+ Reply to Thread
    Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Is the Metroid Prime series anything like the original Metroid series?

I've considered Metroid Prime 3 (never played the first two), but the only reason I haven't tried it is because it doesn't seem like it can really be like the original Metroid/Super Metroid games.

Is Metroid Prime 1/2/3 mostly an FPS with some adventure elements, or is it mostly an action/adventure game with some FPS elements? Does it still have the same sense of exploration and hunting for secrets and upgrades and such that Super Metroid had?

I don't want to get it, expecting something like Super Metroid but in first person, and be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    I've considered Metroid Prime 3 (never played the first two), but the only reason I haven't tried it is because it doesn't seem like it can really be like the original Metroid/Super Metroid games.

Is Metroid Prime 1/2/3 mostly an FPS with some adventure elements, or is it mostly an action/adventure game with some FPS elements? Does it still have the same sense of exploration and hunting for secrets and upgrades and such that Super Metroid had?

I don't want to get it, expecting something like Super Metroid but in first person, and be disappointed.
    Yes, it does still have the same sense of exploration and hunting for secrets and upgrades. It's pretty much as you said...it's mostly an action/adventure game with some FPS elements.

Get it. You'll enjoy it.

I personally loved the transistion of Metroid to full 3D. I think Metroid Prime was a fantastic game, with 3 being just as good (2 was ok, but not quite what the first was).

To answer your question I'd say its much more of an adventure/puzzle game with some basic FPS elements. Re-visiting locations after you unlock better upgrades to delve further into the area to get that last missile pack/energy tank is common like any metroid game.

Now goddamnit I want to go play MP1 again...

I'm not sure about MP2 and 3, but in the first one it tells you exactly where you need to go at each step in the game. It'd be hella hard without it, like Super Metroid, but you can turn it off in the menu. Regardless of whether you use it or not, the game is still mostly exploration.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

1 the best and most adventurey
    3 is the second best and is the most fps actiony (though still metroidy)
    2 is the worst (but still good) and somewhere in between.

1 and 2 are going to be rereleased with Wii controls later this year, it might be worth waiting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin View Post
    1 and 2 are going to be rereleased with Wii controls later this year, it might be worth waiting for that.
    Didnt know this, I'll probably fall for it and get them both out of my love for the first.

I would've preferred they transitioned from 2D to third-person perspective with the option to first person, but we got what we got. Just feels like a shame to rarely see Samus herself short of little cutscenes or the quick zoom out into ball form. Plus it's pretty obvious they made some bosses "harder" by simply making them hard to keep them or projectiles they launch in view.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxthepenguin View Post
    1 the best and most adventurey
    3 is the second best and is the most fps actiony (though still metroidy)
    2 is the worst (but still good) and somewhere in between.

I heard about that, I'm definitely looking to pick that up when its released. Are the Wii controls actually superior to using a pad? Kinda like RE 4 Wii was actually a step up.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Metroid prime 1 is the most similar to metroid/super metroid, and IMO was the best of the three. Personally I couldn't stand the metroid prime 3 controls, mostly because of the lean or whatever it's called that every Wii FPS seems to have, where aiming in a direction doesn't immediately turn you in that direction, rather it will only lean your arm/gun until you reach the side of the screen than it will let you turn.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think I might be the only person who enjoyed 2 the most. I really liked the atmosphere of the dark version of the world, and the fact that you couldn't survive long outside of the light beacons.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

I'm about to get yelled at by some people, but I was 110% disappointed with the transition to 3D. SNES Metroid is by far, in my opinion, the best of the series only because I love the straight up 2d side scrolling adventure over the fps style. But, totally my opinion...I'm sure it's a great game, just not for me ;3

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    Metroid prime 1 is the most similar to metroid/super metroid, and IMO was the best of the three. Personally I couldn't stand the metroid prime 3 controls, mostly because of the lean or whatever it's called that every Wii FPS seems to have, where aiming in a direction doesn't immediately turn you in that direction, rather it will only lean your arm/gun until you reach the side of the screen than it will let you turn.
    This, and one hundred times the disappointment of the Wii controls. I still loved the game, but I had to get around the slow turning. Why did they make the A button the default shoot/primary function? Trigger B button should have been (and that's what I had to change it to).

A better function for turning could have been implemented. I think that precise aiming (slow or minimal moving of the 'mote) would allow Samus to stand still and aim, while quick look-around aiming (such as trying to relocate a fly-by enemy quickly) would be used when moving the 'mote quickly or in longer movements.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I was amazed @ the transition Metroid did from 2D to 3D, get Metroid Prime and you will fall in love and buy the other two.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I was so pissed off when I heard the news that Metroid was not only going 3D, but going FPS. I had always despised console FPSs and how every damn franchise was losing touch when they made that unnecessary shift to 3 dimensions. Ever since Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was a huge success, I hoped every other company would realize they could use their resources to make an absolutely gorgeous, long, and in-depth 2D platformer instead of a crappy, budget 3D adventure. I was praying that Nintendo would make another "Super Metroid."

Then, it came out and, of course, I was obligated by loyalty to purchase it immediately to be inevitably disappointed. I was very wrong. I don't think they could have done a better job implementing the exploration/adventure/action/platforming of the original Metroid series into a FPS perspective. I still am amazed that they pulled it off. We all saw what happened to Castlevania when it went 3D.

Of course, consoles have their shortcomings vs. WASD + mouse of a PC, but it was probably the best they could have done to not ruin the game by making in unmaneuverable, as there are quite a lot of jumping, swinging, etc puzzles. I think the game is gorgeous, especially for its time, and a huge success in maintaining the Metroid feel with a massive shift in gameplay genre.

Metroid Prime > Corruption > Echoes (obviously)

Though I would still be happy as a clam if anyone could drop the whole FPS/3rd person action thing for a minute and create an amazing high-budget big-franchise 2D game for a nex gen console. I am tired of these projects getting dumped onto handhelds like they are of some inferior design.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

For me what bothered me wasn't really the change to FPS but the fact that it's a "silent game" where there's little story interaction or communication with anything other than the encyclopedia entries. This gives you this feeling like you're completely alone exploring which I guess is what they were going for but a cutscene every once in a while would have been nice.

This is a little better in Echoes but you either love the controls or you hate them and it pissed you off so much that you stop playing Wii games altogether for weeks at a time.

I don't love the controls.