Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

BLU Tanking Gear/Spells/Sub job

I used the search function and couldn't find anything towards these questions.
    But I've heard a bit about people using BLU's to tank sometimes.

What spells do you spam for hate?

What sub jobs are best for what situations? And why?

What gear do you use when you tank?

Unless you're super-tanking something(Einherjar, for instance, and that's still debatable), you're infinitely better off tanking on your Red Mage.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adrianne Lehmen
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura View Post
    Unless you're super-tanking something(Einherjar, for instance, and that's still debatable), you're infinitely better off tanking on your Red Mage.
    I guess if you're talking about damage taken, it's still debatable (although damage taken on both jobs is laughable at best) but I'd rather have something to toss out AoE defense down, evasion down, etc.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

BLU got 3 things better than RDM tanking.
    1) ability to make omgwtfbbqhate with Diffusion + Exuviation
    2) an extremely reliable stun that you can manage to cast at your wish
    3) access to 3 quite high hate spells, but all of them are AOE

But RDM also got many things better than BLU tanking.

Bottom line: Both could get the job done in their own way.

I didn't say that they couldn't both get the job done, but unless there's a special circumstance, Red Mage is extraordinarily more efficient and durable. I'm simply advising him to utilize the job that fluently take on the role, rather than trying to squeeze the ability to do so out of another.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Blue Mage tanks Magic Damage stuff better thanks to Saline Coat.

Even if a 410 HP Stoneskin weren't all the means necessary to make that untrue, 66 MP per minute for a magic defense that's only superior ~80% of the time is hardly impressive

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Last time I checked, Blue Mage can get 410 Stoneskin from wearing the Stone Gorget and Mufflers with a Scholar using Accession.

Last time I checked, requiring other jobs to perform up to par with another job that requires no such assistance would be..

..Oh, this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuko_Asura View Post
    I didn't say that they couldn't both get the job done, but unless there's a special circumstance, Red Mage is extraordinarily more efficient and durable. I'm simply advising him to utilize the job that fluently take on the role, rather than trying to squeeze the ability to do so out of another.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

/sigh
    If the OP decides he wants to tank as a RDM
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/ffxi-...taken-set.html
    has relevant links and data.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

A Red Mage tank still requires support, the only difference is your main healer would have to be Scholar to get the Stoneskin effect.

Tanking on blu is for fun, not necessarily the best, but it sure can get the job done. Some posts so far that you shouldn't listen to- Saline Coat is not very useful, it diminishes very quick, it is however extremely useful on Ultima but that is a very specific circumstance, if you tank JoL I wouldnt bother with it, head butt is not a reliable stun on HNM's or even gods so I wouldnt use it either, your reliable stun is Temporal shift which is available every 90 seconds. Ignore the talk about rdm tanking, I believe you just asked for for gear and spell choice, not someone's opinion on what is a better tank. Most likely rdm is but who cares, go have some fun and explore the game. I have rdm, blu, pld and nin, have tanked with them all and enjoy blu the most. It requires alot of difficult gear to be good at though and if you read that blue mage tanking thread I believe I posted my gear sets, spell choice, casting orders, macros, etc. Have fun
    -Nicho