+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yasumi Matsuno's (FF12, FFT) next game is... Madworld?

FFXII And Vagrant Story Designer Working On MadWorld: News from 1UP.com

Final Fantasy XII certainly has its share of fans, some of whom might say that it's the best of the franchise. Unfortunately. much of the team has dispersed since the project's completion. But at least one seems to have found a place at Platinum Games.

GameSpot has an interesting tidbit in their preview of MadWorld, noting that Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre and FF12 designer Yasumi Matsuno is lending a hand on the game's scenarios. He was tapped by his friend Atsushi Inaba, who has a bit of experience himself thanks to his work on Viewtiful Joe, Okami and God Hand.

Make of this information what you will, but that's quite a bit of experience right there. Consider our expectations raised.
    What the hell?

This man is responsible for all that was good in FF12. This is amazing.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

My friend showed me the trailers for MadWorld, forgot that's what the game was called but just googling it and seeing the black/white/red art style immediately made me remember the game. It looks really unique and seems like it'll be fun but the separation between it and FF12 is too great to think that any similarities or significant inferences can be drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk View Post
    My friend showed me the trailers for MadWorld, forgot that's what the game was called but just googling it and seeing the black/white/red art style immediately made me remember the game. It looks really unique and seems like it'll be fun but the separation between it and FF12 is too great to think that any similarities or significant inferences can be drawn.
    Platinum Games is Clover Studios.

No bad can come from Madworld, at worst it'll be criminally ignored like some of their other games.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

FFXII would have been my favorite FF if Matsuno's vision had been completely and utterly realized. He's the only game designer besides Sakaguchi and Miyamoto that I know by name. Love everything he does. This should turn out well...

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

After reading the wiki for this game....it doesn't sound very interesting. Unless there is something I am missing here, might just not be my genre I guess.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You have to see it in action to get it. The pedigree is what makes the game worth getting excited about after seeing the trailers.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

looks fun, chainsaws are just plain lovely

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Definitely going to keep an eye on this. FFXII was the best game I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    FFXII would have been my favorite FF if Matsuno's vision had been completely and utterly realized. He's the only game designer besides Sakaguchi and Miyamoto that I know by name. Love everything he does. This should turn out well...
    how would his vision of FFXII change how FFXII accually came out ?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wasn't FFXII supposed to offer online features or something? I just thought it was the original blueprint for FFXI. Looking at how XI turned out, maybe it's the other way around...

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Vail View Post
    No Vaan and Penelo, for one. He intended Basch to be the main character.

Not 100% sure about the rest of it though

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Totally explains why Vaan and Penelo felt so useless compared to everyone else in the story.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    Totally explains why Vaan and Penelo felt so useless compared to everyone else in the story.
    seriously, those two were probably the reason i didn't like the game as much as i could have, it's starting to bug me that a lot of games are starting out with young/teenagery type random people who magically learn how to swing a sword

in any case, this game should hopefully deliver a bit more.

I always considered Ashe and Balthier to be the main characters (mainly Ashe), but it was interesting seeing the story from a totally different perspective than just the main hero. Not that Vaan or Penelo were interesting, but I still liked them.

A. Body
    BG Level

Final Fantasy Tactics: Director, script and game design
    Vagrant Story: Producer, director and battle design
    Final Fantasy XII: Original concept, scenario plotter, and supervisor

Not just the best parts of FFXII, the pest parts of every game he's been a part of. If he hadn't gotten sick and his staff hadn't butchered the story, the supervisor credit would have meant more.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Vail View Post
    I felt like FFXII had a fanastic story hidden behind some horrible storytelling and awkward progression. I think if his vision had come to fruition, that would not have been the case.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Horrible storytelling and awkward progression? Please.... It wasnt the best, but "awkward" and "horrible" is pushing a bit.

Madworld doesnt look that great imo. I love artsy graphics, but the setting doesn't really interest me. Maybe it will have interesting twist to it, but I will need more than this to convince me to get the game.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Horrible storytelling and awkward progression? Please.... It wasnt the best, but "awkward" and "horrible" is pushing a bit.

Madworld doesnt look that great imo. I love artsy graphics, but the setting doesn't really interest me. Maybe it will have interesting twist to it, but I will need more than this to convince me to get the game.
    I stand by my comments, especially relative to what could have been. I've never seen a game with such great potential fail so hard at drawing me in. If it weren't for the addicting gameplay, I would never have finished it.

What does awkward progression even mean? It's not like they make you watch an episode of The Office before the plot can actually move on.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    I stand by my comments, especially relative to what could have been. I've never seen a game with such great potential fail so hard at drawing me in. If it weren't for the addicting gameplay, I would never have finished it.
    Beat the game again in a few year, your opinion (or wording at least) will probably change. The line between love and hate is rather thin usually.