FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Ok. I seriously have to ask the BLMs that are crying a question:

Where the fuck did SE say BLMs would be getting adjustments? I recall them only saying WHM and RDM getting adjustments and that they're fixing SMN Rage/Ward..they've said nothing about BLMs, and besides..what DOES BLM need? They're still powerful as fuck, the only thing I've been hearing is "Give BLMs Dark Arts and remove SCH."
    B-b-b-but SE intended for BLM to be the best nukers evar!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    It is really unfortunate that they fixed the range only on Ward and not Rage. Maybe there was something lost in translation? I do recall them bringing up the whole problem with Rage pacts at one point in an interview.
    What they said was that rage wouldn't kill the timer/take MP if it goes out of range when it's used.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

And whms were the best healers, but that didn't stop SE from giving them everything they wanted and a pony on top of it.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    And whms were the best healers, but that didn't stop SE from giving them everything they wanted and a pony on top of it.
    Are you really actually jealous? My god.

When did FFXI become preschool?

Quote Originally Posted by Blasta View Post
    Ceremonial Dagger (or 2 ceres) + Enspell is already a great way to solo shit faster and giving 0 TP. You can always switch Enspells to make them resist less. Obviously RDM is never going to go melee HNMs. Its just extra dmg.

Im not saying Enspell II is a solution that made everyone go omg wow, everyone expected it. I mean lets face it, i myself dont like the enspell idea much but then again SE seemed to listen us players.
    Scroll up and read the whole thing lol. People are complaining because they want enspell to proc on multihit weapons too. As I have already mentioned, RDM who solo NMs rarely use multihit weapon because it feeds TP to the NM. Enspell IIs do help solo RDM who melee with ceremonial dagger.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Are you really actually jealous? My god.

Around April 2006.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Please tell me this is just a mistranslation and that the update actually doesn't suck.

Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlah View Post
    Scroll up and read the whole thing lol. People are complaining because they want enspell to proc on multihit weapons too. As I have already mentioned, RDM who solo NMs rarely use multihit weapon because it feeds TP to the NM. Enspell IIs do help solo RDM who melee with ceremonial dagger.
    Oh my bad, i can always blame the massive amounts of posts right?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Good to know that whm can do even one fifth of what a red mage can do because it's oh so versatile.

Go play every other FF again. Red Mage is supposed to be capable, yet mediocre at everything, yet everyone wants them to be the best at everything. Square is actually more in line with the job they created than what you people want it to be.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sept, I seem to remember you telling us that you originally leveled RDM because it was a mage with a sword. This might be a good enough reason to use swords or daggers, we don't know yet. RDM didn't need buffs anywhere else, we all knew it, and it's been repeated ad nauseum. It's great at some things, good at others. It doesn't need to be the best at everything to be useful. There's one specific point, though, that is worth making.

WHM is the best healer, it is the fault of the playerbase that they refuse to accept it.
    To you, was WHM the best at healing before Sublimation? Or did it require a RDM's refresh to beat RDMs?

There are mobs that aren't immune to certain spells that are simply very resistant. Kirin has some number in his values that corresponds to his magic resistance and, with enough Macc and -Resistance, you may be able to overcome it reliably, possibly even with Silence. The same is true of ToAU HNMs et al. The game is not programmed to make enfeebles Eseal only. It's all calculated resistance.

Furthermore, any enhancement to RDM is enhancement to a slot you are already using. A melee RDM can still refresh, haste, enfeeble, and cure (10% potency isn't a huge deal). It just isn't always going to be easy and, before this update, was not worth it. Depending on the magnitude of the update, meleeing may be worth it. It adds another layer of things that RDM can be doing while it does its other RDMy things.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

SE has the perfect setup for a great April Fool's update note now.

April 1st: RDM Updates Redeux!

April 2nd: lolRDM - You got trolled!

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Waahhhhh mommy that WHM over that got 3 candy bars, I want 3 candy bars too! Wahh.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

You know what's funny about the RDMs bitching though?

RDM WAS NEVER BROKEN RDM IS BY FAR ONE OF THE MOST PERFECTLY BALANCED JOBS..YOU GUYS GOT YOUR ADJUSTMENTS THROUGHOUT FFXI'S LIFESPAN. QUIT CRYING.

>.>

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Ahlah View Post
    Seriously why are ppl so obsessed with enspell II that does 40 damage per proc? How's it going to affect your playstyle? Enspell damage can be easily resisted by VT+ mob. All it does is help you to kill weak mob faster. Your RDM is still not going to replace a melee job in merit party or HNM fight.
    It's less of an obsession, and more of a realistic look at why SE would limit it to initial attacks only. As Enspells can do 20ish damage now, but apply to multiple hits, how much damage would it take before they'd consider it to be "too much" to let proc more than once per attack round?

Also, as a halfway optimistic look at Composure...the wording on the U.S. site doesn't say that this is -melee- accuracy. I mean, it fits, and there's a good chance that's all it is...but what if it's MAcc (or ACC + MAcc)?
    The recast penalty is harsh, but if it's to counter basically getting the MAcc of staves, then it could be worth it >_> For backline, stacking staves + a second MAcc bonus equal to them would be almost like getting a Dark/Light Arts style skill bonus.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Destinye View Post
    Around October 2003.
    ftfy

Ashira

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    1) Saying that RDMs can tank is like saying that RDMs can nuke- you can try, but you are going to be terrible at it compared to the real people who do it. Get caught with your shadows down and you crumple like wet cardboard. Not to mention mobs that hit too fast to blink tank.
    2) This is true, except for all of the mobs that are mostly resistant or completely immune to your enfeebles. Then your merits and gear is completely worthless and you are only there for your level 41 spell. Not to mention a decently well geared WHM or SCH will enfeeble any mob that is not covered by the above categories nearly as well as a RDM.
    3) WHM is a far better healer in merits or any other situation. Besides, who has healers on the inside for merit parties anyway? Put your healers in an outside party and add in another DD, BRD, or COR.
    4) Our only actual use!
    5) Who asked for this? Because it wasn't me. I wanted an improvement to number 2.

And no, I don't tank on RDM. I leave tanking to the job that has been obscenely buffed to do it and doesn't need a 5 minute head start to prevent BLMs from getting hate by looking at the mob crosseyed.
    Who has healers on the inside for merit parties? Um.. most normal regular people? Hate to say it, you guys are the only ones I've ever seen that merits the way you guys do. I don't know if it's a Bahamut thing or just a BG thing, but most people don't actually take 10 characters out to a camp for a merit party. Some of us may have 2 accounts, but most linkshells have adapted to smaller numbers and such rather than have umpteen members play 2 or 3 characters each, all the time. That's not terribly enjoyable to me, I'd rather focus on one thing, thanks. And some of those healers would like merits too, yeah.

Also, RDMs aren't horrible tanks at all, it takes a little gear specialization just like anything. It's one of those things that you can't really knock until you do it and know what you're talking about. RDMs have more survivability with shadows down than any NIN does, btw. They can tank the stuff that hit too fast to blink tank better than the NINs. It's not like they have no access to any haste gear or anything... or have other damage mitigation abilities, or the ability to cure themselves. Right? It's not like they're first choice, obviously, but the way you've worded your retort just shows how little you know about it.

As to enfeebles, there are mobs that yes, sure, WHMs and such can land enfeebles on, but RDMs will land the enfeebles more CONSISTENTLY. And their skill and gear and whatnot is such that they can focus on other modifiers to make their enfeebles more potent and effective.

That being said, I have a RDM too (with which yes, I have tanked and rather decently I'd like to think ). Yes, I'm sad that the update wasn't nearly as great as the WHM's update, I was hoping that stances was going to be a common thread for all jobs - but in all truth, outside of adding a tick or two to Refresh, I've never seen much in the way of improving magical RDM anyway, to a point that wouldn't either render something else obsolete or be potentially too strong.

I'll hold out and hope Composure is all accuracy, including magic, since I don't see a point in tying together melee accuracy and spell recast. At least with the spell duration it's similar to whichever BRD ability blah blah.

What I DO wish is that with new spells and abilities they've added since first implementing the merit system, is a full refund on all merit points spent and a completely and total overhaul to incorporate the new stuff into merits, and get rid of some of that stupid crap.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Not to mention that Red Mage almost always has access to a good majority of armor added every update which also has helped change the way the job has played. But oh no~ no new job abilities! Go ahead, you guys can take expacion. I'll take your flower petal ws in a heartbeat.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

RDM melee adjustments were doomed from the start. Why? Because monsters aren't hard enough to justify having the mages put in DPS at this point in the games life. Back in 2004/5 when people were fighting ITs and doing SC+MB perhaps this update would have been recieved extremely well but in todays post-TOAU world it just did not stand a chance. Enjoy those resisted enspells on Colibri, from SE with <3.

Soloing something else? Maybe. Party play? Backline those mages, melee are already sponging it up enough.

Red Mage is already stuck doing so many things in a typical party, you think if SE really wanted them to melee the first thing they would have done was make Haste/Refresh last far longer than they do now and up the MP costs.

Summoner - a job well known for its mechanical shortcomings. This update did very little for the Summoner still trying to crawl up to 75. (surprise, surprise) The merit pacts are now made more desirable for a SMN looking to merit something and ward buffs arent super tiny anymore. /glee. Too bad the job among many others still wont be called upon in a standard EXP PT.

I really wish SE looked at every job adjustment and asked themselves "Is this going to make the job more desirable in an EXP party?" Either that or bring the monsters up to par to make the tweaks worth the trouble.

BTW, everyone that demands BLM adjustements are pretty retarded (no offence but wtf...). This job is nearly (if not already) complete. Is succesful on end-game scene, is quite succesful at solo, can, unlike any other job, get 75 w/o being in single party in reasonable time. One of the less party dependant job and one of the most required job in most of this game activities.
    What do you need more? -ga IV? tier V spells or AM III? Boosting BLM would like boosting more Samurai nowadays.
    Tell that to the aspiring Black Mage trying to actually GET to 75. Oh wait... they are stuck soloing the game from 50-75 because of poor party mechanics! That doesnt sound broken at all!

Black Mage has things going for it but it is undeniable that the job is all but dead in the party scene. This is a party game right? The least BLM could get is a passing glance when someone is building an EXP party. BLM doesnt need more firepower, but they need more party friendly mechanics that help support the party. Why? Because being a one-trick pony in todays FFXI just does not cut it. (see: Ranger. Another one-trick pony job)

LOL, and I thought giving to Warriors Retaliation was a joke...

But I like SMN adjust, I always like the 'mage side' of avatars kinda more than 'melee one', but I agree this job doesn't keep the pace with game style nowadays as someone mentioned.

BTW, everyone that demands BLM adjustements are pretty retarded (no offence but wtf...). This job is nearly (if not already) complete. Is succesful on end-game scene, is quite succesful at solo, can, unlike any other job, get 75 w/o being in single party in reasonable time. One of the less party dependant job and one of the most required job in most of this game activities.
    What do you need more? -ga IV? tier V spells or AM III? Boosting BLM would like boosting more Samurai nowadays.

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ashira View Post
    Who has healers on the inside for merit parties? Um.. most normal regular people? Hate to say it, you guys are the only ones I've ever seen that merits the way you guys do. I don't know if it's a Bahamut thing or just a BG thing, but most people don't actually take 10 characters out to a camp for a merit party. Some of us may have 2 accounts, but most linkshells have adapted to smaller numbers and such rather than have umpteen members play 2 or 3 characters each, all the time. That's not terribly enjoyable to me, I'd rather focus on one thing, thanks. And some of those healers would like merits too, yeah.
    Every BG merit party I've been in has had healers inside the party. It's not a BG thing; it's a septimus thing.

I'll hold out and hope Composure is all accuracy, including magic, since I don't see a point in tying together melee accuracy and spell recast. At least with the spell duration it's similar to whichever BRD ability blah blah.
    It's a melee buff. Less spell casting = more melee swings. More accuracy is good for melee swings. It reduces your "backline" abilities for a melee buff.