+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

so i need to write a speech on how old people are unsafe drivers..

whats youre guys' opinions on this matter?

and how the hell should i find sources for this (articles, books, etc) besides googling "old drivers"? :/

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Toss in a couple of statistics...yada yada.

I remember when trying to prove a point to my Dad I was looking up accident statistics for different demographics, that should work pretty well. When I was doing it I wanted to do it I was only trying to prove differences between men and women and teens vs 20-30 year olds, but with how easy that was to find I can't imagine it being hard to find statistics for elderly.

Personal opinion- Fuck old drivers, most drive slow as hell and don't know what the fuck is going on, I hate living in a city with a large population of elderly. Before my grandma died my entire family tried to convince her to stop driving since her sight had deteriorated to the point where she could hardly see anything at all but she was too stubborn to stop driving, even though we offered to drive her wherever she needed to go.

South Park episode.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Best way to go about making a valid argument is correlating statistics with factual reports.

If you need to find proper sources online, at least find ones that are .org/.gov/.edu and try to avoid .coms (and only use wiki to find articles, don't quote from wiki).

Find articles about research in cognitive responses in the elderly and the mature/young. That's a huge spread and is very relevant to your topic. I'd help you search but my article database is located at school and I can't access it from my laptop.

and the traveler
    BG Level

that link that correction just gave you is brilliant. just discuss general obvious things and really drive the point home that he killed people, and dont just say it in a matter-of-fact tone, consider it as if he killed your family. hell, you can even say that.

also, sticking statistics in a speech can be both helpful and harmful depending on your usage- try to limit spouting off numbers as they wont help you connect to the audience and deliver a better performance!

good luck~

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Also generalizing an entire demographic can hurt your speech.

Banned.

BG Level

why a speech? just be like "does anyone in here actually like old ppl drivers?" and everyone will be like "NO" and youll be set brobro

yeah but i need to talk for at least 6mins :/

and thanks for the help so far, BG

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Go to your university/college's library database. You should be able to find lots of info for the subject. Don't forget medical journals to support your cause, and stay away from wiki, such a garbage place for legit infos.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Bring in an elderly driver for an expert opinion. You don't have to bring them in, I'm sure they'll just park in the classroom.

Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    Bring in an elderly driver for an expert opinion. You don't have to bring them in, I'm sure they'll just park in the classroom.
    You don't have to invite them either, they'll just show up

PubMed has tons of references, if you're going to school you should have some way of getting access. I got the following refs just by searching pubmed for "driving + older" probably don't need to get into the statistics too much, just read introductions and/or conclusions to find out what the point of the article is if you just want to make a quick six minute speech.

PubMed Home

1: J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2009 Feb;64(2):300-5. Epub 2009 Jan 30.
    Driving status and three-year mortality among community-dwelling older adults.

1: Appl Ergon. 2009 Mar 5. [Epub ahead of print]
    Transfer of computer-based training to simulated driving in older adults.

1: Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009 Jan 6.
    Biopsychosocial differences between drivers and non-drivers over the age of 74.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    This is true because their motor skill diminishes as they get older.

Old Merits
    BG Level

scholar.google.com is a nice resource which is a little more user friendly than pubmed and other traditional academic and peer reviewed journal search engines.

elderly drivers - Google Scholar

This search gives a lot of results that are not news/opinion but rather various scientific studies that will give your arguments a lot more weight.

***I should add that you're mostly going to get abstracts and you will have trouble getting the whole article but you can usually get the main points from the abstract alone.

omg wow thank you so much for pubmed and google scholar :DDDDDDD!!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Live in Florida for 3 hours and you could write a filibuster.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Google scholar is relevant to my internets.