Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

What level is Campaign worth it?

So im leveling PLD as my next job and i was wondering at what level can i go to campaign and have it be worth it? If i sit there and just spam cure myself with a fake hate macro will i generate good exp at lower levels?

60+ is when you gain full experience points. Prior to that, your exp turnout will be hindered considerable.

Not to mention due to all the BRD silliness they changed the values of reward that magic grants you anyway. I'd say high 50s low 60s is probably a good place.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

For PLD or any job that gets most of their points from meleeing it's not really worth it until 60+. Make sure you take a semi-decent melee setup with you as well (enough accuracy to hit the mobs), don't try to tank yourself till 65+ or you may end up dead faster than you realise and make use of Sigil bonuses (regen and refresh). If you can bring a mage friend with you and party up, 50+ can work as well, biggest problem in the 50s for most melees is just surviving the AoE spam that the mobs can do. Just sitting in zone and spamming cures/buffs on yourself was nerfed horribly not too long ago. Even the points from curing others are nowhere near what you can get from just grabbing your weapon and attacking the mobs directly, hence you only see meleeing mages in campaign.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

When i was lvling rdm, i found it incredibly annoying to tryand get points via healing. But once i hit 70/72 i was able to melee with decent acc and get tons of points. can get points by healing...but i wouldnt recommend it at all.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

If i have the very best acc gear and use sushi, could i go in as low as 50? If i remember points are somewhat based on the damage you do so this may not work but any idea?

Scratch that i guess, its not really viable before SH or Haub i dont think for the ACC gear

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
    If i have the very best acc gear and use sushi, could i go in as low as 50? If i remember points are somewhat based on the damage you do so this may not work but any idea?

Scratch that i guess, its not really viable before SH or Haub i dont think for the ACC gear
    50? Fields of Valor will net you more.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Unless you're aiming to do Campaigns to rake up some AN or desperately need to rank up, or your playtimes are so iffy that you can't party, there's no reason to stress out on a job like PLD that can get invites in minutes. You'll level up easy enough in normal XP parties and just go do campaign when it's convenient to do so.

EDIT: And yeh, what Stig said, stick to FoVs for lower levels.

assburgers
    BG Level

I was tanking some at 55, I was soloing imps at 58, could have started lower, soloing wimpier grunts at 60~, soloing pairs of grunts from 66+.

I mostly spammed the Xarc FoV til 60 when you start getting asked to kill mobs which often pop TW.

i'm pld 62 but i'm getting awful tired of 4th rate parties with people who bail after 5 fights or afk constantly. how obscenely good would my gear have to be to get any decent chunk of xp in campaign? would a pedestrian build sporting af, sh, potent, chiv, and a few other bits and pieces inherited from other jobs be enough to stand a chance? i'm guessing /nin for survivability? all my other jobs i take to campaign are mage jobs, so i'm not really sure how evasive or tough the mobs would be on a job with a weapon that's not laughably useless. i'm just trying to get a feel for what a "semi decent" melee setup would be or if i'm not going to hit the mark w/ it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You don't need survivability, you won't be holding hate off of anyone at level 62 and you won't be soloing unless you're 65+ and subbing Dancer.

assburgers
    BG Level

Um... 60+ with just decent gear /Dnc you can solo lesser grunts, like Yag Martyrs, No'Mho's guards, Dark Ele's... and you hold hate if you try, people are bitches in Campaign.

I've had fucking lvl 75 Pld's come up and start meleeing things I was fighting as a lvl 60~65 Pld without trying to take hate.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkio View Post
    i'm pld 62 but i'm getting awful tired of 4th rate parties with people who bail after 5 fights or afk constantly. how obscenely good would my gear have to be to get any decent chunk of xp in campaign? would a pedestrian build sporting af, sh, potent, chiv, and a few other bits and pieces inherited from other jobs be enough to stand a chance? i'm guessing /nin for survivability? all my other jobs i take to campaign are mage jobs, so i'm not really sure how evasive or tough the mobs would be on a job with a weapon that's not laughably useless. i'm just trying to get a feel for what a "semi decent" melee setup would be or if i'm not going to hit the mark w/ it.
    What Ultimagi said, you don't need /NIN for survivability on PLD ever really (in campaign), you're either so low a level you won't tank and at higher levels the normal mobs are sissies for a PLD to handle whatever they sub. And yeh that melee setup sounds more than enough, I'm not having any problems on my 64BLU at the moment and that's being campaigned in mostly AF/Vermy/SH and random accessories from my other jobs. The normal campaign mobs have the evasion of roughly coffer mobs or slightly tougher than that, if you can hit lvl 60ish XP mobs you're fine. I would recommend you avoid NMs though, their AoE attacks can pretty much one-shot low-level players and while those attacks are usually absorbed by utsusemi it's not worth it to sub /NIN just for the NMs. Going /DNC will mean you more points whatever your level and /WHM is free reraise 66+.

assburgers
    BG Level

I can't find that chart that lists the various categories for Campaign and the point totals for each, but basically: do as many different things as you can.

Self buffs
    JA's
    Swing count
    Spell cast count
    Raises
    Other buffs
    Damage dealt
    Damage taken
    Damage cured
    Debuffs
    Enmity generated
    Initial Aggro

If you run down that list, Pld/Dnc easily hits every single one of those with a huge toolbox available to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilia View Post
    What Ultimagi said, you don't need /NIN for survivability on PLD ever really (in campaign), you're either so low a level you won't tank and at higher levels the normal mobs are sissies for a PLD to handle whatever they sub. And yeh that melee setup sounds more than enough, I'm not having any problems on my 64BLU at the moment and that's being campaigned in mostly AF/Vermy/SH and random accessories from my other jobs. The normal campaign mobs have the evasion of roughly coffer mobs or slightly tougher than that, if you can hit lvl 60ish XP mobs you're fine. I would recommend you avoid NMs though, their AoE attacks can pretty much one-shot low-level players and while those attacks are usually absorbed by utsusemi it's not worth it to sub /NIN just for the NMs. Going /DNC will mean you more points whatever your level and /WHM is free reraise 66+.
    reason i was thinking /nin was b/c a nice, happy battle dance will put me out for 5 minutes of weak and another 4 while someone or something comes around to raise me. i guess i need to lvl /dnc then. gogo fov this weekend i suppose. thanks for the input.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Max, this might be the list you're talking about but it's from last summer and I'm pretty sure the points are slightly out of date nowadays.
    Campaign Point Calculation - BGWiki

And there's huge differences between the difficulty of various enemy troops and the zones the troops prefer, I find Windurst areas the easiest for lower levels, San D'Oria's orcs have the worst bosses and AoEs and tend to often come with the gnole horde and warmachines and god knows what that can still one-shot you at 75. Plus, Orcish counterstance is total haxx especially when compared to Yagudo/Quadavs' defensive moves. Certain enemy troops also only seem to favor certain zones, my personal favourite is Meriphataud Mountains followed by Grauberg when campaigning under-70 jobs. NIN|WHM|SMN type Yagudos don't put up much of a fight (the normal mobs that is, especially the SMN type Yags are a joke, they're basically mages but they can't summon or cast anything as their leader NM is the only one with Elementals). Plus both Graub and Merip are wide open zones with plenty of room to kite without getting aggro even at lower levels. The otherwiki lists enemy troops and their jobs and under each NM the names of zones they can attack/defend.
    Category:Campaign Battles - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki

EDIT: Found the same campaign point calculation page on Wiki as there is on BGWiki only this one looks slightly more up to date:
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ca...culation_Guide

iirc, the ffxiclopedia point calculation guide is fairly accurate. as a side note, spamming low cost DoTs on fortifications or slinging debuffs that are not already on the mobs and you know you won't stick are very effective methods for gaining xp in campaign. just mind that you don't get yourself killed in the process.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Pick out a single mob away from the pack and solo it. Single mob and using a ton of JA's/spells can rack up the points quickly. Watch out for incomming waves. Damn shadow mobs with their no warning of attack messages...

HI HOGIE!!

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

If you have a subjob that needs leveled, Campaign OPs are useful.

Operations like Slaughterhouse and Cut and Cauterize can net you 200-300+ points per. Get a party of 6, each with 7 Op Credits (levels and jobs don't matter) and just grind away. Slaughterhouse III you can easily get 300 XP per bomb (only the person who got the mission from the town gets AN.) That's 12,000+ XP each in an afternoon. Actual number of XP depends on the mission (I, II, or III), and may also depend upon your highest medal level.

If you don't have Allied Tags, you don't get aggro during Campaign Battles, and you can just sit there and as long as you don't attack a mob, nothing happens.

COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV
    COPPER-SHELLED QUADAV

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by McGoonagle View Post
    If you don't have Allied Tags, you don't get aggro during Campaign Battles, and you can just sit there and as long as you don't attack a mob, nothing happens.
    Make sure you don't have someone in your party who does have tags.