+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics You Should Read.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level

Comics You Should Read.

These are comics you should read. Either they are excellent or they are must-reads for their character. I am probably biased towards Superheros, and DC at that(and being even more specific: modern DC.) I am not even going to list a lot, because I think it would bog down someone else trying to give out suggestions. So please do.

You might not want to buy them. Understandable. When I download, I use Demonoid.com (requires membership) and 4chan/co/'s /rs/ - Rapidshares (not safe for work). I am sure public torrent sites work too, along with other type of sources. (Like Yahoo Groups? Whatever.)

You might need a "cbr" reader to open these files. Link to download at bottom of post.

Green Lantern
    Everything from "Green Lantern: Rebirth" and on. Geoff Johns has taken on the Green Lantern Corps(and his nostalgic love, Hal Jordan) as his own personal project and the dual series(Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps) has benefit from it greatly. This is personally my favorite on-going. To list it...

I've found a good torrent for this:
    Demonoid.com - Complete Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps War
    Great thing about this one it clearly presents a order to read it. It goes up to the Sinestro Corps. From there you would continue reading the two series which at the moment are apart of the whole "Rage of the Red Lanterns" arc and is heading towards the climatic "Blackest Night" DCU event. (PS: Skip the fucking terrible 3-part "CORPSE" story if you get to it, hardly canon)

There is a Green Lantern movie coming out Dec 2010. It features cameos from Guy Gardner(currently in my avatar), some other in-jokes, and even Alan Scott.

Justice Society of America
    The original JSA predates teams like the Justice League, Legion of Super-Heroes or even Marvel's Avengers. It was the first superhero team in the history of comics. Even in the DCU they are treated as such. A new series by Geoff Johns could be summed up by saying "The old heroes of yesterday train new heroes of tomorrow." This means you won't see characters like Superman or Batman, but you will see the original Green Lantern and the original Flash training unknowns like Stargirl and Damage. The cast is huge and constantly changing/growing. The series goes really deep within the DC universe, so it could be confusing for people new to it, but at the same time a great introduction. Johns has written two volumes, second ongoing. The second ties-in to Kingdom Come.

"JSA" (1st)
    Demonoid.com - JSA (1999-2006 series)

"Justice Society of America" (2nd)
    Demonoid.com - Justice Society of America (2007 series, to February 2009)

(I suggest skipping JSA Strage Adventurers and all of JSA Classified save the Power Girl arc if you like Power Girl. Maybe go back and read them, but they are not written by Johns for the most part and it suffers. If you want to make the download quicker, don't even download them)

Kingdom Come
    This takes place on an alternate DCU(Earth-22). It is in the future where Superman has retired and disappeared. Batman is old. "New Age" heroes are reckless and care little for civilians. The Spectre(an agent of vengeance who works under God) has asked a priest to help him judge who is at fault for a coming tragedy. The series is Alex Ross's masterpiece and has influenced the DCU long after it. The second volume of JSA ties into it. I could see this not being a good read for people who are new to DCU. It had a loosely-tied in sequel series named "The Kingdom." I found it to be pretty meh and ignored it.

Demonoid.com - Kingdom Come and The Kingdom

Superman

Morrison's All-Star Superman. Read this goddamn it. Read it. It is the best Superman story ever. Maybe my favorite comic series, ever. 12-part.

Demonoid.com - Complete All-Star Superman

The Walking Dead
    (Image's) On-going Zombie Apocalypse series. The depressing and hopeless kind. Incredibly compelling and addictive. If you want a good zombie story, you want to read this. In my opinion it beats anything we've seen concerning the subgenre. Again, a torrent:

Demonoid.com - The Walking Dead Issues 1-57

Watchmen
    I don't know if I need to introduce Alan Moore's Watchmen. A movie is being made. The book is certainly going to be better. I am unsure if it is better to watch the movie first or read the book first. You might either gain certain appreciation for the movie's little touches or you might find the movie underwhelming. A tip for those who read it for the first time: Don't ignore the "boring" pirate comic or in-universe media at the end of each issue. Or if you do, read it when you reread it. You'll find just how detailed the story is.

Demonoid.com - WATCHMEN #1-12 (1986) (Remixed) (High Res) (Minutemen-DTs&TheKid)

There are also narrated and animated "motion-comics." From what I've seen of them they are pretty entertaining and the narrator is really good.

Demonoid.com - Watchmen - Motion Comic 1-12

A cbr file is the preferred method of reading comics online. You can get a reader here:

CDisplay Comic Reader

Feel free to post your own suggestions. I am not quite finished(I haven't even gotten to Marvel yet), but this is enough for now. As many of these series are on-going these torrents won't contain the entire series and if they do, they will quickly be outdated.

Some Pictures to go along with the series I mentioned above.

Motherfucking huge Justice Society of America picture.

The Rest

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Bomb Queen.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Currently Reading:

Fables
    The Boys

Essential Reading

Maus

Preacher

Previous topic with the recommendations of others: http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/gener...endations.html

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

What about Morrison's run on Doom Patrol? also, Bendis' run on Daredevil!

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    What about Morrison's run on Doom Patrol? also, Bendis' run on Daredevil!
    Those are both really good. Bendis is best on Daredevil.

There is going to be a new Doom Patrol series... but it is going to be nothing like Morrison's work.

Seconding The Living Dead. I really enjoyed what I've read so far. The first volume had such good art, but the rest of them the art is nothing to write home about. If it wasn't for the excellent story and characters I wouldn't read it at all. That said, a definite must read for anyone who likes zombie stories.

I read the first Volume (not issue) of Y: The Last Man, a story about the last man on earth who survives a devastating virus that kills all the men, leaving only women. Oh yeah, and a male monkey. Good art (might take some getting used to, but it grows on you. I liked it from the start), good writing, characters and story. I need to read more to fully judge it, but so far I like what I see.

Not a huge Marvel fan, but I also read and loved The Runaways. A story about a bunch of teens who find out their parents are actually supervillians who run a powerful Organisation called The Pride. The teens rebel against their parents and the story is basically about them running away from their parents, the authorities and just about everything else. The art isn't good at first, but it grows on you a lot and it's certainly interesting. The best thing is the writing/story and characters. Give it a chance, you may like it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Every single issue Paul Dini has written for Detective Comics, and that one recent Batman issue he wrote. I think there are three trades out with his stuff, but I don't know of any batch downloads of his run.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Sandman
    I remember when I started reading this comic series when it was still coming out with new issues. It was hard to want to read anything else during that time heh. Great series with fantastic stories heavily involved with mythology.

Transmetropolitan
    This was just fun to read. Hard to imagine reading being fun but this made me look forward to seeing each issue. Not for suspense but for the sheer ridiculousness of so many situations. Listen to the chair leg of truth! It does not lie!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Sandman, Bone, V for Vendetta, offhand...

Plenty of good Batman stuff too, Long Halloween, Year One, etc. I like the Child of Dreams one too, manga done by the guy who did Nadesico. Interesting take anyway.

Even though manga are still technically comics, it might not be the best idea to list them here.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

sweet thread, ive been wanting to get into green lantern for a while but had no idea where to start.

any recommendations for Green Arrow? i love him in most of the crossover events

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Even though manga are still technically comics, it might not be the best idea to list them here.
    The one I mentioned is Batman though, which is why I mentioned it there. Version I have is hardcover, standard graphic novel size print, read right to left, etc. It's basically Batman as done by an established manga writer/artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    The one I mentioned is Batman though, which is why I mentioned it there. Version I have is hardcover, standard graphic novel size print, read right to left, etc. It's basically Batman as done by an established manga writer/artist.
    My bad then, carry on.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

100 Bullets

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Identity Crisis is probably my favorite comic story. it made me realize how epic DC is. From what i can tell Marvel would never deal with some of the subject matter in here.

Demonoid.com - Identity Crisis (2004 series) 1-7 of 7

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

X-Factor and X-Force are getting really good at the moment.
    Also, the X-Infernus story arc is a pretty good read.
    Other than that, nothing great/good happening in Marvel. They've relocated to San Fran, and Kitty Pryde's lost in space (all old news, so 2008).

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Kenjimanga.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_(manga)
    a classic, I remember reading this when I was a kid, was so awesome..

if anyone have access to the scan of this manga, PM me

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Holy shit BRP I love you.

Superman: Birthright
    Superman: Secret Identity
    Ultimates & Ultimates 2

I'll come up with more later.

Banned.

BG Level

I am going to post more stuff later today.

I am posting a lot of demonoid links. If anyone wants a invitation code, I am willing to give some out. It is probably best if you have SOME interest in the thread's topic though. Otherwise you should just wait until I dump them on SPAM like I usually do. Or you could lie. Either way, ask via PM please.

Mae

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    any recommendations for Green Arrow? i love him in most of the crossover events
    The Quiver arc is amazing and is the only thing worth reading since GA's revival, imo.

Top 5:
    Preacher
    The Sandamn
    Transmetropolitan
    Batman:Year One
    Watchmen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast