+ Reply to Thread
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Building new PC For FFXI, Need Advice

Hi Everyone!

I have this urge of building a new PC for FFXI, because my FPS during dyna and stuff drop to about 16~20, Which I feel shouldn't be the way to play Games! But also i have this worry that this new PC assembled may not run well with FFXI, as it may be "Too New". Hope someone who has knowledge with parts or currently using specs similar to below can provide useful advice.

Intend to assemble the following:
    CPU: Core i7 CPU 920 (2.66GHz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R X58
    Memory: 3GB Kingston PC3 2000MHz CL9
    PSU: 550W Power Supply Unit
    GPU:XFX GTX260 896MB DDR3
    DVD Writer.
    Intended OS: Win XP

Currently using a Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHZ) with 2GB Ram and 7900GS GPU

I recently build a i7 system and the FPS are pretty much the same as my old core 2 duo 2.4ghz tho it does make multi-boxing easier if thats what your into throw each client on a different thread

FFXI is limited by there programing at this point no matter what hardware we throw at it its not ganna run faster

with that said say if you still wanna do this your basicly ganna see no FPS drop from multiple clients you wont lose FPS but your not ganna be runng at 30 FPS at AH with everything turned up

If your ganna do this do it cuase you play more modern games my system plays every 1 of my many games maxed out at 1920x1080.With lots of headroom for the future havent even gotten around to overclocking it yet and these i7 can run 4GHz on air with a TRUE.

Id go for evga over xfx(simply becuase of how great evga costmer servis is) but thats just my opinon

also dont be scared of vista.Vista x64 runs circles around xp on an i7 system.

also buy an aftermarket heatsink(dosent have to be somthing as exspensive as a TRUE but get somthing) the intel stock 1 sucks ass i used it for a few days while waiting for my TRUE black to come in and was running at 60c idle with the TRUE it runs 19-21c idle and i never see temps over 33c on any game i have

CPU: core i7 920
    Motherboard: eVGA x58 3-SLI
    RAM: OCZ Gold 3x2gb 1600MHz
    GPU's: eVGA GTX 260 core 216 SC in TRI-SLI

I'm following almost the same upgrade path as the OP except I have ATI for gfx. I'm even getting the same mobo o.o

Mainly I am worried about how FFXI+windower will perform in Vista x64.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

IMHO I don't see a point in going i7... especially if your primary focus is ffxi.

Have you tried overclocking your CPU? FFXI is very CPU dependent. I got solid 28+FPS in everything on a e8500 overclocked to 4ghz. I moved to an i7 for other purposes, but actually before a fairly serious OC I was getting slightly worse performance for ffxi.

I'd think you'd get much more performance just overclocking what you have. new gpu's won't do too much for ffxi at all. Now if you have other uses for your PC (namely video processing) then sure look at i7's, but I hate to buy bleeding edge first revisions (mine was given to demo).

You could save yourself a fair amount of money just upgrading/overclocking some simple things on your current system if all you want is 25+FPS in ffxi. Start with a good quality HSF (artic 7 is what this site loves, and it is a solid choice... but there are better ones if you're willing to spend more)

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

FFXI is a very processor-intensive single-threaded game, which means that going to the latest and greatest multicore proc won't really do much except make you lag less dual boxing. If you really only want to play FFXI, get an E8500 and overclock the shit out of it it, like solsirt said. Graphics card is almost irrelevant, as long as it has full DX8 support and enough memory for the resolution you run at.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I really don't see a point in building a new system (especially one as expensive as that) for FFXI. The game just doesn't scale with new hardware the way in which you're thinking. Take what you have and overclock it. I just built a second PC myself with a Q9300 and HD4870, and it runs the game the EXACT same as my E6600 and X1950XT.

Save yourself some money and invest in good cooling solutions and overclock your shizzzzzzz.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

For a 500 dollar budget, you can build a modern PC thats 70% cheaper or more than that current build you have listed up top. And it can run FFXI maxed out, all settings, etc. @ AH/Aery running no less than 28-29 FPS at anytime, including when summons are out.

But thats been mentioned above anyways, so yeah.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Thanks for all the wonderful informative replies!

==========

Actually, 1 Important reason why I am posting this questions is, I do not know if the XFX GTX260 will work with FFXI, as it isn't found on the Playonline's FFXI Page here.

FINAL FANTASY XI Official Web Site

Their list only shows up to GeForce 9600 GT, Which is the 1 of the 2 reasons why I am so worried about assembling this PC.

==========

Yes, I am building this PC mainly for FFXI, which is what i play most of the time now. I am also taking into consideration the possible games that may come out within the next 2~3 years, As once i have upgraded my PC, i do not expect to do so for at least 2 years.

I also happen to be playing games like Fallout 3 and RedAlert 3 when i am off FFXI. But if you ask me, I am on FFXI about 75% of the time thats why My main priority is still focused on PC that works good for FFXI.

Just a side note, I just went to do the "FINAL FANTASY XI for Windows - Official Benchmark Program 3" and got a Score of around 5980-H for my Current PC.

==========

The country I live in do not have "eVGA" Graphic Card which I have been cursing about. Thats one reason why I have to live with XFX Graphic Card.

Also my room I live in can become pretty hot during the day Especially when the Sun decides to Flareeee!!!, "Think of Greenhouse Effect". Thus I am not so comfortable with Overclocking for fear it may end up with "Smoke Gets in your Eyes"

==========

Thank you all for all the answers and support!

Do hope to hear more Advice!

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Dunno if you have checked out this thread yet, but it might be a good read for you to compare to others pre-existing builds.

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/ffxi-...allenge-2.html

Anyways, goodluck with the new setup.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Little Update on my Issue.. Purchased and assembled my New PC and installed Win XP Pro 32-bit. I must tell you guys that it runs like a dream! It wonderful! Red Alert 3 Graphics to the Max! Fallout 3 Runs so smoothly!! FFXI Works. Thank you to all who have given me all the advice!

CPU:
    INTEL CORE i7-920 2.66GHZ 8MB LGA1366 45NM 4.8GT/S

Motherboard:
    GIGABYTE EX58-UD4P INTEL X58 LGA 1366

Graphic Card:
    EVGA GTX260-SC 896MB ORE216 DDR3 (EV-GFGTX260-SC)

Memory:
    OCZ 12800/1600 3GB (3*1GB) CL8 DDR3 GOLD TRI CH. KIT

Just a mini-side note. Currently Experiencing "FFXI Texture Problems" as stating in this 2 Forum Topics below. It happens like a "Random Pause" for 5~8 Seconds.. Followed by a Messed up of Textures in-game.... Going to downgrade the Nvidia Drivers to 181.20 drivers to test it out!

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/tech/...rd-issues.html

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/tech/...-280-ffxi.html

ive had no issues with FFXI with my GTX 260's and 182.06 drivers so try them.Also maybe bad driver install do clean install of 182.06(dont just install them you need to uninstall the current driver restart in safemode run driver sweeper for NVIDIA display driver then restart and install new drivers)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I am having huge FPS problems with Core i7, GTX 285, and 3GB Ram on WinXP with FFXI lol... it only runs a little better than my laptop which is Core Duo 2.2GB, 2GB Ram, 8400M GS and running Vista...

I often dip to low teens on FPS when a lot of people are on screen...

As stated before, this game is heavily dependent on strong single core CPUs and that's why you see a lot of late P4 system runs this game a lot better than the new multicore systems...

Also, I think i7, is clock for clock lower in its single core then older CPUs (someone correct me on this), which can also lower FFXI performance... but yea... any help with increasing my FPS using my setup is appreciated greatly!

If you using Nvidia Card, turning the "Maximum Prerender Frame" higher actually makes the game run a lot smoother. I think this feature actually makes your CPU prepare more frame first which is a good thing for these old games.

I am running 182.05 for my GTX 285 right now... I think I should try 182.06 but it seems just like 182.05 with WHQL...

Quote Originally Posted by Tename View Post
    Also, I think i7, is clock for clock lower in its single core then older CPUs (someone correct me on this), which can also lower FFXI performance... but yea... any help with increasing my FPS using my setup is appreciated greatly!
    Its not the single core preformance is much better then older chips.1 of the games i play runs and will only use 1 core no matter what kind of CPU you have and it runs much much better now on i7 then it did on my old core 2 and at much higher rez and graphics settings

FFXI is now completly software bound on how well it can run and has been for 2-3 years.No matter how good the hardware its never ganna run at 30fps with a large group of ppl around. BUT run 2 or 3 clients at same time on an i7 and they will all run evenly as best as the software can handle i got around 15fps at kings camp when there packed.And with 2-3 characters they all running at the same 15 so the processor isent the problem.Try running 2-3 on a core 2 and see what you get i know for me they where all lower tho with single client open it runs the same now as befor.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by sunvision View Post

Just a mini-side note. Currently Experiencing "FFXI Texture Problems" as stating in this 2 Forum Topics below. It happens like a "Random Pause" for 5~8 Seconds.. Followed by a Messed up of Textures in-game.... Going to downgrade the Nvidia Drivers to 181.20 drivers to test it out!l[/url]
    Hi Again everyone!

Just to let everyone know, I have successfully downgraded my Nvidia Drivers to 181.20 Drivers.. and FFXI works completely Fine!! Its been 5~6 days now and the problem of "Messed Up Texture" never happened ever again!