FFXIV Character
    Artemas Artemas
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Running shoes!

Hi.
    I'm looking for new running shoes, and I'd like to see what you guys are using.
    I'm currently using the Brooks Adrenaline GTS line and love how they feel (I'm flat footed with a tendency to overpronate), so I'm generally interested in a running shoe with stability and some range of motion control.
    The GTS 9s have some pretty horrible reviews so far that I've read.
    I'm reluctant to venture into new runners since it's hard to tell how you will like the shoe until after the first hundred miles, so I'm open to recommendations of what you're using.

Thanks ahead of time for your feedback/suggestions.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Mizuno Wave Elixer would be a really good performance road shoe for stability. It's lightweight and made for mild overpronantors. I've never ran in them but I have a friend who uses stability shoes and swears by them. I wouldn't recommend keeping a shoe past the 300-400 mile mark if your in dire need of stability either, you'll probably wear them down and risk injury past that point. I'm not a big fan of Brooks shoes. I don't know if I could really make any other suggestions, as I suppinate and mid-forefoot strike. I use a rotation Mizuno Waveriders, Saucony Tangents, Adizero PRs (road flats), and Nike Free 5.0s. I've heard mixed reviews about the underarmour shoes, but I would recommend avoiding shoes in their first release. UA did have some of the best minds in the industry work on designing them, so I think they'll pump out some amazing shoes if they keep on it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I picked up a pair of Mizunos a few months ago. I tried on a bunch of brands and they were far and away the most comfortable.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

The only bad thing about Mizuno's, and problematic for the way I run, is they seem to all fit really loose in the heel. It's an easy fix though if you loop the top two eyelets and pull the strings through the loops. I tried to draw a picture, but it's kind of hard to see. If you don't have a problem with a loose heel, then you may not have to worry, but it aggravates the hell out of me.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5669/shoes.jpg

E. Body
    BG Level

hey, sounds like I'm pretty much exactly like you when it comes to shoes and pronation, used the brooks adrenaline GTS 8 for a good long while, recently retired them to my walk-around shoes and have since picked up a pair of Mizuno wave inspire 4. I like them a lot. the guy told me they're the lightest training shoe on the market too when I bought them (January). they feel really comfortable, the heel problem isn't an issue for me, and I love the weight plates in the middle of them, really makes a big diff on my feet, I can tell.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I bought 2 pairs of Mizuno wave inspire 3s a while back and have been swapping back and forth between them, and have really liked them. I don't run as much as I want so they're still in good shape, but I'll probably replace them with something comprable when they do wear out. I also have a really old pair of wave Nirvana 2s that I still use for walking around since they're already beat up.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Never been in the Inspire's, but looking at the specs, the guy didn't know his shoe specs. They aren't heavy, but they are pretty average. They weigh almost identical to the brooks GTS 9s. The Elixer 4's are a full 2 ounces lighter, and were available in january. My suggestion would be to order the shoes off of Running Warehouse: running shoes and apparel and get on a treadmill with them. They have a fucking fantastic return policy, so you can test drive them with no questions asked. I wouldn't go outside and scuff em' up and try to return them though, use a treadmill. I can give you a coupon code to get 15% off of anything you order (except; huge exception: Mizuno and I think asics products). Includes shoes, clothes, accessories, anything. Prices are really good too.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I will recommend Nike Air Presto, the most comfortable sneakers i have ever had. My first pair i have had for 4 years since 2005 and Nike is about to release the 2009 version sometime this April. i will grab a pair as soon as they are out, and you should do the same!

Nike Air Presto 2009 | NiceKicks.com

E. Body
    BG Level

also my friend swears by these, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone but he loves them for some reason:

Nike Air Zoom Explosion Road 2 - Free Shipping

I think the name of the shoe is its only saving grace. And the fact that there's a previous Nike Air Zoom Road Explosion and it's received an update. >_>

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I've been running for the past 10 to 12 years and I havnt found a more reliable pair of shoes after I got Mizuno's. The comfort and durability of them is unmatched. Its true about the heel thing but the tip Tyche gave is the best I could possibly give aswell. But honestly diffrent people like diffrent shoes, go with what works for you.

Taggerung

I'm running in the Mizuno Wave Inspires right now. They seem to be slightly less stable than the GTS 8's but they work better for me because of the lower profile heel.

If you're looking into lighter weight performance trainers, you should look into the Asics DS Trainers, Mizuno Wave Elixers, NB 903, and Saucony Tangents. They all have significantly less stability than you're used to with the Adrenalines though.

Honestly, if you're happy with the GTS 8's i think you'd be better off buying a pair or two of them off runningwarehouse.com while they have them in stock still. Some alternatives though if you are looking for something in the same stability range would be the Mizuno Inspires or Nirvanas, Or the Asics 2140's.

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I love my Brooks running shoes. I overpronate pretty bad and have moderately flat and wide feet, so Road Runner Sports gave me The Beast.

Love that store btw.. they fit me perfectly via treadmill & videotaping how I run.

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

I have some Asics GT-2140's, best running shoes that I've ever owned. My wife swears by Asics, so I decided to try a pair, worked out pretty well I'd say.