Closed Thread
Page 237 of 237 FirstFirst ... 187 227 235 236 237
    E. Body
    BG Level

Raiders cut quarterback Jeff Garcia - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

GAHHHHHHHH why cant we have Garcia instead of Favre!?!??!

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sources: New England Patriots deal Richard Seymour to Oakland Raiders - ESPN

This is odd because Belichick doesn't covet FR picks, as a matter of fact they usually trade down and just stockpile lesser picks. I'm wondering if there was some rift of if there is someone they are after someone on another team that wants a high pick for them.

Seeing as its the Raiders and they are ALWAYS in the top 5-7 picks in each year's draft. This just seems out of character is why I was curious, especially considering the Pats given draft history and how they generally stock pile late rounders for 1st and 2nd rounders.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah Miz, I'm a bit confused too. Maybe he sees bundling this first rounder into a later first and seconder rounder next year. However, the short term question is how do you replace him on the D-Line. Pryor had an awesome pre-season, given, but you don't just dump your pro-bowl D-End without an idea on how his talent gets replaced on field, and by next Monday night.

So I heard Richard Seymour's career ended today

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Rofl, rec. Yeah, off to Baltimore he goes! Wonder why he got traded.

They might have traded him because he wasn't fitting very well in the 4-3, but that just seems odd given the fact that he's always at the end position anyway. I'm starting to get some doubts as to whether NE will actually win that division this year now. Their offense will be fine I'm sure, but it seems like they just keep having to downgrade their defense. It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up having the same problem NO had last year trying to make a playoff push

edit: or he and Burgess couldn't play at the same time, and they didn't want to keep 2 starters in that position when the other has good trade value. I don't understand why Al would make the trade though. He basically gave up Derrick Burgess AND a 1st rounder for him

Also, since the season starts Thursday, Aki or Tyche should go on and lock this and start the week 1 thread probably

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

NE has a fantastic offense, weapons in so many places. Hell, if you look at last year, they made Matt Cassel look great (when, give him a mediocre team, he looks like a guy who has not started since high school.) That offense is kinda sick.

However, for the last few years, the strategy for their defense was 'get old guys to plug up the holes.' Well, eventually, they had to have a youth push. Vrabel, while a fan favorite, was crap last year. Bruschi, while loved, was not much better. As a Patriot fan, I did not want to see either go, but the sad reality is, I think the Pats are better off now (outside of the loss of leadership, that I do question.) Seymour, well... I don't think he should have been a victim of a 'youth movement', he is 29. More likely, he was traded cause he is in a contract year.

What this should help is the fact that, in the last couple years, by week 10-12, the Pats defense was just backups anyway. Last year, by the end of the season, they were pretty much playing second stringers. They do need to get significantly younger on defense, which they seemingly accomplished with this off season. Will this 'youth movement' work? I think it will, they would not have traded Seymour for no reason. Will they win the division? I think so, unless major injuries happen or Miami/NY have unbelievable seasons. I would guess 12-4 or 13-3 is well within the Pat's reach.

I don't know, a 12 win season seems like the absolute max with that schedule. They play at Philly to start the year, then at Indy later on. Then they've got the Ravens, Tennessee, the Giants, Carolina and Atlanta at home. That's just out of conference. Obviously there's a good chance of dropping 1-2 in conference. It isn't the AFC West, after all. I see whoever wins that division getting 10-11 wins when it's all said and done.

E. Body
    BG Level

Wow a first rounder for Seymour? Overpaid...

I like this:

Patriots get Moss from the Raiders for next-to-nothing
    Derrick Burgess goes from the Raiders to the Patriots for chump change
    Richard Seymour (aging+injured all the time, albeit he's good) goes for a first round pick from the Patriots to the Raiders

Belicheck is just trolling the crap out of Al Davis.

EDIT: He's gonna send more of his crap to the AFC West in the near future, I'm sure.

I can't wait for week 12 by the way. Brady and Brees facing off in the Superdome, and it's on MNF. It seems like that should be a good game to watch at the least.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by recuperi View Post
    I can't wait for week 12 by the way. Brady and Brees facing off in the Superdome, and it's on MNF. It seems like that should be a good game to watch at the least.
    I love how every single year, the Patriots will play the Colts. Brady-Brees should be fun to watch, but let's pray that both stay upright =/

Brady v. Brunell, or whoever the backup is right now for Nawlins would not be as fun.

Does SD play GB this year? Despite the draft day stuff between Manning/Rivers, I think Rivers-Rodgers would be a better matchup. Although you could say the douchebag rivalry should be between Cutler and Rivers. Donno who takes the crown in that one, I'd probably say Cutler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    I love how every single year, the Patriots will play the Colts. Brady-Brees should be fun to watch, but let's pray that both stay upright =/

Brady v. Brunell, or whoever the backup is right now for Nawlins would not be as fun.

Does SD play GB this year? Despite the draft day stuff between Manning/Rivers, I think Rivers-Rodgers would be a better matchup. Although you could say the douchebag rivalry should be between Cutler and Rivers. Donno who takes the crown in that one, I'd probably say Cutler.
    I'm biased, but I'd say Cutler lol. He sealed the deal with that trade stuff

edit: god dammit, just as I was going to check the SD schedule I see this on ESPN's front page

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4450962

seriously, they can't even start the season without an arrest?

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

To the week 1 thread!