+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Want Josh Freese to join your band? Got $75,000?

Want Josh Freese to join your band? Got $75,000? - Soundcheck - OCRegister.com

Chatting with Josh Freese on the phone for five minutes: $50.

Floating in a sensory-deprivation tank with Josh Freese, followed by dinner at Sizzler: $500.

Getting a signed snare from A Perfect Circle’s 2003 tour + dinner with Marilyn Manson bassist Twiggy Ramirez at Roscoe’s Chicken ‘n’ Waffles + you get to drive off with Josh Freese’s Volvo station wagon: $10,000.

Taking shrooms and cruising Hollywood with Danny Carey of Tool in his Lamborghini, then having Josh Freese join your band for a month: $75,000.

Josh Freese’s hilarious list of supposedly legit limited-edition packages for his next solo album, Since 1972: priceless.

“Uhhh … dude … who’s Josh Freese?”

OK, so most people probably don’t know Josh Freese, even those who live in his various Southern California stomping grounds.

Freese, a native Floridian who came of age in Orange County and currently resides in Long Beach, is a drumming virtuoso who has risen from being a 12-year-old prodigy backing a Top 40 covers band on the Tomorrowland Terrace at Disneyland to becoming one of the most sought-after session sticksmen in the biz.

He’s an official member of three bands: the Vandals (since 1989), Devo (since 1995) and, should it ever reconvene, A Perfect Circle (since 2000). (Since 1972, by the way, refers to when he was born, on Christmas Day.)

But he has played on more than 250 albums for almost as many artists, and of every stripe: Chris Cornell, Clay Aiken, Rob Zombie, Avril Lavigne, Rhett Miller, Puddle of Mudd, the Offspring, Kelly Clarkson, Good Charlotte, Daughtry, Ween, Gavin Rossdale, Katy Perry.

He was Nine Inch Nails‘ drummer for the past three years. He was (technically) Guns N’ Roses‘ drummer for three fairly inactive years at the end of the ’90s, and he contributed to Chinese Democracy, including co-writing the title track. He provided drums for the two new Replacements tracks on the 2006 compilation Don’t You Know Who I Think I Was? He backed Sting at Live 8.

Now, nine years after his solo debut The Notorious One Man Orgy, he’s adding a sophomore title to his resume. Like its predecessor, Since 1972 once again finds Freese playing virtually everything. Unlike its predecessor, it will come in 11 different incarnations.

Digital downloads are available starting March 24 exclusively at Freese’s site, for $7. The $15 CD/DVD combo arrives in stores April 14.

And then there are all these crazy special editions … some of which are wisely limited to just one very wealthy purchaser … while others are kinda crazily conceived. For $250, in addition to the combo, a T-shirt and a signed drum head and drumsticks, 25 different buyers will get to have lunch with Freese at either PF Chang’s or The Cheesecake Factory.

And there seems to be no limit on how many people can buy a five-minute call.
    Here’s the complete rundown:

$7
    Digital download of Since 1972, including 3 videos

$15
    CD/DVD double-disc set
    Digital download

$50
    CD/DVD double-disc set
    T-shirt
    “Thank you” phone call from Josh for buying Since 1972. You can tell him what you like about the record that you purchased, or what you thought sucked. Ask whatever you want, like “Is Maynard really THAT weird?” or “Which one of Sting’s mansions has the comfiest beds?” or “Are Devo really suburban robots that monitor reality or just a bunch of dads from Ohio?” or “Why don’t the Vandals play more stuff off the first record?” It’s your 5 minutes to yack it up. Talk about whatever you want.

$250 (limited edition of 25)
    Signed CD/DVD and digital download
    T-shirt
    Signed drum head and drumsticks
    Go on a lunch date with Josh to PF Changs or The Cheesecake Factory (whatever you’re into)

$500 (limited edition of 15)
    T-shirt
    Signed cymbal and sticks
    Meet Josh in Venice, Calif., and go floating together in a sensory-deprivation tank (to be filmed and posted on YouTube)
    Dinner at Sizzler (get your $8.99 steak and “all you can eat” shrimp on)

$1,000 (limited edition of 10)
    T-shirt
    Signed cymbal, drum head and drumsticks
    Josh washes your car OR does your laundry … or you can wash his car
    Have dinner with Josh aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Calif.
    Get drunk and cut each other’s hair in the parking lot of the Long Beach courthouse (filmed and posted on YouTube, of course)

$2,500 (limited edition of 5)
    Get a private drum lesson with Josh, or for all you non-drummers, have him give you a back and foot massage (couples welcome)
    Pick any 1 member of the Vandals or Devo (subject to availability) to accompany you and Josh to either the Hollywood Wax Museum or the lunch buffet at the Spearmint Rhino
    Signed DW snare drum
    Take 3 items of your choice out of his closet (first come, first serve)
    Change diapers and make bottles with him for an afternoon (after hitting the strip club)

$5,000 (limited edition of 3)
    T-shirt
    Josh writes a song about you and makes it available on iTunes
    Co-direct a video with him for the song about you and throw it up on the YouTubes
    Josh gives you and a friend a private tour of Disneyland
    Get drunk together. If you don’t drink, we can go to my dad’s place and hang out under the “Tuba tree”
    Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam will send you a letter telling you about his favorite song on Since 1972

$10,000 (limited edition of 1)
    T-shirt
    Signed DW snare drum from A Perfect Circle’s 2003 tour
    Josh gives you a private drum lesson OR his and hers foot/back massage (couples welcome, discreet parking)
    Twiggy from Marilyn Manson’s band and Josh take you and a guest to Roscoe’s Chicken ‘n’ Waffles in Long Beach for dinner
    Josh takes you and a guest to Club 33 (the super-duper exclusive and private restaurant at Disneyland located above Pirates of the Caribbean) and then hit a couple rides afterward (preferably the Tiki Room, the Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror)
    At the end of the day at Disneyland, drive away in Josh’s Volvo station wagon. It’s all yours … take it. Just drop him off on your way home, though, please.

$20,000 (limited edition of 1)
    T-shirt
    A signed drum from the 2008 Nine Inch Nails tour
    Maynard James Keenan, Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo and Josh take you miniature golfing and then drop you off on the side of the freeway (all filmed and posted on YouTube)
    Josh gives you a tour of Long Beach. See his first apartment, the coffee shop on 2nd Street where his buddy paid Dave Grohl $40 to rip up tile just weeks before joining Nirvana. See the old Vandals rehearsal spot, the liquor store he got busted at using a Fake ID when he was 17 (it was Dave from the Vandals’ old ID). Go check out Snoop Dogg’s high school. For an extra 50 bucks see where Tom and Adrian from No Doubt live. For another $25 he’ll show ya where Eric from NOFX and Brooks from Bad Religion get their hair cut.
    Spend the night aboard the Queen Mary and take the “Ghosts and Legends” tour. (Separate rooms … no spooning.)
    Josh writes 2 songs about you and both are made available on iTunes and appear on his next record (you can sing back up on ‘em, clap, play the drums, triangle, whatever)
    Drum lesson OR foot and back massage (once again … couples welcome and discreet parking available)
    Pick any 3 items out of Josh’s closet

$75,000 (limited edition of 1)
    T-shirt
    Go on tour with Josh for a few days
    Have Josh write, record and release a 5-song EP about you and your life story
    Take home any of his drum sets (only one, but you can choose which one)
    Take shrooms and cruise Hollywood in Danny from Tool’s Lamborghini OR play quarters and then hop on the Ouija board for a while
    Josh will join your band for a month … play shows, record, party with groupies, etc.
    If you don’t have a band he’ll be your personal assistant for a month (4-day work weeks, 10 am to 4 pm)
    Take a limo down to Tijuana and he’ll show you how it’s done (what that means exactly we can’t legally get into here)
    If you don’t live in Southern California (but are a U.S. resident) he’ll come to you and be your personal assistant/cabana boy for 2 weeks
    Take a flying trapeze lesson with Josh and Robin from NIN, go back to Robins place afterwards and his wife will make you raw lasagna

TL;DR - Drummer from The Vandals / A Perfect Circle will hang out with you, be in your band, bring you along to hang out with NIN / Marilyn Manson / TOOL band members and do shrooms and go to Tijuana and shit.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

When i saw APC, he played the concert on a broken leg, shit was bitchin'

Then he came out when we were waiting for our ride, and talked to us as they were walking to the bus.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

I don't personally like Josh Freese as a person, he seems really into the money of it all. But God Damn if he isn't the best drummer ever to live.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

He is not worth 75k. He's not bad, but he's no Chris Penny or Gabe Serbian ;/

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Huh. What a whore, but I'd still do something on that list for fun if I had the dough XD

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

If I was very wealthy and had money to throw away I would totally purchase one of those just for the lulz of it. Some of that stuff is hilarious and random.

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

I've read some strange shit, but this is up there.

I know it seems kinda lame that he's doing this for money, but at least he's doing it, lol. Giving fans a chance to hang out with you and some other musicians, do some shrooms and have him make a 5 song EP based on your life story? Not many people will ever have that done for them. $50,000-$75,000 pricetag makes it ridiculous, but it's still a cool idea.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I am not a musician myself but man the $75k one would be great....

"Take shrooms and cruise around in a Lamborghini"

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Want Josh Freese to join your band? Got $75,000? - Soundcheck - OCRegister.com

TL;DR - Drummer from The Vandals / A Perfect Circle will hang out with you, be in your band, bring you along to hang out with NIN / Marilyn Manson / TOOL band members and do shrooms and go to Tijuana and shit.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2386/...a9dfa358b3.jpg

If I had the money I would do it.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Needs moar extreme shit like: swimming w/ sharks, skydiving, rodeo clownning, runninng of the bulls, etc. all w/ Josh!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why not skydiving with sharks, rodeo clowning while on fire, or running of the bulls with c4 attached to their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    or running of the bulls with c4 attached to their bodies.
    I'd pay $75,000 to watch this.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

$500 (limited edition of 15)

* Signed CD/DVD and digital download
    * T-shirt
    * Signed cymbal and sticks
    * Meet Josh in Venice, Calif., and go floating together in a sensory-deprivation tank (to be filmed and posted on YouTube)
    * Dinner at Sizzler (get your $8.99 steak and “all you can eat” shrimp on)
    If I'm going to pay $500, I'd at least want to go to Applebees... God.

High House Shadow
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Artemas Artemas
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Well worth it. The man is amazing.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Would pay for this if it involved Neil Peart, but he wouldn't whore himself out like this guy apparently does. (and that's IF I had the money!) Yes, it's bad ass the guy drummed for NIN & APC. But Clay Aiken, Avril Lavigne?! Not to mention he had a part in releasing Chinese Democracy.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has talent. But he's no Peart.

What's wrong with doing drums for other bands/people? >_> Barker & Grohl do it all the time. Just 'cause they play a certain genre doesn't mean they can't.. "spread the wealth" to other genres. Especially when those other genres BLOW and lack any decent drummers. :>

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It also opens the door to the other artists to try their hands at another music style -- one at which they might do better (or worse) at, but real artists (Grohl for example) do it for fun, not for money.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Judging by how many bands this guy has played for and who he is I bet $75k is not much money to him and looking at what you get for the money this mostly is for fun and because its just crazy.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    What's wrong with doing drums for other bands/people? >_> Barker & Grohl do it all the time. Just 'cause they play a certain genre doesn't mean they can't.. "spread the wealth" to other genres. Especially when those other genres BLOW and lack any decent drummers. :>
    I guess it's just preference. I can't stand some of the bands he has drummed for. Grohl has drummed for some pretty good bands. I'm not too familiar with Barker's work, though I've heard he's multi-genre too.

Plus I just couldn't live with myself if I took part in releasing Avril Lavigne's music or Chinese Democracy onto the world. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Okan
    but real artists (Grohl for example) do it for fun, not for money.
    ^had to quote that for truth.