+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Introducing the Square Enix Security Token

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics.../4188/4188.jpg
    As a result of growing account security concerns within the online gaming community, Square Enix is proud to introduce the Square Enix Security Token. The token greatly increases the security of PlayOnline accounts by allowing users to log on by using a constantly changing one-time password that is displayed on the screen. The Square Enix Security Token will be available for purchase through the PlayOnline Viewer in the near future for those who wish to take advantage of the added security this optional service provides. As a special incentive, each Square Enix Security Token will come with an exciting in-game bonus which may just prove indispensible during your many adventures in Vana'diel!

Information on the Security Token's release date and price, as well as further details regarding the in-game bonus, will be announced at a later date.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

OH MY GOD YES

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by fusionx View Post
    each Square Enix Security Token will come with an exciting in-game bonus which may just prove indispensible during your many adventures in Vana'diel!
    Mog house padlock?

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that they bothered manufacture this considering the relatively small playbase who would actually want to use this. Props to them for actually doing it.

posting in epic thread

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Wonder how this would work just looks like a thing with a button and screen on it. If RMT figure out the program in it and if there is some pattern to it won't it make your account less secure?

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Wow...looks nice!

If anyone has the Blizzard equivalent, how does that work exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    Wonder how this would work just looks like a thing with a button and screen on it. If RMT figure out the program in it and if there is some pattern to it won't it make your account less secure?
    Lol.

I am not a good communicator, so I am going to let someone else fill in the details. Long story short, governments are unable to break this type of security so I don't think RMT are going to have much luck.

The weak link in the chain will be SE's servers.. if they can hack those, they might as well print their own gil.

With one of these, your account will be incredibly safe*. If your account has any value and these are affordable, you would be brain dead retarded not to get one of these.

(Assuming they followed the RSA instruction manual.)

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

it's great that they're starting to act like they care, but i'll get the same job done by just not being a roaring fucking retard. anyone that has been hacked did something stupid. not changing their password immediately after being stupid counts as being stupid.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Toth View Post
    If anyone has the Blizzard equivalent, how does that work exactly?
    This. I'm interested in how Blizzard implemented it.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

edit: lernt to read

Might be kind of annoying now that I wont be able to login to my wife's account unless I call her.

Quote Originally Posted by rezn0r View Post
    it's great that they're starting to act like they care, but i'll get the same job done by just not being a roaring fucking retard. anyone that has been hacked did something stupid. not changing their password immediately after being stupid counts as being stupid.
    Ya, because everyone that is not a security expert is a roaring fucking retard.[/sarcasm]

There is no way for the average person to know what to do in order to be safe outside of not playing ffxi on a PC at all.

Everyone has advice on what to do to be safe, but that advice conflicts and unless you already know everything you can't tell for certain which advice is good and what is not.

I work with security everyday, and you just can't judge people for not knowing what to do all of the time.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Could be great but I definitely won't be an early adopter with how infested with bugs any new feature SE introduces tends to be. Also price point is an issue historically as well(hi2u dynamis lord statue)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

If it is like anything that my dad used for his password to log into his business's network from home, there is like a 9 digit number that appears on the screen, which is your password. There is only a certain amount of time that you can use that password, though. When you want to log in, just type the number that is on the device's screen as your password and it should work, provided that the number didn't change while you were inputing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eticket View Post
    ThinkGeek :: Mandylion Password Manager

I'd rather just stick with this instead of buying just one for FFXI
    It won't help you at all.

(Last I checked), your password is stored unencrypted and in plain text TWICE when you are logged in.

Any program that manages to sneak on your computer can get your password no matter how you entered it...

The only way to be safe is for that password to only be valid ONE TIME. If an attacker gets the password once you already used it, it simply won't work again.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I approve. Pretty cool.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Devek View Post
    It won't help you at all.

(Last I checked), your password is stored unencrypted and in plain text TWICE when you are logged in.

Any program that manages to sneak on your computer can get your password no matter how you entered it...

The only way to be safe is for that password to only be valid ONE TIME. If an attacker gets the password once you already used it, it simply won't work again.
    Ah. Misread it.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Eticket View Post
    ThinkGeek :: Mandylion Password Manager

I'd rather just stick with this instead of buying just one for FFXI
    i haven't read anything more than that link and this post yet but i'm nearly positive that doesn't do what this does, and this doesn't do what that does

(edit: sorry, posted before seeing both second posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Devek View Post
    Ya, because everyone that is not a security expert is a roaring fucking retard.[/sarcasm]

There is no way for the average person to know what to do in order to be safe outside of not playing ffxi on a PC at all.

Everyone has advice on what to do to be safe, but that advice conflicts and unless you already know everything you can't tell for certain which advice is good and what is not.

I work with security everyday, and you just can't judge people for not knowing what to do all of the time.
    i hypothetically called a lot of people a "roaring fucking retard", i didn't personally call you anything (unless your ffxi account got jacked, and then i really don't believe that you work with security every day. note: i'm not calling you out right now, i'm assuming your ffxi account hasn't gotten jacked).

i honestly believe that every single person who has gotten "hacked" in this game either trusted someone they shouldn't have, ran a program they shouldn't of (ie: cheating almost all of the time), or were just plain god damn stupid (following a link to buy gil, <insert anything else here>, etc). lying and claiming that you got hacked to be a scumbag yourself counts as well.

it doesn't take a lot to not-get "hacked" with an account like this. i said it's great they are trying to act like they care, blah blah blah, i just feel this is pretty useless at this stage in the game. if you don't then invest in it, that rocks.

edit/i typed should've when i should've typed shouldn't have

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

They use the same thing at the airforce/NASA base near my house, my dad has one and so did my brother. Works like a charm for them, I'll be for sure getting one!

Although . . it is SE . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast