Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Joyeuse vs. Mercurial Sword PLD/DNC

I'm curious if anyone has done any extensive testing on what is more efficient for PLD/DNC. Joyeuse with a shield or Mercurial Sword. If anyone has researched or has found research on this topic please post it, I'm curious because it has been debated a bit and neither side seems to have much proof to back it up.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I would have to say Joyuse. If not simply because you can use a Shield with it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Well, that's what alot of people say, but I think Mercurial would do better, both through increased damage and (most likely) more TP then Joyeuse. But again, no one has really tested it from what I've seen. So I'm hoping to find some info on this.

Joyeuse, without question. Shield Mastery is going to even the TP gain, and blocking as a whole is going to mitigate a very large amount of damage.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I assume this is for campaign and soloing, definitely Joyeuse/Shield. I used to own a Mercurial Sword and that got sold pretty damn fast after Great Axe skill was capped. The base damage on Merc Sword is ridiculously low, 26, so you will not see an increase in damage over Joytoy and the TP gain between the two is pretty even. And like others said, with Shield Mastery you'll take a lot less damage and make up for the TP difference. If you want to DD PLD with a GSword get Perdu/Subduer/Algol. Also, Atonement is simply broken over any GSword WS for PLD.

Well it depends what you're fighting, if whatever it is weak, and can't hit you much / do much dmg to you when it does, then the GS may be better for dot. If you find yourself needed to rest because the mobs are kicking your ass however, go for the shield option.

Personally I'd use Joy.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's just plain silly if not down right stupid not to stick with sword and shield. Toss in Atonement into the equation and the solution to your problem is solved.

Atonement + Shield. The end.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Not to mention Joyeuse has rediculously low delay, 224. With Turban and 3 pieces of homam and swift belt thats 18% haste, ~40 delay reduction, now your swinging a decent DMG sword with 184 delay which attacks twice. The animation will be quite quick, you'll never stop swinging if you keep double attacking. Use sentinel Shield for a lil extra delay reduction.

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by hagun View Post
    It's just plain silly if not down right stupid not to stick with sword and shield. Toss in Atonement into the equation and the solution to your problem is solved.
    Atonement: Solving your solutions since 2008.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I realize that everyone says Joyeuse, but, I was wondering if people had data, not opinions or assumptions. And I also don't have atonement, don't feel like going up 100 floors of Nyzul Isle to get it yet. I'm too lazy.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Get joyeuse anyway, it makes everything easy.

Also, sell Merc sword and get cooler things

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Typo on Mercurial Sword it actually swings 2-4x. But anyway PLD is B in GS which caps them at 250, which is pretty lousy compared to 276 Sword. The DM rating is also lower than joyeuse. 26 vs 35, and it has higher delay. So Joyeuse will actually put up better dot while giving you better TP due to lower delay and higher accuracy. Also more TP with shield from shield mastery and lower damage taken.

Joyeuse wins 10/10 times against Mer.sword.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Mercurial Sword also has ridiculously low damage for the delay, even granting the multiswing. Mercurial is skillup; Joyeuse is not just more appropriately damage-rated for 75, it also doesn't suffer the extreme damage penalties that post-RoZ multihit weapons get hit with.

Also, whether you're in a group situation or solo, spamming waltzes is going to keep the monster punching you a lot. You'll want a shield. You can afford a DD-focused shield, such as tatami or sentinel (or whatever you may have access to). You should know what a difference Shield Mastery makes to your TP gain when you're being punched.

There's probably a good reason you haven't seen hard facts and data, by the way. This is pretty clear-cut. There is a huge, basic discrepancy going on here.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Acidious View Post
    I realize that everyone says Joyeuse, but, I was wondering if people had data, not opinions or assumptions. And I also don't have atonement, don't feel like going up 100 floors of Nyzul Isle to get it yet. I'm too lazy.
    Should probably not worry about playing PLD then if you're too lazy to not suck balls at it?

Thorshammer

Mercurial Sword = skill up item... nothing else!

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Should probably not worry about playing PLD then if you're too lazy to not suck balls at it?
    Maybe I should have clarified, my PLD isn't 75. I'm not able to get it yet. DRG75 has been to lazy to get to floor 100. Thanks Sath nice to know you are supportive.

Regardless of the fact Joyeuse will probably beat Mercurial sword, I'm just curious to see if anyone tested it. Thanks to the people who weren't rude.

assburgers
    BG Level

I watched a guy skilling up with it... I did on War/Dnc, and I'd never give up the TP hax that is shield master + joytoy for Pld/Dnc if I couldn't have Retaliation for the 2hed weapon.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

if retaliation was subbale it'd take some of the umph from /sam and make /war a good sub again i think.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yeah, no.