BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Static With Headphones Plugged In

Recently got new headphones (big thanks to you tech for them btw) and now that I'm using them more often than my speakers I'm realizing I get a lot of weird static if I have them just plugged into my 3.5mm jack in the tower, I don't really notice this static when I'm using my speakers (by not notice I mean it's not audibly there, I'm guessing it is but I just don't notice it)

Is this just an old sound card from my computer or is there something I can change in some settings tucked away somewhere to get rid of this static?

On a side note, I don't get this weird static in something like WoW (which has sound disabled), only on things that basically revolve around the desktop. It's not a huge issue seeing as I don't really notice it when I'm listening to music, but if I ever watch a TV Show or Movie when there's no dialogue or music or anything I can hear it, and it's kind of annoying.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

Not really sure of the problem you're having, but do you have windows volume set to 100%? Are your headphones pushed all the way in?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

You could be getting static interference. As well probably have a shitty SNR(signal to noise ratio)

Before i picked up a new sound card and just plugged into the on board i would receive a lot of static when out side of game and no static inside.

An external DAC/AMP or new sound card would most likely fix the issue as well if you are not into getting a new sound card.

Another option could be trying out a cmoy amp. Google "build your own cmoy" if you are a diy guy/girl and make one, they are cheap if you can do it yourself.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

try the rear port (if you have one), my Front panel connector has some terrible static as well and this is on a good sound card. Its likely interference its picking up from something in your computer.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by levish View Post
    try the rear port (if you have one), my Front panel connector has some terrible static as well and this is on a good sound card. Its likely interference its picking up from something in your computer.
    that seems to be the trouble, my speakers were always plugged into the back port.

although the cmoy amp sounds like fun, i'll maybe build one.

Resident furfag
    BG Level

The cmoy is more for portable stuff I believe. Amps are all good and fun, but it isn't going to make shitty headphones good, and isn't helpful on headphones that already get enough power.

Home Theatre Aficionado
    BG Level

If you are using the front panel connectors, that is likely the problem. Cheap onboard sound cards will pick up emi from video and HDD on the cables used for the front panel. Try plugging into the back ports, or moving the cable for the front panel audio away from the video card and sata cables.