+ Reply to Thread
    New Spam Forum
    BG Level

New Hardrive not recognized

just bought a new 1tb sata hdd

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

doesn't show up in bios, or in disk management.

I took out my other SATA drive and put this one in its place just to get it working, but no luck. Whenever i put this one in, my Via Sata/Raid controller whatever gets a yellow exclamation point in device manager and says "this device couldn't start", it works perfectly fine with the other hdd (also i did update this today just in case it was the problem, but didn't work with old or new version). I don't have a raid set up, I didn't change any settings between taking out the one 1tb sata hdd and putting in the new one to set it up.

I read some things about getting some drivers or something and putting them on a floppy disk, but didn't really understand it, and then I lost the page.

It is running and spinning. I'm using windows xp. if any more information is needed just tell me and i'll try to supply it.

Gonna put it in another computer in a bit to see if it's possible DOA, but would appreciate any tips on how to get my computer to recognize it. Pretty sure i had the same problem with the last hdd i bought, but i got it working somehow, alas that was a year ago and I don't remember how i did it at all.

thanks

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Usually people have this problem because the drive isn't formatted, but if yours isn't even showing up in the BIOS then you might have bigger problems. Try using a different SATA slot on your mobo?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

nevermind, looked at other hardrive and noticed it had a jumper. put a jumper on the new one and whammo, fixed.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I had a similar problem, where I needed to create a Slip-Stream Windows XP with Service Pack 3 disc, in order for windows XP to install on my 1 TB hard drive. The reason being was I had an older Windows XP Disc that didn't recognized hard drives that big.

At least your fix was simple one