Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Japan to 'destroy' N Korea rocket

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Japan to 'destroy' N Korea rocket

Japan says it is deploying missile interceptors to destroy any parts of a North Korean rocket that might fall on its territory.
    North Korea has said it will launch a satellite into orbit next month.
    South Korea, Japan and the US say the launch is cover for a test of the Taepodong-2 ballistic missile.
    The US said a launch would violate UN Security Council resolutions. Russia said North Korea should "abstain" from testing any missiles.

'Assure safety'
    Japan's Defence Minister Yasukazu Hamada issued the orders to mobilise Japan's missile defence shield after a meeting with Prime Minister Taro Aso and cabinet ministers.
    "We will do our best to handle any flying object from North Korea in order to assure the Japanese people's safety and security," said Mr Hamada.

"A satellite or a missile - we are displeased with anything that is going to fly over our land, and such an action must be stopped."
    It is the first time that constitutionally pacifist Japan has deployed the shield. The country's military is also expected to deploy warships off its coast.
    North Korea says it intends to test-fire the rocket between the 4 and 8 April.
    The trajectory issued by Pyongyang shows the rocket will pass over Japan, with the first booster stage landing in the sea to the west, the second in the Pacific Ocean to the east.
    The interception is only likely to be activated if the launch does not go as planned and debris appears to be falling towards Japan.
    Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Alexei Borodavkin told journalists that the launch had led to increased tensions in the region, "and this is why it would be better if our partners in North Korea abstained from this".
    Japan revised its Self-Defence Forces Law in 2005, legalising possible interceptions of ballistic missiles.
    But the country's pacifist constitution does not allow it to intercept a missile if it is clearly heading elsewhere.
    The Japanese government had previously warned it would try to shoot down any missile or debris that threatens to hit its territory.
    North Korea has said it would regard any rocket intercept as an act of war.
    I find this particularly interesting, I wonder if a shitstorm will follow.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Japan to 'destroy' N Korea rocket

I find this particularly interesting, I wonder if a shitstorm will follow.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...seAnimated.gif

Take off every 'ZIG'!!
    http://www.cynicalsmirk.com/images/mecha.jpg

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Beckwin we take out fearless leader before it ever comes to this. He is the Jack Bauer of BG.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I think N Korea is just wanting an excuse to start a fight -_- has anything good come out of that country

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    I think N Korea is just wanting an excuse to start a fight -_- has anything good come out of that country
    Not that I know of. They're so anal these days I think it'll be good to start a fight. We can then just go rush them down and turn the country into a parking lot.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

You mean besides inspiration for one of the best songs in the history of mankind? No not really.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

You know, I am half hoping that they actually give us a pretext to liberate those poor north koreans. The downside is that Seoul, the capital of south korea is so close to the DMZ that it will easily be destroyed in a military confrontation with the North, which has thousands of missiles programmed to launch in the event of a geopolitical meltdown. Also, China won't let it degrade to that extent because once the regime in north korea is overturned, there will be a couple millions of refugees fleeing to China.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by 0ni0n View Post
    You know, I am half hoping that they actually give us a pretext to liberate those poor north koreans. The downside is that Seoul, the capital of south korea is so close to the DMZ that it will easily be destroyed in a military confrontation with the North, which has thousands of missiles programmed to launch in the event of a geopolitical meltdown.
    Exactly.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Nothing really comes to mind.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I knew someone would get my "greatest song" reference eventually.

Black Belt
    BG Level

we aren't gonna liberate shit because there's nothing to gain, and reunification is an idea that's losing popularity with each generation in korea, from what I can tell. there's compassion for the koreans in the north, but no one wants to deal with the issues a reunification would bring.

i mean, parts of east germany are still a comparative shithole.

it's a sad situation for sure though; even if the Kim now-dynasty loses power, the people won't prevail because 1 they're institutionally nationalistic and 2 the chinese pull the strings and no one fucks with china.

i'm about 10 miles from seoul right now. last week my neighborhood tested the sirens. no one really seems too worried though. if on the off chance something actually did happen, the first conflict would be with japan so hopefully I'd have time to gtfo or head south/to the countryside.

i think yayaok and maachaq are in korea as well. three person sabotage squad go!

also i still think its reasonable to believe that it really is just a satellite. satellites are a status symbol/milestone for a country and for one with ego issues like N Korea, it really is feasible that they really want a satellite.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

North Korea is so fucked. Everything they do seems to be aimed at provoking the world to pay attention to it, and not in a good way. More like a "please come and kick my balls so hard they become lodged in my throat" kind of way.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Thank you Beckwin, when I said you were Jack Bauer and were infiltrating the North no one believed me.

You are a real American hero sir.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Japan Goliath's + South Korea Zerg rush might just win this.

Black Belt
    BG Level

i'm only going to nkorea to get a suitcase nuke (henceforth known as snuke) and then the next time hilldawg comes to seoul (she was here a few weeks ago I saw her speak on tv) I'll hide it in her snatch.

then i blow it up when she has a meeting with capitalist roader Obama.

viva la revolucion

I went to Seoul w/ some Korean friends after HS. Twas' good times. Twas.

Fuck you Kim Jong Ill.

EDIT:

I have to say, that I never got sense of the political situation there AT ALL during HS. My school had a regular exchange program thing (one-way) with some school in S. Korea. We always had like 40-50 S. Koreans at our school. They weren't altogether tribal either. We mingled. I got asked to Sadie Hawkins my Sophmore year by one korean chick and overall they were really cool.

Only thing is that they always ate those smelly ass noodles. Smelly but...tasty

Black Belt
    BG Level

frankly the strongest socio/political theme I've picked up is widespread hate for Japan. i had a 7 year old girl tell me this the other day: "America is good because America did bad things to Japan"

as far as mingling, it's been limited for me b/c of the language barrier. but generally very nice people. very socially conservative (big on family. people live at home until they get married. drugs frowned on heavily. confucian influences abound- in language and customs) in some ways and in other ways not (ok with abortion, prostitution is rampant... basically men can fuck around while in their loveless marriages while famous females get sent to prison for it. booze-a-holics.),from our left-right perspective. very nationalistic though, it's very easy to see.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Just carpet bomb DPRK with loaves of bread. Then after their first decent meal of their lives the people might actually have the strength to overthrow I'm-Not-Dead Jong Il.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Quote Originally Posted by Beckwin View Post
    frankly the strongest socio/political theme I've picked up is widespread hate for Japan. i had a 7 year old girl tell me this the other day: "America is good because America did bad things to Japan"
    One of my ex's is Korean and my God she fucking hated the Japanese. Considering the history between the countries it's hardly a surprise there's still an immense amount of bad blood between them.