you are getting dropped packets due to "noise" on the cable lines in your house, that could be the problem. We all know how a single dropped packet will DC you from FFXI.

If you know how to work a Multi-meter, you can check the resistance and continuity of your jacks in your house. Something as stupid as a spider, mouse, rat, etc. building a nest around a jack or in your demark box can mess with your connection. It's a fairly simple test and will save you a whole lot of time on the phone with comcast if you can eliminate problems inside your house first.

If you have exhausted all your PC hardware/Peripheral troubleshooting, turn to testing the lines before you try to make comcast come out. The tech really likes it when you can give them a definitive starting point and eliminate a lot of troubleshooting for them.